Make Windows GUI more like Linux?

AVT

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to make Vista's GUI somewhat more like Gnome.

In other words, I'd like to make a second bar on the top of the screen, and move start button and systray there, and let me place icons for apps there as well.

The closest thing I've found so far is ObjectDock, but it doesn't show systray, start button doesn't work on Vista 64, and it can't hide either from Vista's default taskbar.

Maybe someone has done something similar or might know how to do some of these?

What about moving the start menu to the top, then enabling the quick launch toolbar and making it bigger than it normally is.

THen you could make another toolbar on the bottom, or put something like rocketdock down there.

like gnome mmm

you can make it look like openbox (with blackbox for windows) or like KDE4 (well Windows7 since windows7 seems to have ripped off the look from kde4) by using kde4-windows

as to gnome.... mmm

What about looking through some visual styles for one that looks like Linux as well. I believe there used to be a few, called Bluecurve. Combine that with the above suggestions for moving the task bar, and you'd be close.

What about moving the start menu to the top, then enabling the quick launch toolbar and making it bigger than it normally is.

THen you could make another toolbar on the bottom, or put something like rocketdock down there.

The problem with this is the taskbar w/ open windows would stay at the top of the screen. I'd like to move it down, and keep everything else on top.

Wincustomize.com and Windowblinds. Some great stuff there.

Back