making network printer do its thing

ok.. so i rescued an old laser printer from the trash today.. it is an HP LaserJet 4si... the thing is 40 lbs and as big as the box that my 19 inch monitor came in...

so.. i go into DHCP, i found the mac address, made it static, where do i go from here?

do i need a server? man.. that's weak... can i set up a print server on one of my computers? i thought that some printers just worked... and you could install them by ip address or something.. i guess i was wrong..

does it have a jetdirect card in it? if so, you should be able to print directly to the IP you set to it...you could download hp jetadmin to use to admin it too...

yes.. it says jetdirect
how do i use it? i just go to the IP and set it up?
i made it 192.168.0.200 , and i typed that in and couldn't get to it..

i am downloading jetadmin right now.

i got jetadmin installed... first of all.. does it need to be running for the printer to work? i don't think i need that program it does too much shit and i don't need any of it, i don't think at least..

if i go to add printer, and type 192.168.0.200 it takes a while, but times out.. if i type something else.. it immediately says that the name can't be found... so i think it is trying to work...

and i forgot... no devices show up in jetadmin... so i think something is wrong.. i am going to double check the settingson the printer itself, but there isn't much there

ok.. i am getting closer...

first of all.. i need to install it as a local printer to use an IP

but it still won't work..

in the printer itself, there is the "MIO Menu" i go in there.. and then go to network setup, then i can find tcp/ip, turn it on and off ... and turn bootp on and off... that';s it

i got it to show up in jetadmin as 192.168.0.105

id4199.gif

why?? the mac is registered as static and it went into the dynamic list??? what???

ok.. all problems see to be with the actual printer now.. i made 105 static.. but i would rather have it be farther away... but it has legal paper on the bottom and letter on top.. and keeps printing letter on the legal paper.. and it pisses me off... and it also goes to "form feed" and i have to hit continute

no, it wasn't.. we were using it at work... but there was no room for it, and we are leasing these big copymachine/scanner/printers... kyoceria... yeah.. so we had it sitting on the floor and a few people were like.. my area isn't for storage, when are you getting this printer out of here...

so i got it.. instead of us trashing it..

i need a guide to the damn menus cause i don't know what half the abbreviations mean...

heh
enjoyed reading all the upadtes so far :p :D

all I ever have done with jet direct devices is gone into windows add printer thing, tell it to create a new standard tcp/ip port, point it at the ip of the printer, and then install the correct driver and away it goes. hell I have even done this with old apple printers (which i have 3 that work well!)

so good luck getting the printer working for you...or perhaps it really was destined to go to the garbage monsters

Save yourself the effort.. download HP Web Jetadmin. It'll let you configure the Jetdirect card from Windows.

You could also try reseting the printers settings. Try holding the "Online" button while powering it on. Atleast that is how I did it on my Laserjet 4 Plus.

Jet Admin is not longer supported by HP, they have a new software package, web based one...BUT....

The reason they stopped that software was because since Windows 2000 came out, you don't need that software anymore, since TCP printing is now built right into the OS. You only need that HP software if you're using NT 4, or Win9X.

Program your MIO to the IP address that you wish for your network, should be static if you want reliability. Program using the menu/select/arrow buttons on your printer.

Add printer, local port, don't auto detect, drop down menu select TCP, run through and enter the IP address that you programmed into the printer.

If you don't have programmable printer for some reason, and you have no idea about the IP address of the MIO, well, still several options. Now the HP software becomes useful because you can quickly snag the MIO via its MAC, and reprogram it. But you still don't HAVE to have the HP software, you can print a config of your printer, read the IP of the MIO, and attatch to it via telnet to reprogram the IP.

lol, sorry i can't help but laugh, we have a bunch of 3si, 4si, and 5si and they do that form feed crap all the time. I forget how do get it off of there, make sure all your tray settings are set to plain paper, except for your legal one.

ok.. i got it working.. as least on a software level

i can't figure out the mio menu... i have gone all trhough it... and i can turn tcp/ip on and off.. and turn bootp on and off... there is novell and some other crap...

so anyways.. it insisted on being 105, see pic above, so i set 105 to static...

i got the manual now,... so i might be able to figure it out...

now... jetadmin didn't do a damn thing for me... all i could do is see the status of my printer and mabye track it and shit... i couldn't figure out how to change anything with it...

my only problem is this

there is the UC and LC ... the lower cartdrige is legal, the upper is letter, but if i send anything to the printer it will print letter size on legal paper frmo the LC... so i just put the letter cartridce in the lower slot and i am fine.. but i want it to work right...

what the hell does MIO mean?

k1pp3r said:
lol, sorry i can't help but laugh, we have a bunch of 3si, 4si, and 5si and they do that form feed crap all the time. I forget how do get it off of there, make sure all your tray settings are set to plain paper, except for your legal one.

Yup, thats exactly where the problem is. Older printers are as "smart" and can't auto sense what size paper is in the trays. Make sure you have the sizes set properly and plain paper selected.

Make sure the tray you are printing to is set properly in whatever program you are printing from. The driver usually has some options for setting what paper size is in what try too. Make sure all that is 100% correct.

The 4si was/is a great printer and will outlive you. :cool:

Back