Makeing a Linux Router

Mog_m

Weaksauce
Anyone point me to some good guides, or tools to help me configure a debian or slackware distribution to act as a router?

I have googled a few, but my current slackware install dosnt seem to like ipchains, and ive just generally had issues with some of the guides ive tried.

If someone knows of a good toutorial or tool, or even a distribution that would work better as a webserver/router your assistence would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks.

Check out smoothwall.org and I hear IP Cop is supposed to work nice too, it's at ipcop.org.

I dont want a distro that is JUST for routing. I want to make sure that I can use it as a normal linux distro if I want to.

Can these do that?

Thats what i'm doing right now. I've set up Gentoo on another box I have and once its all done, i'm gonna use it as a router/firewall for my network. I don't run mine as a regular desktop though, so i have no use for a gui on it. Just run it all through SSH. :)

Im useing mine as a webserver as well. Eventually I want to run web, ftp, mail, dns, and all that kind of stuff off it.

I also want to have a gui for it, and be able to run other random programs off it.

Dont want just a router.

Originally posted by Mog_m
Im useing mine as a webserver as well. Eventually I want to run web, ftp, mail, dns, and all that kind of stuff off it.

I also want to have a gui for it, and be able to run other random programs off it.

Dont want just a router.

Well I know you can do all the above with Clarkconnect - I would assume as much for smoothwall and IPcop but it's been a while since I last saw what they were doing.

As for your original request - http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/
"Firestarter is a GTK+/GNOME front end to the various firewalling subsystems available in the Linux kernel, for example Netfilter. "

Thanks alot.

Im looking at clarkconnect right now and installing it on a test box, but I will definetly look at that tool.

I dont want a distro that is JUST for routing. I want to make sure that I can use it as a normal linux distro if I want to.

Smoothwall and IP Cop are just for routing, of course being it's a firewall/router, IMHO that's all you should be using it for. Find yourself an old pentium 1, use it as your router/firewall, use the machine you wanna route on now as your linux playbox.

What kernel are you using? You probably have iptables, which differs from ipchains a tad. Check out freshmeat for some config generators or sample configs.

It's pretty easy to set up.

I don't know much about this smoothwall eveyone loves so much, but when i got another box I migrated my routing to it and currently im using OpenBSD with pf. I like it A LOT better then ipchains/tables.

I used to use slack for routing, and i liked it. Stay with slack and do some searches, there are tons of reources out there.....

http://www.google.com
http://www.freshmeat.net

Which version of Clark Connect are most people using, the home or office? I see the home is free but Im a student so I can get the office version for about $75.

Thanks

i use home 2.1 and from what i have been told the only difference between the two is the documentation available. (and that could make the difference, cus home offers absolutly none after setup instructions.)

where did you see the student discount offer?

Another difference is the vpn capabilities. Beyond that, I don't know.

Clark connect looks like a really good program. From the looks of it you run it from IE on another computer?

Originally posted by Rdog
Which version of Clark Connect are most people using, the home or office? I see the home is free but Im a student so I can get the office version for about $75.

Thanks

I was running home on a server at a friends house for all the reasons that original poster wants. I dont run it at home cuz I feel like I'd be cheating though cuz it's so easy. ;) But it works great for my friend cuz he can admin his own server and not bug me about it.

Has anyone ever tried E-Smith? The website kinda sucks and it looks to me like the functionality of the free version is kinda limited though, but I'm just curious.

Yah, I feel kinda cheep for useing it, but I wanted to stop the constent windows crashing, and get to linux stability asap, and wory about learning mail and routing later.

So far its working quite nicely... except postfix is an open relay, and thats not good. So I gota fix that.

Back