Making Outlook leave my mail server alone...

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
All I want is Outlook to display the folders on my mail server. If I get a new message and view it in Outlook, I want there to be a copy of it when I log onto my Webmail. If I send a message from Webmail, I want it to appear in Outlook's sent folder. If I send form Outlook, I want it in my Webmail's sent folder.

Is this a setting in Outlook or on my mail server? As it is now, Oulook deletes stuff from my inbox once downloaded, and doesn't put a copy of a sent messages into my server.

Unless your email server supports IMAP or RPC over HTTPs, your not going to get everything you want.

Is that the current configuration your having issues with? if not, how do you currently have Outlook configured to access your email?

Actually, I was wrong. My mail server DOES have support for POP, SMTP, and IMAP. I'm currently using POP/SMTP. IMAP functionality does exist, I'm probably just not using it.

All right, I think I've got it. I just set Outlook to sync with my IMAP folders, right?
No.
If you’re using a POP3 server, just go to your Outlook email account settings ( from []btools[/b] and then E-mail accounts).

Next choose: “view or change existing email settings.”

Now pick your account and click “ more settings,” then click tab that says “advanced.”

Finally tick off : Leave a copy of messages on server. You can also set a time limit for those messages that are left.

No.
If you’re using a POP3 server, just go to your Outlook email account settings ( from []btools[/b] and then E-mail accounts).

Next choose: “view or change existing email settings.”

Now pick your account and click “ more settings,” then click tab that says “advanced.”

Finally tick off : Leave a copy of messages on server. You can also set a time limit for those messages that are left.

That will not meet his requirements since anything he sends from outlook, he wants a copy on the server. You can't do that using SMTP/POP3. IMAP is required which makes your suggestion moot since he won't be using POP3 or SMTP.

All right, I think I've got it. I just set Outlook to sync with my IMAP folders, right?

Yeppers. :p That should meet all of your requirements for functionality.

That will not meet his requirements since anything he sends from outlook, he wants a copy on the server. You can't do that using SMTP/POP3. IMAP is required which makes your suggestion moot since he won't be using POP3 or SMTP.
Alrighty then!
I guess I misunderstood his requirements. But just so it’s clear, if his email is sent to a POP3 server, it can be read and left on that server using outlook.

Back