• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Making PATA/SATA/SCSI read only

dlouhys

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 23, 2003
Messages
148
My boss asked me to work on building a machine for cloning clients workstations when they come in. I saw a company advertise a "write blocker" but it's a company for doing forensics and you have to buy it from them....which I imagine would cost a fortune. Anyways, is there any way to block write access on the hardware level, special cable, in-line adapter, controller....etc

I don't deal much with SCSI, I know you can set some SCSI drives to read-only via a jumper but I really want make this as hands off as possible.

<edit>
Just found this company
http://www.tableau.com/products.html

Has anyone ever heard of them???? Know of similiar products???
 
we're trying to make this pretty user friendly......some of the guys that would probably be using this don't know anything outside Windows
 
do you need to be able to create different clones? or is it one clone for a long time?

if it's just one clone for a long time, just enable the scsi jumper, if it's not, set a user name for using the clone drive and one for admining it, give the one user read only rights, and hte admin full writes, perform all your cloning from teh other user.( note windows based not unix)

otherwise if you're using unix, as above, mount read only, if you need it as write, unmount and mout and read/write, when done, unmount and remount as read only.
 
Maybe I didn't convey what I had in mind very clearly, in which case I'm sorry. I was envisioning 3 drive bays or maybe 3 external slots that we could plug into. Boot into Windows and click a few buttons and walk away knowing we had a good clone. Each drive would only need to be cloned once and we would have the ability to clone PATA/SATA/ or even SCSI drives if we really desired. I would like to keep the people out of the case as much as possible. I can imagine people forgetting to set the jumper on a SCSI drive and the first time someone types format d: would be the last ;-)

I would like it to be controlled on the hardware level as much as possible so I just build this box, walk away and not worry about it.
 
hm, what about mounting the clone image on a network drive with read only access?
 
Back
Top