Malicious Smartphone Replacement Parts

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
A group of researchers from Israel's Ben-Gurion University of the Negev have shown how aftermarket parts for smartphones such as replacement screens could be used to attack the device, or impersonate the user and exfiltrate data. The group has demonstrated that because most phones do not have a security check on it's display hardware, a replacement screen fitted with a microcontroller can be used to compromise a smartphone.

Pretty scary stuff when you think of how many screen replacements are done each year, and how many smartphone repair shops have popped up all over the place. That said having qualified or approved hardware for replacement parts will be pretty tricky to implement without compromising the ability to repair your devices. The full article can be found here.

The threat of a malicious peripheral existing inside consumer electronics should not be taken lightly. As this paper shows, attacks by malicious peripherals are feasible, scalable, and invisible to most detection techniques. A well motivated adversary may be fully capable of mounting such attacks in a large scale or against specific targets. System designers should consider replacement components to be outside the phone's trust boundary, and design their defenses accordingly.

The same threat is there with anything, really, not just phones. Have your car repaired? Maybe they put on parts that wear out faster so you come back faster, or make other under the hood changes to get you back.

Yes, this is a threat. An incomplete list of other threats are add in video cards, replacement network cards, USB chargers, mice, keyboards, malware aps, 'smart' devices, telemetry monitoring, and just plain stupid users.

Wonder if the funding for this report can be traced to the anti right to repair lobby?

When Apple charges $750 for a main board replacement and third parties will repair it board level for $325, expect FUD.

Wonder if the funding for this report can be traced to the anti right to repair lobby?

Doubtful -
1. There is no such thing as a anti right to repair lobby in Israel, as a matter of fact there are no true manufacturer authorized repair labs , and all mobile phones are imported by 3rd party and not by the manufacturer.
2. Israel spends a lot of money in research of cyber defense (and offense)

Doubtful -
1. There is no such thing as a anti right to repair lobby in Israel, as a matter of fact there are no true manufacturer authorized repair labs , and all mobile phones are imported by 3rd party and not by the manufacturer.
2. Israel spends a lot of money in research of cyber defense (and offense)

You think because this is from israel it can't/won't be used by that lobby ? As others pointed out, every single part of electronics can be compromised... why is it now an issue and for cellphone displays ?
They might even chose to conduct that there because of the reason you mentioned...

Lol.
You realize that almost every phone uses a different screen. To make compromised screens for all sorts of different shapes and sizes is nuts.
This is something along the lines of it can be done, but will it ever? Maybe in James bond like scenarios. But in real world situations, probably not.

Well you wouldn't make compromised screens for all models - just the most common ones.

Lol.
You realize that almost every phone uses a different screen. To make compromised screens for all sorts of different shapes and sizes is nuts.
This is something along the lines of it can be done, but will it ever? Maybe in James bond like scenarios. But in real world situations, probably not.

Looking at their pictures, it seems the comprised portion isn't even in the phone... Adding an IC that is capable of compromising AND sending the actual data could prove to be difficult with space the phones have inside nowadays...
How would the compromised data be fetched ?

EDIT: Well it looks as if they could control the TS and install malicious app, wonder if they could root the phone that way... that would be intense work indeed but doable I guess....

and people wonder why Apple tried blocking non-genuine home button replacements...

If you're taking your phone to a seedy shop to get it repaired chances are it's just easier for them to install malware.

I would imagine that someone who has your phone or device could just as easy install something on your device. I enjoy that someone decided to show us that it can be done. Way to show people new hustles gj.

and people wonder why Apple tried blocking non-genuine home button replacements...

I still question that... if someone has physical access to your device they can do whatever they want...
The only reason they are doing what they do, is to make more money while pushing it using "security" reason which are at best questionable...

Following those lines, we should only get our car repaired at the dealer. Windows installed by Microsoft. Window AC from an approved contractor and you should never attempt to buy any USB key since those can be compromise...

At some point the user has to take responsibility for their choice, OEM should never remove feature for the sake of dumb people. If I want to repair my phone/TV/etc I should be entitled too and I can't urge the release of service manuals.

Back