Making a short case stand - materials?

jamsomito

2[H]4U
I've got an NZXT Switch 810 on my hardwood floor next to my desk right now. I'd like to get it up off of the floor after recently moving it to a horrifying display of dust bunnies underneath it. Also, I thought it would be nice to bring it up to desk level so I have another 8-9 inches of desk space. That means raising it 4.5 - 4.75 inches off the floor.

What materials would work best for something like this? I'm looking for cheap and black, and possibly open so I can put things in it like my external hard drive. I thought about spray painted 2x4's, but at 3.5" wide and 1.5" tall, that's 5" for legs and a top, so the dimensions aren't quite right.

I also thought about black acrylic or similar, but I didn't know if it would support the weight of my water cooled system.

Thoughts?

I can think of myriad ways to accomplish what you are thinking about doing. Without knowing precise dimensions and needs I'd probably opt for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/iiMash-Stainl...sbs_hi_14?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NBZP847YFCZ9W98NG24

Attach them to MDF or plywood or whatever for the top to make up the difference needed for the height. There are tons of pre-made units for TV risers and the like but this type of thing would allow for some flexibility of materials and dimensions. Guess you have access to tools for sawing and cutting/painting.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey, thanks. I'm not sure I could use those feet though - the bottom of my case is almost entirely dust filter with some long, skinny feet. See here.

Also, if I can keep it under $10 that would be sweet, but max might be something like $25.

I do have tools required to make something if need be. That's actually what I had in mind.

Still not sure what you are seeing your your mind's eye. Something like this to just set the case on:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/261560690832387823/

Or do you have another idea on what you want it to look like? You could build something like this for next to nothing and paint it black. Run the supports either on the ends as in the picture or down the sides or both, I guess. You could use MDF or plywood.

Or maybe you just want something to support the case under each foot and not an actual platform. 4x4 cut to length and painted would suffice for that. Center one piece under each case foot. Have used something similar to raise the head of my bed for years.

Last edited:
Great ideas, thanks. For some reason I couldn't get off the idea of a long hollow rectangle underneath my case with a big cavity to put stuff and hide it. But, I like the table-esque design of the one you posted.

Also, I can't believe I never thought of plywood or mdf... must have had a huge brain fart.

Well as the old axiom goes, a picture is worth... . I couldn't understand what you were thinking and you couldn't visualize what I was thinking. Thought this shelf-type thing would be the simplest--you could even put a slab of material on top and bottom, put supports on three sides leaving one end open and have a bit of room for storage--just make sure the opening is big enough to get your hand into in case something should get shoved way far to the back--basically just a long box open at one end.

Figure wood, plywood or MDF would be the simplest things to glue, screw and paint. Could be done with acrylic too, (or even metal if you're really adventurous) but that is another type of job and maybe not worth the effort.

If none of this seems satisfactory, just do an image search for DIY risers or TV risers/wood. You're bound to see something you can copy or make for yourself. I suggested using the adjustable legs since I'd seen something built using them--way too expensive when it can be done simpler and for less money. You can take measurements and build the exact height you need from the get-go.

Let me know what you decide and build. If you can take a picture of it, that would be worth a thousand words. :)

BTW, not to hijack too much but your post was a bit of serendipity as I had been looking for a case for a planned new build. Wanted one with at least 4 USB ports, preferably 2.0 and 3.0 and wanted all the I/O ports to be on the front of the case--amazing how hard it is to find that! Most are on top, at an angle on the front or on the side. Researched your case a bit and it looked like the perfect fit--seems the I/O ports are on the front under a little door--is that correct? Thought I had searched NZXT cases but must have missed your model. How do you like the case? Has it been great, good cooling, easy to build in and add radiators, fans and such? Only problem is I seem to be able to find it now only in the white version. Would prefer the black but white would do--would be my first. Any input on the case would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Cut up a 4x4 and use 4 pieces as the "pylons" / legs. Cover with MDF, Plywood, or Particle Board surface that's the same footprint as your desktop. Done and done. Don't even need any screws or glue.

BTW, not to hijack too much but your post was a bit of serendipity as I had been looking for a case for a planned new build. Wanted one with at least 4 USB ports, preferably 2.0 and 3.0 and wanted all the I/O ports to be on the front of the case--amazing how hard it is to find that! Most are on top, at an angle on the front or on the side. Researched your case a bit and it looked like the perfect fit--seems the I/O ports are on the front under a little door--is that correct? Thought I had searched NZXT cases but must have missed your model. How do you like the case? Has it been great, good cooling, easy to build in and add radiators, fans and such? Only problem is I seem to be able to find it now only in the white version. Would prefer the black but white would do--would be my first. Any input on the case would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't quote me on this, but I think they stopped making it which is why you can only find one model left. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

If you want to drink from a firehose, here's my decision matrix thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1698323

Towards the end of that thread I leave my impressions about the case. Otherwise, here's my "build log" with pics of my first simple build: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038893482#post1038893482

I've updated a bit since then, posted in the water cooling gallery: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041076522&postcount=1310

Any specific questions, leave 'em here or PM me. Overall it's a good case.

Thanks for taking the time to post those links. Will read through them and see what you have to say. I have an idea you might be right that the case is discontinued--tried the NZXT site and nothing would come up on the "buy now" link they had. I had sort of thought of doing a black and white build anyhow so white could be good.

Back