Make Vista run / boot / shutdown faster

mista ting

Gawd
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

i can't believe vista actually came with most of that **** running i disabled about 40 items!!! only use the "Tweaked" settings from that guide. remember use "services.msc" in the search box not msconfig!

also if you have dualcore or quadcore or triplecore go to start>type in search box>msconfig>boot tab>advance options>select the # of cores you have for faster logon!

It doesn't shut down slowly... far from it. It does take a little time to boot, but if you're really interested in fast boot speeds, just let it go to sleep mode (should be default option on balanced power mode). For me, it boots up in like 5 seconds.

I can't help but wonder if this is a joke. First, you posted a link to BlackViper's site. I don't think anything more needs to be said about that. Okay, well this. QuackViper, he he.
also if you have dualcore or quadco..., but the tweak Vista.....you leave it alone.

It doesn't shut down slowly... far from it. It does take a little time to boot, but if you're really interested in fast boot speeds, just let it go to sleep mode (should be default option on balanced power mode). For me, it boots up in like 5 seconds.

This and especially this. You aren't using Windows 98/ME, both of which would sputter and die after several consecutive uses of the sleep and hibernation modes. There isn't a good reason to shutdown/reboot a PC anymore unless a system crash happens or program/driver needs installation/updating/removal.

This and especially this. You aren't using Windows 98/ME, both of which would sputter and die after several consecutive uses of the sleep and hibernation modes. There isn't a good reason to shutdown/reboot a PC anymore unless a system crash happens or program/driver needs installation/updating/removal.

Unless you run wireless, in which case (in my case anyway) it's faster to shut down and then cold boot rather than waiting on hibernation or sleep to resume to the point of getting the wireless card fully functional.

About the only thing you can do is make it BOOT faster, by disabling things like Windows Messenger, Adobe auto-update crap- things of that nature. Vista itself is highly optimized out of the box.

I have wireless too, and yet it is still faster for me to resume from sleep/hibernation than a cold or warm boot. :confused: Sounds like your card is misconfigured or acting up.

Nope- just the way Vista behaves. Its "smarter" networking features are IMO one of the worse things about Vista that I don't like. It just cannot get itself configured quick enough, but on cold boot it does. Vista is a TON better than XP, but IMO not as good as it *could* be.

Every post I read on Vista scares me now(Just went I thought people were over reacting about it). I think my system would be too slow for it and might go up in a fiery blaze if I put Vista on it, which I have been wanting to so badly!

Every post I read on Vista scares me now(Just went I thought people were over reacting about it). I think my system would be too slow for it and might go up in a fiery blaze if I put Vista on it, which I have been wanting to so badly!

What's your specs? No two systems are the same- that's all there is to it.
Some folks have alot faster boot times, some don't.
Mine is about the same as XP.
Really the only thing that's improved for me personally is the sleep/hibernation capabilities.

I'm running Vista on a Pentium 4 system some family has. That's an old system. I stuck 3GB of RAM in that system and it runs Vista like a dream... The key is the RAM, which is very cheap to buy.

Yeah, I am on a Gateway 7510GX Laptop

I maxed out my ram at 2 gigs, which I think will be my bottle neck.
I am an CIS major and wanted to install Vista so I could stay relevant on the tech front.

2GB is really the sweet spot for Vista, anything more is just that much better. You have 30 days until you have to active your copy, why not try it out?

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

i can't believe vista actually came with most of that **** running i disabled about 40 items!!! only use the "Tweaked" settings from that guide. remember use "services.msc" in the search box not msconfig!

Welcome to the world of yesterday! Shame that you got sucked in to thinking that it is relevent to the world of today!

BlackViper is an ex-US armed forces dude who set up a tweaking site as a hobby exercise, and who has maintained that site as a personal interest since.

Back in the day, when 'Gaming' basically meant single-person shooters, RPGs and Strategy games, and when 3D hardware development was struggling to play catchup with 3D software development, there was interest and (sometimes) point and purpose to having a stripped-down OS installation. Back then a 'gaming box' didn't really even need to be (and often wasn't) internet connected. Back then it didn't really matter all that much if the services you disabled also disabled other stuff because of interdependencies and such, because on that 'gaming box' you weren't doing other stuff anyways. Back then it didn't really matter that even disabling all the services mentioned in BlackViper's 'Tweaked' configuration only gave you two-poofteenths of fuck all performance improvement anyways, because doing it gave you something to do and because it made you feel all warm, cuddly and proud of yourself afterwards.

Nowadays 'gaming' more often than not means 'online gaming', and a 'gaming box' more often than not has Teamspeak, X-Fire, Steam, uTorrent and who-the-fuck-knows-whatelse running on it. A 'gaming box' nowadays, in other words, needs to be a fully functional OS. Nowadays even a reasonably cheap store-bought 'Mom and Pop' computer, when after-market equipped with a bit more RAM and a decent enough Video card, is capable of running even the latest of Video games at reasonably satisfactory graphics detail settings.

But BlackViper still keeps on with his hobby, and people new to the hobby of 'pooter fiddling still keep finding his website, and if the tweaking the tweakings has made you feel good then all is well and the sun beams down on you!

2GB is really the sweet spot for Vista, anything more is just that much better. You have 30 days until you have to active your copy, why not try it out?

Yeah I will give it a shot and report back. I dont think I should be too disappointed though.

I finally gave in went to eBay, bought 2GB more RAM and I'm loving it.
Besides some programmatic issues with 64 bit VPN clients, I have nothing but good thing to say about the O/S. quick boot times and even faster shut down times than my XP machine on 2GB of RAM.

Give it a shot, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Backviper is an idiot. You don't need to tweak Vista services. Microsoft knows more than Blackviper and knows more than you.

Hey,I had a p4 socket 478 and it ran great with all the services running but i also had 2 Gig of ram also.Do whatever makes You happy.:)
Good Day

also if you have dualcore or quadcore or triplecore go to start>type in search box>msconfig>boot tab>advance options>select the # of cores you have for faster logon!

That option in Vista is not designed for that and simply doesn't work. I've seen this discussed before.

Everybody's opinion has been made clear I think, but if you are actually interested in learning why I don't like to disable services, look for posts by me that mention telephony service. ;)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Also remember that "Catweazle's law of Windows Computing" (gleaned subjectively from the experience of many years of troubleshooting computer problems) states the following:

0.1% of all problems are caused by Microsoft. 19.9% of all problems are caused by faulty hardware or incorrect hardware configuration. 40% of all problems are caused by freebie third-party software or cruddy commercial software. 40% of all problems are caused by users who follow the advice of internet 'tweak' sites.

lol you guys are full of it

i'm still keeping the ones that i've disabled off. do any of you seriously need pen, tablet pc, smart card, IEEE, fingerprint, fax or error reporting....ect. services running? yea right ill never use that shit in my entire life. better off then wasting space :rolleyes: the guide is very good if you carefully read each one that your disabling.

i'm still keeping the ones that i've disabled off. do any of you seriously need pen, tablet pc, smart card, IEEE, fingerprint, fax or error reporting....ect. services running? yea right ill never use that shit in my entire life. better off then wasting space :rolleyes: the guide is very good if you carefully read each one that your disabling.

The point is that it's a lot of work for zero gain.

yea right ill never use that shit in my entire life. better off then wasting space :rolleyes:

By the way. How about you describe just HOW it's better to disable it all, huh? You speak of this stuff as if it is entire applications loaded onto and running on your system. It's not. Most of what you mention is just a wee tiny 'footprint' sitting there idling until it is needed and called upon. Describing it all as 'wasting space' is kinda like suggesting that a small kid's toy left laying on the floor in the corner of a large room is somehow stopping you from using that room. It's not. The truth of the matter is that it's just the sight of the thing which irritates you!

Spit out some numbers describing how all this 'space' you supposedly need can be reclaimed.

You can use your box however you see fit. Lord knows there's been enough holy war bloodshed over Viper.

From one who actually used to work on this stuff, and has had to debug crashes in Windows because someone shut off a service that was critical to the Windows Operating System, I am not fond of his guides...

As to full of it, I can't be the judge there, but I assure you my credentials are pretty good to discuss this stuff. ;)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

better off then wasting space :rolleyes:

Apparently you don't even know the difference between something sitting on the hard drive using SPACE and something loaded up using RAM.
Disabling the darn thing is only going to use RAM (and miniscule amounts at that)- because unless you completely UNINSTALL the thing, it's still using the same amount of SPACE. And there are countless people that have screwed their systems up because they go around trying to remove Windows components. If you want something highly tweakable to do whatever the heck you want- look at Linux.

i'm still keeping the ones that i've disabled off. do any of you seriously need pen, tablet pc, smart card, IEEE, fingerprint, fax or error reporting....ect. services running? yea right ill never use that shit in my entire life. better off then wasting space the guide is very good if you carefully read each one that your disabling.

Yes, none of us have any clue what we are talking about.

Because error reporting and the tablet stuff takes up OOHHH so much resources :rolleyes:

Not to mention, you are just disabling not removing the items. So you're still taking up the same amount of space.

EDIT: was beat to it.:eek:

Since you're oh so smarter than the rest of us, why don't you go ahead and tell us just how much more speed your computer gained from disabling these unused services O Wise One.

I'll hazard a guess and say "no gain whatsoever". If you say otherwise, we'll know who's full of it.

These services you mentioned just sits there unless you use it.

Thought I'd add my opinion since I just installed Vista x64 yesterday. Shutdown is ridiculously fast, no more hanging bs programs from taskbar or in the background timing out.

Only thing I got annoyed with was my Zydas1211 USB wireless adapter is running unsigned drivers :(
So d/ling those DSEO/ReadyDriver stuff at work - hopefully I'll be online by tonight without my fuss.
...Though the DSEO/ReadyDriver nonsense is eerily taking me back to 98SE days - cross your fingers that your drivers actually install!

Fack.

Back