• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Making my own first case! Tip and worklog!

NJB Mods

n00b
Joined
Nov 16, 2013
Messages
26
Hi!

My name is Nils-Julius, I'm a 15 year old modder and computer enthusiast.

Little background story:
I want to learn myself to make a case! ;)

I'm new to Solidworks, so this will be a funny journey.

I've got some really good ideas for my project and i would love to hear what you think that a pc should have for features, and how much you are willing to pay, and of course if there is something special the case should have?


I wouldn't mind if someone would like to give me tip and tricks, or you could send me a good Youtube guide for SW 2014, because i can't find one for beginners.

What i want the first case to be like-

Supports up to HPTX.
Can have a M-itx case inside(The idea will come later when i can make it)
Not to big(What would be that max would you think?
supports many radiators.
Good airflow for keeping the system cold.
Different design.
Modded from the box.
Nice places for SSDs and good cooling places for HDD

what do you think?

Thanks in advance :)
 
Start with something easier and more basic than solidworks such as Trimble Sketchup. I use this for all my projects whether it's a treehouse for the kids or a custom computer case. Refine your virtual design as much as possible before beginning the physical build. If you have all your parts take exact physical measurements do the. And make sure your 3d model incorporates those exact dimension.

This will take a lot of time and patience so be prepared. Since it is your first custom build I can promise you there will be a lot of trial and error. Don't let it discourage you. Learn from your mistakes and press on. Building a custom case is very enjoyable but it can also be incredibly frustrating at times.
 
Since you've already got solidworks, run with that and use it. Go through the tutorials and you'll pick up the basics really quickly. Honestly, using solidworks to creat 3D models is super easy. But there is a ton of functionality that gets way more complicated that you may never use until you use it professionally.

Also, find models of your hardware or similar and build and assembly without a case. Then design your case around that.

Good luck!
 
Hi!

My name is Nils-Julius, I'm a 15 year old modder and computer enthusiast.

Little background story:
I want to learn myself to make a case! ;)

I'm new to Solidworks, so this will be a funny journey.

I've got some really good ideas for my project and i would love to hear what you think that a pc should have for features, and how much you are willing to pay, and of course if there is something special the case should have?


I wouldn't mind if someone would like to give me tip and tricks, or you could send me a good Youtube guide for SW 2014, because i can't find one for beginners.

What i want the first case to be like-

Supports up to HPTX.
Can have a M-itx case inside(The idea will come later when i can make it)
Not to big(What would be that max would you think?
supports many radiators.
Good airflow for keeping the system cold.
Different design.
Modded from the box.
Nice places for SSDs and good cooling places for HDD

what do you think?

Thanks in advance :)
I've been using solidworks for years, you will not learn it over night.

start with something easy to learn and free like sketch up.
 
I've been using solidworks for years, you will not learn it over night.

start with something easy to learn and free like sketch up.

I still disagree. If he has access to it, I'd say jump in and start learning solidworks. It really isn't that difficult to do basic 3d modeling. And I would honesty say it would be time better spent than with learning a sketchup, which is limited in comparison to SW. Not to mention SW yields a lot more useful file formats than sketchup (free version).

Edit: of course sketchup is a great alternative for those who don't t have access to solidworks or similar cad software. And again, I have to emphasize so noobs don't get discourage or turned away from at least trying to learn it: solidworks is not that difficult to learn and use.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top