managed switch recommendation

amrogers3

Gawd
Got pfSense installed on a superMicro MBD-X7SPA-HF-O Mini ITX Intel Atom D510 processor motherboard. Want to setup up multiple VLANs on one NIC and forward traffic to a managed switch.

Trying to find a good small footprint 12-16 port switch that supports the following:
  1. managed
  2. gigabit
  3. SPAN/port mirroring for SNORT

Got some good feedback from members here on the Cisco SG300-10, however it doesn't have enough ports. Also, read some good reviews on the Dell PowerEdge 2816 but I would like to get some recommendation from you guys before I throw down $200+

The Dell PowerConnect 2816 is a decent affordable web-managed switch that's fanless for quiet operation. The 2816 supports VLAN, but keep in mind that its configuration for VLAN trunking isn't configured in the same way as the other Dell PowerConnect CLI-based switches, meaning one can't specify a port as a trunk port.

I used the instructions from this site to successfully configure VLAN trunking between a Vyatta router and a Dell PowerConnect 2824: http://www.askshank.com/2008/07/dell-powerconnect-2724-and-vlan-trunk. It's instructions for a 2700 series, but holds true for the 2800 series as well.

I used the instructions from this site to successfully configure VLAN trunking between a Vyatta router and a Dell PowerConnect 2824: http://www.askshank.com/2008/07/dell-powerconnect-2724-and-vlan-trunk. It's instructions for a 2700 series, but holds true for the 2800 series as well.

I use a HP Procurve 1800 it can do all what you require.

This will be may first attempt at using and configuring a managed switch. I am going to attached it to my pfSense box. Will I need to do any special trunking or configuration to make the PowerConnect "talk" with the pfSense box?

This will be may first attempt at using and configuring a managed switch. I am going to attached it to my pfSense box. Will I need to do any special trunking or configuration to make the PowerConnect "talk" with the pfSense box?

Just tag the vlan(T on procurves) on the port going to pfsense.

Don't forget to setup vlans on pfsense

Hey guys did a little more research and have couple more questions.

1. I would like to implement ACL on the VLANs. I assume pfsense will handle this via the firewall, correct?
  2. Is there any benefits to going with a Procurve 1800 over a powerconnect 2816 or vice versa?

Back