makers of fUnc mouse pad are scamers?

dee-vee

Weaksauce
I pre ordered the new fUnc Archetype mouse pad from their website and at the time shipping was $3 for USPS shipping. Good deal so I ordered. Now they send this e-mail:

Hi all,

Thanks for your recent pre-order with us for the fUnc Archetype Mousepad. We have scheduled to ship out these pre-orders in the week of Nov 14th.

We are sorry to report that due to a very high loss rate (stolen or damaged) of shipping this bulky products by US Post Service, we have cancelled this shipping option which was what you have selected (US$3 each), and all shipments have to use UPS ground which will be US$11 instead.

We need your authorization to make the change by Nov 14th or we have to cancel your pre-order, we are extremely sorry to cause you any inconvenience.

Thank you for your understanding.
$11 to ship a freaking mouse pad? They are either out of their minds or they are trying to scam people out of money at the last minute. No way in hell im paying $11 shipping. It doesnt even cost that much to ship a mouse pad with UPS. And I know for a fact USPS doesnt treat packages with any less care than UPS does.

Umm they dont make any profit on shipping fees... How can you call them scammers?

Because as I said it does not cost $11 to send something as small and light as a mouse pad.Going from $3 to $11 is a giant leap.

We are sorry to report that due to a very high loss rate (stolen or damaged) of shipping this bulky products by US Post Service, we have cancelled this shipping option which was what you have selected (US$3 each), and all shipments have to use UPS ground which will be US$11 instead.

Meaning = Many of their products have been damaged/stolen through shipping with US Post Service. In order to be assured their product will end up in your hands they will use UPS shipping instead hence the bigger fee.

Besides, how do you know that UPS doesnt charge more to ship to your location? What, do you think that the shipping cost only $6 for example and func industries are just going to pocket the other $5? Get real

Thats kind of lame, I can understand them changing shipping methods but a good company that cares about it's customers would eat the loss of increased shipping and at least honor all existing pre-orders.

Besides $11 to ship a mouse pad is insane, it should not cost more than 4-5 at most. We ship UPS and FedEx at work, and we can ship small form factor computers for $12 via ground anywhere in the continential US, and thats much larger and heavier than a mouse pad.

I wouldn't go so far as to say scammers, but un-ethical is fitting.

paintb4707 said:
Umm they dont make any profit on shipping fees... How can you call them scammers?

How do you know this?

There are many companies out there that lower the list prices for items they're selling and only until you check out do you notice they're charging you $20 to ship a 2gram ide cable. Unless you really NEED that mousepad I would cancel the order. $11 is like how much you'd pay for overnight UPS for something as light as a mousepad. Total rip off.

peacetilence said:
How do you know this?

There are many companies out there that lower the list prices for items they're selling and only until you check out do you notice they're charging you $20 to ship a 2gram ide cable. Unless you really NEED that mousepad I would cancel the order. $11 is like how much you'd pay for overnight UPS for something as light as a mousepad. Total rip off.
Name one thats still in business. Nuff said.

Pretty much EVERY online retailer does that. And I defy you to find soemone on Ebay who DOESN'T do it.

Remember though, there's the cost of the box, labels, tape, scales, etc...

Get a refund and order from newegg or something instead. And don't delay. Whip out the dueling glove and Demand Satisfaction.

paintb4707 said:
What, do you think that the shipping cost only $6 for example and func industries are just going to pocket the other $5? Get real

yes. you are seriously naive if you think this doesn't happen... go down to UPS and ask them how much it costs to ship a mouse pad... I don't care if you are going coast-to-coast, it doesn't cost $11 :rolleyes: ... Seattle -> Florida is less than $8 for UPS ground...

It's $3.85 and USPS gives you the box. However, no insurance or tracking numbers. And good luck filing as claim.

Well, they are not scamming as they gave you a way out. They should honor the $3 shipping, but since they are not, cancel your order and go elsewhere.

When you reply, mention the reason you are cancelling your order. Also mention you will be either purchasing it from some other retailer or, if you really want their attention, purchasing a different brand of mousepad.

It is the classic bait and switch. They bait you into pre-ordering a product, with too good to be true deals, then once they have you hooked they increase some aspect of the cost. The majority of people will just pay the extra, because it is too much of a hassle to decide on a diff mouse pad, order that one, wait longer ... etc.

Since they are shipping, their product to you, after already signing a contract with you, in the form of a pre-order, it is not your problem it is theres. Problems on their end, are their problems, not yours, it is their responsability to honour the pre-order.

looks like a fanicer version of a Radzpad to me...got mine for $15 shipped. Go save yourself a few bucks

Not only that is typically you are payign for handling fee's also. Those mousepads won't hop into boxes on their own. I agree it's lame what they did, I'd certainly spend some time on customer service speaking with a manager to make things clear to them but they have a business to run. They will not eat costs just to sell things if it means going in the red.

rhouck said:
yes. you are seriously naive if you think this doesn't happen... go down to UPS and ask them how much it costs to ship a mouse pad... I don't care if you are going coast-to-coast, it doesn't cost $11 :rolleyes: ... Seattle -> Florida is less than $8 for UPS ground...
Im talking about func industries in specific. Theyve been in business for awhile now and they are pretty reliable. They wouldnt have a great background right now if they were doing this previously.

SarverSystems said:
Pretty much EVERY online retailer does that. And I defy you to find soemone on Ebay who DOESN'T do it.

Remember though, there's the cost of the box, labels, tape, scales, etc...

Individuals on ebay dont count as a business. Sure, some companies maybe charge a few extra dollars for shipping. How can you prove it goes to their wallet?

defakto said:
They will not eat costs just to sell things if it means going in the red.

QFT

look at newegg.com.... a cable is 2.95 but it cost 5.99 to ship it.. hardly think a cable is a pound in weight.

so something is up.. oh yea, was going to get some thumb screws 2.99 was 5.99 to ship... thumb screws?? shoot toss them into a envelope and send them out.

LordVampyre said:
look at newegg.com.... a cable is 2.95 but it cost 5.99 to ship it.. hardly think a cable is a pound in weight.

so something is up.. oh yea, was going to get some thumb screws 2.99 was 5.99 to ship... thumb screws?? shoot toss them into a envelope and send them out.
Yeah I noticed that too. But thats been the case ever since they added UPS... Go figure :mad:

$11 sounds about right. UPS hates anyone who is not a corporation with a UPS account, and they especially hate delivering to residential addresses. If you check shipping costs at the UPS website, you'll see that they aren't cheap at all. Looking at the rate charts, UPS ground shipping charges to a residential address are a minimum of $6.55 + $2 pickup fee, and that's if you happen to live in the same state.

It's a shame that more online stores don't use USPS, because it's generally faster and much, much cheaper.

Back