Making Final Decision On Best Video Card Option For New Rig - Need Your Expertise

SlapShot

Limp Gawd
As the title says, I'm building a new pc, which will be based around an i5 2500k, and my monitor is a 27in. Samsung with 1920/1080 resolution. I need to be able to play Skyrim and BF3 at max settings.

I've just purchased purchased everything I need except the video cards. I've been relentlessly researching this here, and other places for the past week. I've narrowed it down to the following options and would like your expertise and guidance on what is the best option. As always, if the lesser priced options will get it done, thats great. I am however, willing to pay whats necessary. Thanks for any assistance.

JC

Option One:

2 Gigabyte Super Oveclock 560's in SLI = $380.00

(note this review that got me thinking about this choice)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/gigabyte_gtx_560_super_overclock_review

Option Two:

2 MSI Twin Frozr II 560Ti's = $450.00

Option Three:

2 MSI Hawk 560Ti's = $490.00

Option Four:

2 Asus 560Ti DCII's = $460.00

Option Five:

2 MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III's = $560.00

Option Six:

1 Asus 6950 DCII = $289.00

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/01/asus_engtx560_ti_directcu_ii_top_video_card_review/10

Option Seven:

1 Asus 6970 DCII = $360.00

I would personally go with option 7, sort of. I like buying a single faster card but I don't like the 3 slot design of the DCII. I considered that card but opted for the MSI 6970 Lightning instead and it totally rocks. Sure the SLI 560's will be faster but you can always add another 6970 later if need be. Plus SLI and Crossfire will be more power hungry and generate a lot more heat. You can also consider the MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III/OC 2GB. That card rocks, easily my favorite 6950 and it stacks up to stock 6970's in a lot of games because of the nice factory overclock. I wish the did a DCII card design with two slots like found on the GTX 560's and 1GB 6950 cards because I really like the look for that cooler.

Don't forget the Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2GB as well. It's in stock at Newegg again. Sorry for giving you ANOTHER choice! :)

I'm in your situation as well, and I just ordered one of the Toxics. It's a bit hard to tell what exactly BF3 will take to max out considering the beta was really buggy and apparently there are even better textures that will be added at release. I have a feeling that if you truly want to max everything out on BF3, you will probably need at least two cards, but until release date, nobody knows.

Skyrim, on the other hand, should be fine with one 6950 or 6970.

Option 5 - though it doesn't have to be the MSIs. For enough memory to deal with upcoming titles well, and great performance, two 6950s are the best option, it's worth the extra cost.

As I said in a previous post. I recently got the MSI 6970 Lightning and I think it is worth every penny as it is one of the highest factory overclocked cards you can get. Just read the HardOCP review. I also think the 6950 you posted is great too, again one of the fastest factory overclocked cards you can buy and it competes with stock 6970 cards in a lot of games. You'll be happy with either.

Not so easy to find these days, and weren't they pretty much the same price as HD6970s anyway?

Back