steakman1971
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Nov 22, 2005
- Messages
- 2,433
I'd like to get rid of my network mess I currently have: a few switches chained together. I'm basically out of room and some are only 10/100. I'd like to upgrade to either a 16 or 24 port gigabit switch.
I'm trying to decide if it is worth the extra money to go with a managed switch. This adds on a decent amount to the price.
Currently, I have 4 desktop computers (3 are used for everyday tasks like web browsing, some game play etc. Another is my HTPC and runs XBMC.) We also have a few iPad's that often stream Netflix and do some web browsing. Occasionally, I'll use my laptop from work.
I have a DroboFS that backs up computers and stores all of my files for XBMC.
Future options? Hard to say. Could have IP phone, TV's hooked up, additional HTPC/Roku/AppleTV-type devices.
I'd guess right now, unmanaged would work fine. The network traffic will usually not tax the switch. I occasionally copy lots of large files on the network.
Opinions please?
I'm trying to decide if it is worth the extra money to go with a managed switch. This adds on a decent amount to the price.
Currently, I have 4 desktop computers (3 are used for everyday tasks like web browsing, some game play etc. Another is my HTPC and runs XBMC.) We also have a few iPad's that often stream Netflix and do some web browsing. Occasionally, I'll use my laptop from work.
I have a DroboFS that backs up computers and stores all of my files for XBMC.
Future options? Hard to say. Could have IP phone, TV's hooked up, additional HTPC/Roku/AppleTV-type devices.
I'd guess right now, unmanaged would work fine. The network traffic will usually not tax the switch. I occasionally copy lots of large files on the network.
Opinions please?