making a lexan window

bladeiai

[H]ard|Gawd
how do can you attach a piece of lexan for a window without putting screws thru the outside of the panel its going to be attached to? and where can you buy lexan and can it be cut/drilled?

sorry if these are dumb questions

Velcro and double sided sticky tape.

Home Depot and Lowes both sell Lexan/Plexi.

Yes, it can be cut/drilled.

are there any other options to velcro and double sided tape? and is there a difference between lexan and plexi?

you have to line up the hole on the case and the holes on the lexan but you can you small pop rivits cos if you dont line up and goto pull the rivit its gonna crack the lexan

Jason711 said:
careful with the lexan, it scratches easily.
lexan...scratches easy, but isn't it better than normal acrylic (usually in the same section at home depot.

I notice that the acrylic is covered both sides in the protective paper/plastic at HD, but the Lexan only has one proteced side...shouldn't that indicate something?

hignaki said:
lexan...scratches easy, but isn't it better than normal acrylic (usually in the same section at home depot.

I notice that the acrylic is covered both sides in the protective paper/plastic at HD, but the Lexan only has one proteced side...shouldn't that indicate something?

hmm.. i dunno. dont get me wrong, if its thick enough it will stop a bullet.

hignaki said:

Which one is better depends on the application. Lexan is stronger and more impact-resistant than plexiglass, but it also scratches much more easily than plexiglass. It's up to you what you want for a case window. More impact-resistant or more scratch-resistant? Personally, I'd be more worried about scratches than impacts.

thanks for they advise everyone

I have another question, if you wanted to make bent parts using one which would be easier to work with and what do ou use to heat it to bend?(you do heat it up to bend it right?)

I do believe that regular acrylic is easier to bend (yes, you do it with heat). But, sadly, a hair dryer won't be enough to do it (efficiently). Do you have a heatgun? I've also heard stories of people making frames out of wood, and covering the molds with felt and using stoves....YMMV

For bending plexi, I usualy will make a wood form, place the plexi over top of the form, and then place the whole thing into my oven preheated to 350° for a few minutes. Be sure to keep a close eye on it. As soon as it starts to sag (just a little, too long in the heat, and bubbles will start to form), pull it out, and press down lightly on the parts where you want the bend to be. DON'T PRESS WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!! Use some type of tool (1"x1" stick of wood usualy works well for me) Don't press harder when the plexi starts to stiffen up. Just place the whole thing back in the oven, and repeat untill your plexi is bent into the shape you need it.

Or you can do what I did, and just use 1/4 inch glass.

It doesnt scratch very easy, its a lot cleaner looking than the lexan (the lexan in another case of mine looks wavy) but bump things into it, and you will have a Jaws-themed case window (broken toothy shards).

Back