Make 2.1 audio 5.1 surround for all MP3s in winamp?

pixelbaker

Limp Gawd
I've got a Chaintech 7.1 surround card and basic no-name 5.1 speakers all hooked up. Is there a way to get 5.1 channels by replicating the stereo audio somehow? I use winamp and I'd really like my MP3's to use all the speakers even though they're just stereo.

Otherwise, use a different program than WinAmp. Foobar2000 has a plugin that allows you to upsample stereo signals to surround...a couple different ways, actually. It can 'mirror' the front 2 speakers to the rear 2, or another plugin actually tries to set up a soundstage using all 5.

WinAmp and WMP10 both have plugins to do that same, of course. I do not find their effect as impressive, though - oh, and you have to pay for the plugins for those programs. Foobar's are free.

I would suggest using foo_channel_mixer for this, tho it's only currently available for 0.8.3. 0.9 beta 14 has a DSP to mirror the fronts to rears with "Convert Stereo to 4 channels"

When 0.9 is finalized, skipyrich will update all his plugins to 0.9

My soundcard didn't come with any specialty drivers that I can install to alter the sound at all. Just get it installed and set to 2.1-7.1 speaker configurations in the windows sound setup. It works great for PowerDVD and other apps that allow 5.1 sound.

Winamp is what I use for MP3's and I just leave it running as a docked bar so that's what I need a plugin for.

I checked out Foobar2000 but I couldn't really get a feel for it. Winamp is my player of choice. You guys have any suggestions on those plugins I have to pay for to get upmixing? If they're not too pricey and they work well I really don't mind spending the $$

pixelbaker said:
I checked out Foobar2000 but I couldn't really get a feel for it. Winamp is my player of choice. You guys have any suggestions on those plugins I have to pay for to get upmixing? If they're not too pricey and they work well I really don't mind spending the $$

then buy a better sound card/ speakers :)

Back