• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Making the switch from IDE to SATA

slowbiz

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
2,457
I'm thinking about making making the switch. Basically I've got the computer in my signature, and one hard drive is no good. It's time for a good format, but I don't want to lose all this good stuff, and frankly I've outgrown my 80 giger. I'm going to pick up a Seagate 160 GB Sata drive probably next week. So here's where I start asking stupid questions. Try hard to give the answers in laymans terms, because I'm really not as hardcore as most of the people on here.

What kind of things should I know about SATA drives? I'm going to use the computer mostly for gaming and what-not.

Should I set up different partitions for different things? If so, how should I set them up?

Are SATA drives really that much better?
 
right now, except for the few NCQ enabled drivers, sata drives are exactly the same as IDE drives, just a smaller cable.
 
Yer SATA drives are no different to IDE cept they have way better power and data cables. To answer the partitioning question, don't partition it at all. Partitioning a hdd is the most stupid thing you can do unless its for dual-boot, any other reason is pointless. :)
 
Id say the best HD setup you could do for gaming, not to mention everything else, is to have a Raptor as your booting HDD, and your 200GB SATA for storage. If you want, get two 200GB and raid them, that would be even better, or another way is to setup a server box with all the HDD's in them and just have your Raptor as your only drive. This way it will boot faster/load games faster (note:install all major apps/games on the raptor, all DATA on the 200GB thats raided or not raided) This way, if you lose your raptor or one of the HDDs, hopefully you still have one functioning with all your data that you want to keep. As for SATA or IDE, id definatly go with SATA. The bandwidth is theoretically higher i believe, even though its not always used, but not to mention you get less data loss/interfearance so it will run smoother. Finally, as for SATA drives, id go with Seagate...from my experience they are the quietist, not to mention 5 yr warrenty as opposed to 1 by maxtor or 3 by WD, and so far they are the only ones not to crap out on me :)
 
Hmm. I think that I'm still going to go with SATA. I appreciate the help you guys. Any one else have 2 cents for me?
 
Back
Top