Make a Chair?

Neural Interface

Limp Gawd
My current chair is starting to get to old and generally falling apart, so I want to make one.
I was just gonna buy one but they are all crap or really expensive.
I basically want to make one proabbly from a car seat and just use the swivel part I have of this chair.

So has anyone done this, if so any advice and/or pics? :)

I don't have any pics online at the moment but I have a 1989 Corvette driver's seat as my desk chair. It's really easy to do.

Unbolt your old chair from the swivel platform. If you don't have a suitable size peice of metal that is slightly smaller than the base of your car seat, you can use plywood. Bolt the plywood/metal to the office chair base, then bolt the car seat to the playwood/metal.

It took me about 20 minutes to complete.

[nCn]Preacher said:
I don't have any pics online at the moment but I have a 1989 Corvette driver's seat as my desk chair. It's really easy to do.

Unbolt your old chair from the swivel platform. If you don't have a suitable size peice of metal that is slightly smaller than the base of your car seat, you can use plywood. Bolt the plywood/metal to the office chair base, then bolt the car seat to the playwood/metal.

It took me about 20 minutes to complete.

yeah thast pretty much what I thought it would be, hopefully I will start it soon, just have to start seaching for a nice seat now :D

domoMKIV said:
try and find a honda del sol seat......so comfy :D

I dont know, the seat in my Lexus is nice and comfy too....

a lot.

Consider getting one of the 40 dollar leather highback chair deals @ OfficeMax?

They have one onsale almost every week (with MIR)

This is something I've been wanting to do for awhile. I think I'll start looking at this again.

Neural Interface said:
how much should you generally pay for a seat from a junkyard?

I paid $50 for a complete (including tracks) fabric upholstered power seat when the rails and seat bottom broke in my car.

The dealership wanted $250 for the tracks and $250 for the seat bottom. :eek:

It all depends on the yard you go to. If they normally don't expect to sell soft (interior) parts, then you'll get it cheap since they'd just be throwing it away after all the hard parts had been stripped.

Magic H8 Ball said:
The dealership wanted $250 for the tracks and $250 for the seat bottom. :eek:

Think that's bad? The headrest for my Acura TSX is $225 :eek: But you can get a full set of seats on ebay for ~$400.

If you make your own, finding the center of gravity with you in it and sitting comfortably might take a few tries... and perhaps a few short trips to the floor when you decide to recline, lol.

Go to one of the you-pull-it junkyards. I have one near me that is really good on prices. It doesn't matter what the seat comes out of, its all priced the same. I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure the seats are less than $40.

I made mine out of a Pontiac Fiero GT seat. I got it from ebay for $15. It is one of the few production car seats with the speakers in the headrest. Here are some pics:

fieroseat.jpg

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

The little black thing underneath is a cheapo power subwoofer. The seat was mounted on a Wal*Mart special chair that I got for $10. The speakers in the headrest are my surround speakers. I had to hard wire an input jack under the seat.

My parents use to have a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 Hi-Top Conversion Van and the middle set of seats were nice captains chairs. With arm rests etc. Heres a trashier looking verison of what they had. The fabric and color was better in theirs but heres similar seats.
1102928626790_1103193527365_DCP_9050.JPG
Would be nice to pull one of those out and use one of those.

OrAnGe said:
My parents use to have a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 Hi-Top Conversion Van and the middle set of seats were nice captains chairs. With arm rests etc. Heres a trashier looking verison of what they had. The fabric and color was better in theirs but heres similar seats. http://images.andale.com/f2/103/121/11590417/1102928626790_1103193527365_DCP_9050.JPG Would be nice to pull one of those out and use one of those.

FlexSteel makes alot of those chairs that are found in RVs and conversion vans. http://www.flexsteel.com/vehicle/

If you get a FlexSteel chair, you will not be dissapointed.

Back