making a new computer

kbanks

n00b
im putting together a computer and i want to know how to make the motherboard, hard drive, and that other stuff compatable.

Good question. Most newbs get confused by this. The parts are compatible based on the first letter of the parts name. For example. If you get an AMD CPU, you will need a motherboard that starts with an A as well. Like Abit or Asus. So an Intel CPU would not work with these. Hope that helps!

jk. just get an AMD64 3200+ with a socket 754 mobo and throw a gig of ram in there and youll be set.

holdeN said:
Good question. Most newbs get confused by this. The parts are compatible based on the first letter of the parts name. For example. If you get an AMD CPU, you will need a motherboard that starts with an A as well. Like Abit or Asus. So an Intel CPU would not work with these. Hope that helps!

jk. just get an AMD64 3200+ with a socket 754 mobo and throw a gig of ram in there and youll be set.
way to confuse the poor guy even more, lol

all computer parts follow a standard, pretty much all modern parts will work together provided you get the right things

The processor has a thing called a pin count, this is how many pins htey have on the bottom. socket 754 Athlon 64's have 754 pins. the Amd athlonXP's are socket "A" and have 462 pins. it is very important that you match up pin numbers and how many pins the socket on the motherboard have. get a retail CPU, they come wtih a warrenty and a hsf you can use until you get more comfy with changing out your parts

all motherboards have an IDE interface for harddrives, and most new ones have serial ATA ports as well,a dn you will need a serial ATA drive to use these

CDROM drives work off the IDE channels as well, and pretty much all cd rom drives are on the IDE interface. there are SCSI drives, but dont worry about these, you wont be using them.

Floppy drives work off a smaller IDE connection that all motherboards have, all floppies use the same interface

you will need the right type of ram, the Athlon and Pentium4 cpu's use DDR (Double Data Rate) ram. this means that if the system bus is 200 mhz, the effective speed will be 400mhz. the new penitum4's with 775 pins use DDR2 which is more expensive and you dont need to go there right now, unless you REALLY want too, as it is largly unproven. if you get a s478 pentium4 or any flavor Athlon CPU, pick up some high quality pc3200 DDR ram, and you will be fine.

most all expansion cards work off the PCI bus, when buying make sure they are not PCI-X(a server standard) or PCIe, a completly new standard.

all new motherboards are AGP 3.0 compiant, this is for the video card. all *good* video cards operate off the AGP(accelerated graphics port), and while there are some PCI video cards, they will not perform anywhere near an AGP card

The buttons on the case are connected to a header on the motherboard, and there are directions to connect these that come with the case and the mobo.

make sure to get a good power supply, generic power supplies are not good adn will kill your system sooner or later. enermax, thermaltake, pc power and cooling, antec, and ocz are some of the better quality supplies.

get a few case fans, you will need good air flow wiht any modern system, you dont want it running too hot.

hope i hit all the major parts..

i know some stuff about computers like where the parts go and all that but my brother just built a computer and hes not really helping me but he told me to go to this site and look around. thanks guys.

:rolleyes:

<----older brother

That post above is basically what it took me a month to figure out. Another month to figure out and decide exactly what parts I wanted due to $$$.

gee thanks for helping me out, you could save me some time and just tell my what i need to know.

Back