Man electrocuted by PC

Sounds like a meh story, no real description or cause... all the picture shows is the inside of a computer case...

I've had open cases and touched cases while the computer was running (even components... like fans/heatsinks)

Regardless... that sucks :(

Here's the thing.. with an ATX system, outside of the PSU (and maybe some CCFL power supplies) everything inside your computer case is at low voltage, and really unlikely to kill you.

My immediate thoughts would be that chinese PSU manufacturers make extra crap ones for the domestic market, and the case somehow became energized, or that his chassis had become live due to earth leakage outside of the computer.

even if its at low voltage, its the amps that will kill you. I have always been careful with my sides open when working or just because I am too lazy to put them back on.

Just serves as a cautionary tale I guess.

According to the report, his sweaty legs came into contact with the computer's wiring, which might have caused a short circuit. The computer's internal voltage is as high as 380 volts, enough to give a deadly shock.

That quote was taken from the page i came too when i clicked the pic......

I suppose having sweaty legs would cause it but im not sure...just thought i would post it.

I've worked on my pc for such a long time that I've built up a sweat before. I just make sure to wipe my forehead and make sure my hands are dry before touching anything. I always ground myself on the case before touching anything as well.

even if its at low voltage, its the amps that will kill you. I have always been careful with my sides open when working or just because I am too lazy to put them back on.

Technically it's the energy that will kill you.

I've been shocked before by a 750w toughpower and in jest fyne .

I've been hit really hard by some un-grounded circuits in my house... The workbench in my basement has ungrounded power, and I've often got some nasty zaps when I short something out.

Course, I've accidentally brushed up against the 240v mains rail when trying to reset our house's power from a circuit break (I short circuit things often...). Now, after the resulting trip to the hospital (and the longest, loudest string of swear words ever uttered), I was completely fine!

this sounds a bit off to me.

CCL are very high voltage but low amps and most of the other stuff is low amps and low voltage. The only serious voltage / amperage is inside the PSU. There you have a small section of 110V / 220V main. If he had the top of his PSU and the side off his PC he could have given himself a pretty heft 220V shock!

I have had a couple of nasty shocks from a PC but that was due to an ungrounded main and a very charged outer case, I bent over the case to get around the back and the shock went through my trousers and got me on the balls. That really really hurt.

:rolleyes:

you need high voltage to deliver the current through the resistance of your body. You know what happens if you grab the terminals of a 12v car battery capable of hundreds of amps: nothing.

you need high voltage to deliver the current through the resistance of your body. You know what happens if you grab the terminals of a 12v car battery capable of hundreds of amps: nothing.

Exacly, unless you are talking about voltages like 10,000v @ 0.00001a where ampage certianly would kill you.

Back