• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Making a new logical drive in XP

Stuh505

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
488
Using the Windows interface

Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click New Partition, or right-click free space in an extended partition, and then click New Logical Drive.
In the New Partition Wizard, click Next, click Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

I am unable to locate an "unallocated region of disk space". Viewing the computer management console in "graphical view", I see a bar representing my hard drive which is dark blue. The settings indicate that this color means the entire thing is the primary partition. If there is no unallocated space, how can I create a new logical drive? I have over 30 GB of free space.

So I tried it the console method.

Open Command Prompt.
Type:
diskpart

At the DISKPART prompt, type:
list disk

Make note of the disk number of the disk on which you want to create a primary or extended partition.

At the DISKPART prompt, type:
select disk n

Select the disk n where you want to create the primary or extended partition.

At the DISKPART prompt, type one of the following:
create partition primary [size=n] [offset=n] [noerr]

After selecting my hard drive,

I tried "create partition primary 50" (for 50 MB) which didn't work.

So I tried "create partition primary " and it said the arguments were invalid.

So I tried "create partition primary" and it said "Diskpart was unable to create the specified partition"

After following both of the procedures outlined in the windows Help, I'm at a loss...

By the way, the reason I want to create a logical drive partition is because I would like to be able to create partitions for all of my common CD's, burn them into the drives, and then be able to run different programs requiring different CD's without having to swap the CD's around in my CD-ROM. Just thought I'd mention that in case this won't do what I need anyway.
 
To make a partition the drive must have free unpartitioned space and from what you are describing you don't have any. You have 30 Gigs of free space, but that is on the partition already on the drive. To create another partition you would need 3rd party software ala Partition Magic to resize your current partition, or you could delete the current partition and create a new partition scheme. Problem with the latter is it is destructive. You would loose everything currently on the drive :mad:

All that being said for what you are looking to do your best bet for loading cd's on the drive would be to use a virtual cd program. I can't remember any off the top of my head but a quick trip to google might be in order....
 
Back
Top