Making a Raid 0 with KR7A-133R

Ricedaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got another hard drive and want to put it in a raid 0 config. I just wanted to ask you guys if you new any good online guides about how to do this... or if you have any personal opinions and experiences on doing this. Thanks.

I will be using:
Abit KR7A-133R
1 Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM ATA133
1 Maxtor Diamondmax 30GB 7200RPM
Windows XP Pro SP1

I wouldn't build a RAID 0 array using that. The drives are not the same size so you would lose 10 gig of storage right off the bat. Also, since the drives aren't the same model you will more than likely lose a bit of the performance advantage that a RAID 0 array would bring. While you do not need two identical drives to make a RAID 0 array, it's a lot better if you do do it that way. Onboard IDE RAID controllers aren't the best when it comes to performance and processor usage. You may end up eating your RAID 0 performance increase with higher CPU utilization, thus cancelling out the advantage you were aiming for.

I'm not saying you can't do it. But with the problems associated with the way you want to set it up, I wouldn't do it. Maybe there are some others here who have worked with an array like that that may say differently.

Back