making a windows install CD from a hard drive install

The_Bob

Weaksauce
MY mom bought a Compaq about a month ago and it did not come with aback up disk. Is there anyway to create a disk that can reinstall windows on her PC if anything happens to the install or HDD. Exactly what a back up CD that computers use to come with would do :rolleyes:

Check the software installed on the Compaq, there should be a utility to create restore disks. As an alternate solution you can use ghost to make an exact duplicate of the hard drive in it's current state.

Go back to whereever she bought the PC from and demand a recovery CD, you have bought it and they have just robbed you.

There could be a GOLD-partition for recovery, but you still need a CD to start it off.

DIXON's here in the UK got into alot of trouble for not providing a recovery CD a few years back

The_Bob said:
That compaq program said I'd need 10 freakin CDs!!
I dont doubt that from Comcrap. Got an external DVD Burner handy? It will cut down the discs you will need. You will still need to find or hit up the retailer for the Compaq recovery disc. It is supposed to come with the computer.

I had to order them form Compaq.. $15 :(
Then about a month later my mobo blew up and they magically wont work with any other comptuer.

I think that your main option...
Unless of course is it legal to obtain a XP version compatable with the licence stuck to your computer? Like if it had xp home and you borrow your friends XP home and use YOUR key. If its legal tahts the best path to take.

The_Bob said:
That compaq program said I'd need 10 freakin CDs!!

Compaq has been using this practice for a few yrs now. They don't supply any restore cds at all. But as you found, they do have a program that you can run ONCE to make a set of recovery disks, basically just an image of the hard drive with all the preinstalled crap (hence the 10cds)

SpoogeMonkey said:
Compaq has been using this practice for a few yrs now. They don't supply any restore cds at all. But as you found, they do have a program that you can run ONCE to make a set of recovery disks, basically just an image of the hard drive with all the preinstalled crap (hence the 10cds)

If you are in the UK this is illigal. YOu have bought a licence for XP or whatever flavour of windows you have and thus are entitiled to the CD's

I have a internal DVD burner on my PC but my mom won't let me open her case. I'm not stressing it if the computer has a problem she has no problem making an a$$ of herself at walmart where she got it.

I guess I'm missing something here, but why can't you just create the CDs and put them somewhere safe?

Furthermore, why does everyone insist on blaming the OEM for this? Has anyone stopped to realize that Microsoft's pricing for the discs is what forces this option?

djnes said:
I guess I'm missing something here, but why can't you just create the CDs and put them somewhere safe?

Furthermore, why does everyone insist on blaming the OEM for this? Has anyone stopped to realize that Microsoft's pricing for the discs is what forces this option?

If all other oem's were to follow no disks would be supplied. In fact that is where it's headed. Dell being one of the only large oem's that sill provide them. Emachines and Gateway do the same as HP, but why not blame the OEM's. Think about it, they do this to save money, not necessarily because MS charges so much. They get mass volume licensing with XP and all HP does is ghost it themselves with all of the apps they have preinstalled. So if people shouldn't blame HP for saving money what will HP do next to save money? Start dropping down to a lower (from already low) grade power supplies? Maybe start using known cheaper HDD's that have an average span of 1-2 years usage (Maxtor PATA)? I realize oem's look to save money, and i think that's the blame lies. Not with MS's pricing of XP which is likely the same price as it has been for years. I think it's HP that decided to cheap out. Furthermore, is this the logic that people use when they themselves pirate XP? Because "it costs too much"? In essense it appears that the reason HP does this is the same reason tech support is outsourced to India with many oem's. Because they can, because it's cheaper for them.. You start removing legos from the structure - sooner or later it will fall down.

Do you know how much HP/Compaq, Dell, eMachine/Gateway pay for Windows. Especiallay after all of the co-op advertising $$$ thrown at them...about a $1 per machine. It is a cost cutting measure by the big OEMs but it isnt becuase of the cost of the copy of windows on CD.

Okay, let's clear up a myth. This procedure is decided by Microsoft, not the OEMs. I've spoken to several people in the past about licensing for XP, and the fact is, the costs would go up quite a bit for each PC if the real discs were included.

There's always an option to buy the PC without any OS installed, and go get your own copy if you're not happy with the licensing. I can't speak for other OEMs, but we do allow a time period to call and request a set of CDs, and all you pay is shipping.

Back