Man Arrested For Trolling On The Internet

I'm not sure what I think about this, but I'm kind of glad he got arrested. Considering what a heartless ass he was, he deserves it.

So if the Tea Party Presidential debate was held in the UK, could the entire audience have been arrested for cheering on letting someone die for not having health insurance? ;)

So if the Tea Party Presidential debate was held in the UK, could the entire audience have been arrested for cheering on letting someone die for not having health insurance? ;)

Simple.

The Tea Partiers have tarred and feathered your honorable members, plundered your banks, burnt your cars, denied all obedience to your laws and authority; yet so clement and so long forbearing has our conduct been that it is incumbent on us now to take a different course. Whatever may be the consequences, we must risk something; if we do not, all is over

What say we find his email, facebook, page, etc. and start harassing him? We can try a concerted and multi-pronged campaign to demean, humiliate, and break down his sense of self. Considering what a total loser he is, it shouldn't take long, Maybe we can drive him to kill himself. It will be an act of "good" bullying.

Joking aside... it really is scary to criminalize things of this sort, despicable as this idiot is. Maybe they can just post his address so her brother can come by and kick him in the nads or something.

Public stockades in a tutu. I think they should do it for wannabe gangsters in the US. Going to jail makes you a hardass and is seen as a rite of passage. Spending time in a busy area in the stocks wearing a tutu being the laughingstock of everyone walking by...not so badass.

hahaha! That would be awesome! And they should allow rotten vegetable stands so that passerbys can buy rotten produce to fling at the stockaded tutu wearers!

The sentence isn't harsh enough. Idiots like these need to be wipe off the face of this Earth. That guy is just a waste of space. He's the type of guy that is waiting to explode and kill someone.

He may have not been involved in the bullying that led to the girl's suicide,but it wouldn't be hard to believe it would be just the sort of thing someone with such a total lack of human empathy would end up doing. He got exactly what he deserved,people defending him on the basis of "free speech" or railing against Big Brother are really grasping at straws on this one. Or maybe they just see a bit too much of themselves in him?

people defending him
First off, nobody's defending him. He's not even defending himself.

Second, it's frightening to see people say that free speech should be limited only to speech that doesn't make people angry.

Are you going to be so eager to imprison people when they decide that swearing is offensive, that calling someone a name is offensive, or that insulting the tenets of the Holy Quran is offensive?

First they came for the jerks, but I did not speak up, because I was not a jerk...

Fuck, i just broke that law.... how can anyone think offensive communication should be illegal? many a year ago saying vagina or penis would have been offensive, how could offensive communication even be classified?

Different people are offended by different things, it could be considered offensive for me to say evolution is a lie or there is no christian god.

And my post like many others here has nothing to do with this troll or his actions, it's about offensive communication being illegal, how could anyone here think it's a good idea for it to be legal to lock someone up for saying something offensive and even more so as what offends differs between everyone.

And? There's no such thing as the right to not be offended.

Now if only we can get the anti-religious people that get offended at any mention of God to understand this concept, we can make some real progress in society. Oh yes, throw in the people that throw down the race card at the drop of a hat as well.

That being said, this guy is a complete tool. There's being offensive and there's deliberate harassment. I'd say his behavior falls under the latter of the two.

That being said, this guy is a complete tool. There's being offensive and there's deliberate harassment. I'd say his behavior falls under the latter of the two.

I agree with this.

What he's doing is not merely trolling with retarded post trying to be funny, but he's deliberately harassing the victim's family members.

Hey, some of you (the idiots), the First Amendment was not created to protect nice speech. You don't need a constitution to say it's "o-k" to wish someone a good day or to tell them how beautiful they are. The whole purpose of the First Amendment is to protect speech people may have a problem with, either because it's opposing views or because it's offensive to them (i.e. "My, you're looking ugly today."). Likewise, any protector of free speech will have a problem when someone is charged for exercising that free speech, no matter where such person resides. It doesn't matter if this is in the UK, the US, or China.

But to say that the US should change its laws because the UK is somehow better is just completely ridiculous.

No fucking way?

I don't troll on the internet or whatever but thank god I'm not in the UK.

First they came for the jerks, but I did not speak up, because I was not a jerk...

First they came for the nazis, but I did not speak up, because I was not a nazi...

I hate to see you ruin a good argument with that line of thinking.

That being said, this guy is a complete tool.

lqtm, I think you're giving him too much credit.

Second, it's frightening to see people say that free speech should be limited only to speech that doesn't make people angry.

And if they believe that, then the shouldn't say anything that may make this guy emotional either. Or anyone else. That might be tough to do.

Seriously stop trying so hard to cover such things with freedom of speech, there is/has always been a limit to it.

You're free to say it and you're responsible for it. Freedom isn't free.

So if the Tea Party Presidential debate was held in the UK

You're funny.

how can anyone think offensive communication should be illegal

And yet, there was a demand that someone shut him up, and it was filled. Then we'll have a flow of ideas about what to do to this poor soul so that he doesn't do it again.

Different people are offended by different things, it could be considered offensive for me to say evolution is a lie or there is no christian god.
So should I have the freedom to "offend" you by walking up to you and punching you in the face? If not, why not?

This twat wasn't trying to argue some philosophical, religious or scientific point, he was deliberately and systematically setting out with the *sole purpose* of inflicting further pain and misery on people who were already suffering in their own private hell. We as a society (the UK, that is), have decided that's not acceptable behaviour and will be punished, and the fact that it happened online doesn't matter a crap.

Right decision IMO.

So should I have the freedom to "offend" you by walking up to you and punching you in the face? If not, why not?

Physical pain is far too easy to demonstrate to be relevant.

philosophical, religious or scientific point

These are far more dangerous and have larger potential harm. Shall we silence these?

I do not mean to be insensitive and I am inclined to agree with you that the right decision was made. At the same time I find conflict with the idea of where you draw the line, who is doing the drawing, and how it will ultimately be used.

Physical pain is far too easy to demonstrate to be relevant.
I believe it's precisely relevant. Anyone who's ever lost a child will be able to confirm that the pain suffered by this guy's victims as a result of his actions would certainly be no less than the pain you'd suffer, if I were to break your nose purely so that I could laugh at the sight of blood running down your face.

Should deliberately inflicting pain on an innocent third party for your own self-gratification only be a crime if it's physical, rather than emotional or psychological?

These are far more dangerous and have larger potential harm. Shall we silence these?
No, because they also have immense potential for good (well, actually I wouldn't make that case for religion, but that's a debate for another day). Surely you're not suggesting that this guy's actions could have any positive consequences for anyone other than himself?

I do not mean to be insensitive and I am inclined to agree with you that the right decision was made. At the same time I find conflict with the idea of where you draw the line, who is doing the drawing, and how it will ultimately be used.
Well, if you accept that some lines have to be drawn somewhere, then someone has to do the drawing, and in this case it was the judge, in accordance with laws passed by our elected representatives. Who would you have preferred it to be?

Holy shit, did they photoshop his head/neck?! I don't think it was a court sentence of trolling, I think it was an entomological discovery!

LMFAO!

I've done, and do, plenty of trolling... 9/11, abortion, retards, ethnic slurs(I'm a spic, btw), etc. I don't do "dead people" trolling because I find it tasteless (huh?).
It was fun to watch people go into a foamy frenzy over a simple(creative and funny) picture of the twin towers smoking a joint.

Taste is subjective, welcome to the internet.

I think the Brits are/have been headed down the slippery slope to 1984...

Holy shit, did they photoshop his head/neck?! I don't think it was a court sentence of trolling, I think it was an entomological discovery!

lqtm

I believe it's precisely relevant. Anyone who's ever lost a child will be able to confirm that the pain suffered by this guy's victims as a result of his actions would certainly be no less than the pain you'd suffer, if I were to break your nose purely so that I could laugh at the sight of blood running down your face.

The mental effect is resolved by acceptance which eventually brings peace. Not everyone is able to do this and so there is a need for compassionate understanding and reasonable accommodation if you will. That we expect people to do this and then criminalize them if they do not express themselves accordingly, or silence themselves, whether or not they actually believe or feel that way, is more the matter at hand. The bottom line for them will be that his actions will have a negative impact until they are accepted and resolved.

The physical effect cannot be resolved by, perhaps, rational reasoning and as such is different. You could make a case for pleasure found in pain, if you like.

Should deliberately inflicting pain on an innocent third party for your own self-gratification only be a crime if it's physical, rather than emotional or psychological?

Exactly the question, and is there is a threshold at which it becomes criminal? If I call you a name and you cry, should that be illegal? Opinions will obviously vary about this and I don't have a solid answer for you.

No, because they also have immense potential for good (well, actually I wouldn't make that case for religion, but that's a debate for another day).

Level with God
And you're in tune with the universe
Talk with yourself
And you'll hear what you wanna know ~ Movin' Out, Aerosmith

Put another way, if you only hear what you want to hear you become subject to the filter effect.

Surely you're not suggesting that this guy's actions could have any positive consequences for anyone other than himself?

Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit. ~ Napoleon Hill

Will dissent be permitted? The answer to that question will determine whether the society is a free society or a fear society. ~ Natan Sharansky

At the same time, as I ponder these points, I still stand by this:

Well, if you accept that some lines have to be drawn somewhere, then someone has to do the drawing, and in this case it was the judge, in accordance with laws passed by our elected representatives. Who would you have preferred it to be?

I'll make no argument that I have a better system.

eh can we get the picture made into a troll guy face
ts

lmao since when is being an idot a hole get you arrested.

It's frightening to see how many (clueless) people support this.

Soon, anything remotely resembling online "trolling" will be a jailable/fineable offence. I'll bet you won't cheer for the judge when he's the one sending your ass to prison because you made a "joke" no one liked.

I side with the UK, people in general on the web do not think they have to be accountable for their actions well think again. I would say instead of wasting time he get the public service in prision by cleaner the tolients, public flogging, etc.

You guys are just scared you might actually have to display a shred of decorum online. Dakoth is definitely a troll. Why would anyone defend this guys actions?

Yea the UK is going in a scary big-brother direction, but I don't find this to be a problem--amidst other troubling issues with civil liberties. He had it coming, and its a very light sentence anyway. Hopefully its a working prison, so that its not(as much) a burden on the UK taxpayers.

Oh and if you don't like this post, then you just got politely trolled. Which you apparently support wholeheartedly. So what you now?!

If you are going to insult someone, at least have the decency to spell their name correctly.

I am not defending this guys actions, nor am I a troll. I am stating that this is not a matter that should be handled by criminal law. There are plenty of Civil laws that handle stuff like this and that is where it should be dealt with. The guy is clearly a massively disturbed individual and a general blight on society. That however does not make him a criminal.

Take him behind the woodshed and beat his ass, or take him to civil court and sue him into ruin. I have zero sympathy for him either way. I simply take issue with a flagrant waste of the criminal justice system.

How can people claiming to defend free speech complain about the court making a decision but support 'someone' beating up the guy?

What's the theory, that you should be free to say anything so long as you're stronger than anyone else? That you should be able to silence anyone through beatings so long as you have enough people willing to spend a bit of time in jail for it?

How can you condone open violence and think it could lead to protecting the rights you had to put a government in the first place to uphold? You think the biggest 'bully' is ultimately going to be a nice guy?

Violence is easily defined, despite the slippery slope arguments people want to use. Whether you are being violent physically or psychologically does not matter. I'd say mentally abusive behavior is even more damaging, both to the individual and the society. Mental scars may never heal, and you can pass them along to the people you associate with in the future. You think it's a wonder that children of abusive parents tend to grow up to be abusive parents themselves?

There are libel laws as well. Are those wrong too? Should the resolution to someone spreading lies be having someone else beat them up and get charged with assault, because god forbid the state intervene to shut up someone who is deliberately causing harm with their words?

If someone is offended by what someone else says in a public setting, that's their problem. If you go up to someone and try to make them feel worse, that's harassment, and no, free speech does not let you harass people.

How can people claiming to defend free speech complain about the court making a decision but support 'someone' beating up the guy?

What's the theory, that you should be free to say anything so long as you're stronger than anyone else? That you should be able to silence anyone through beatings so long as you have enough people willing to spend a bit of time in jail for it?

How can you condone open violence and think it could lead to protecting the rights you had to put a government in the first place to uphold? You think the biggest 'bully' is ultimately going to be a nice guy?

Violence is easily defined, despite the slippery slope arguments people want to use. Whether you are being violent physically or psychologically does not matter. I'd say mentally abusive behavior is even more damaging, both to the individual and the society. Mental scars may never heal, and you can pass them along to the people you associate with in the future. You think it's a wonder that children of abusive parents tend to grow up to be abusive parents themselves?

There are libel laws as well. Are those wrong too? Should the resolution to someone spreading lies be having someone else beat them up and get charged with assault, because god forbid the state intervene to shut up someone who is deliberately causing harm with their words?

If someone is offended by what someone else says in a public setting, that's their problem. If you go up to someone and try to make them feel worse, that's harassment, and no, free speech does not let you harass people.

There was a time where two Adults (usually men to be fair) could settle their differences without requiring the involvement of lawyers and courts. While I am not advocating open war in the streets or anything like that, people these days are too soft.

Too bad first amendment rights in the US protect evil trolls such has this.

The UK got it right on this one. America actually lets its people get away with murder, figuratively speaking, when it comes to speech. Many other civilized countries, like the UK, have more restrictions, but people are still free to criticize their government, corporations, or whoever.

Americans are worried about losing their precious "free speech", but really other countries have shown us that it isn't necessarily a slippery slope. You can have free speech AND the ability to punish douchebags.

Yes. let's throw people in jail for being ducehbags. Who decides what being douchy is? Who defines "offensive?"

As to "other counties." You mean like the UK, where quacks selling pseudoscience like homeopathy or "chiropractic cures for cancer" can sue journalists for calling them quacks and thereby destroying the very people shining a light on their quackery?

That sort of "getting it right?"

No. You have no right to not be offended.

We got some things fucked up in the USA right now, the destruction of the fourth amendment, our slide into surveillance police state. Racial profiling where pearl clutching flight attendants can get American citizens hauled off a plane by SWAT and strip searched because brown skin is scary.

But we can still be doucebags.

Wake up you fucking sheeple. Land of the free? Your freedom is an illusion essentially propped up by the right to be a douche bag.

Now if only we can get the anti-religious people that get offended at any mention of God to understand this concept, we can make some real progress in society. Oh yes, throw in the people that throw down the race card at the drop of a hat as well.

Interesting...so what are your thoughts on the price of tea in China?

The more I think about this stuff, the more I get confused. The one thing I'm tired of is people thinking that the Internet is some kind of magical fairyland, where you can do wtf ever you want without consequences.

In this modern time, anyone advocating violence as a solution to this problem is just as bad as the person who committed the 'crime'. Worse, in my book. Violence is not an answer for something like this, or really ever. And as an internet troll, it's utterly impossible to fulfill this 'punishment'.

Suing someone is also not a fit punishment. What if they have nothing? This person clearly has social problems in real life. As such, he probably has problems working or maintaining a job. Suing someone into oblivion is a typical response by an uninformed American, in their over-litigious society.

I'm not sure throwing him in jail is a suitable response, either. Psychological care, and community service that requires him to interact with other people and help them would perhaps be more beneficial. I'm sure people would really calm down fast if they had to help the people they were trolling, or at least their community.

Whether you wish to acknowledge it or not, internet trolling is a problem. Not the simple name calling, but the malicious stalking and mental torture. There are laws against this in real life. It's time they're brought, sensibly, to the internet. I'm not sure a restraining order would work here, but it might.

When does trolling turn into harrassment? When you target specific people to attack and do it continuously. Had he instead wrote these things in letters and put them in their mailbox, it would be harrassment and you all would be supporting his jail time.

He should be kept off the Intertubes since he wants to make others miserable.

In this modern time, anyone advocating violence as a solution to this problem is just as bad as the person who committed the 'crime'. Worse, in my book. Violence is not an answer for something like this, or really ever. And as an internet troll, it's utterly impossible to fulfill this 'punishment'.

Suing someone is also not a fit punishment. What if they have nothing? This person clearly has social problems in real life. As such, he probably has problems working or maintaining a job. Suing someone into oblivion is a typical response by an uninformed American, in their over-litigious society.

I'm not sure throwing him in jail is a suitable response, either. Psychological care, and community service that requires him to interact with other people and help them would perhaps be more beneficial. I'm sure people would really calm down fast if they had to help the people they were trolling, or at least their community.

Whether you wish to acknowledge it or not, internet trolling is a problem. Not the simple name calling, but the malicious stalking and mental torture. There are laws against this in real life. It's time they're brought, sensibly, to the internet. I'm not sure a restraining order would work here, but it might.

Perhaps a good old fashioned ass whooping isn't the best answer and perhaps even civil handling isn't. However both are a far cry better then locking people up in prison and prosecuting them as criminals for just being assholes.

I take note that no one here has bothered to bring up WBC. It is rather funny that this group does EXACTLY the same thing that this guy did in RL and on a far bigger scale, yet I see none of you advocating them to be thrown in prison. Double standards much?

Are both groups terrible examples of human beings? Yep..do either need to be thrown in jail? Absolutely Not. The moment we start agreeing the throw these assholes in jail to "Spare our feelings" is the moment that we slide just a little further down the slope of giving up all freedom.

Some of you seriously need to think about the crap you write before doing so. Sure everyone's first reaction is "Good! serves the jerk right", but the sensible ones stop and realize that this is an issue that absolutely does not belong in the criminal courts.

I take note that no one here has bothered to bring up WBC. It is rather funny that this group does EXACTLY the same thing that this guy did in RL and on a far bigger scale, yet I see none of you advocating them to be thrown in prison.

Actually I said we should extradite WBC to the UK, so they can be locked up under their laws. Just like we hand over terrorists to Pakistan...we don't torture, we just give them to others and watch them do it. :p

I don't see how this is any different than the assholes who "protest" at the funerals of the soldiers, the Westboro Baptist group. Instead of creating a whole law around it, I like the solution that has been come up with the various Patriot Guard groups that run interference.

Back