Major wreless latency spikes Windows 8.1

Converge

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay so..... I have been having some major latency/ping/lag spikes while gaming the past few days.

I'm on Windows 8.1 on my laptop and I only experience these spikes when I am using my wireless, when I am directly connected to my modem I do not have any issues. I do not think I was having these spikes a week or two ago when using wireless, or at least no where as bad as they are now. Typically in the servers I play in on multiple different games I average around 10-40 ping but the past few days 70% of my playtime I am plagued by lag spikes pushing me to 300-1000 ping. I only return to my normal latency for a minute or two until it jumps back up.

I have disabled my VPN and firewall and those made no difference. I have obviously made sure no background programs are running that could be downloading/updating/ etc. This does not change anything. Like I said when I directly connect I have absolutely no issue. My router has been in the same position as it was a week ago when I was not getting issues.

Obviously I would think something has changed that is altering my WiFi. I am not the best when it comes with networking so I guess I am just asking if anyone has any ideas on how to figure this out?

Thanks in advance

Do you live in a heavily populated area? Any idea what your RSSI/SNR are? Using 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

I live in the burbs, it's not desolate but it's not the city either. It's verizon fios. I believe it's 2.4ghz? Not sure about the other info but I will look into it.

After I made this thread I noticed I had windows update notifications pending, installed them and the past 2 hours of gaming were absolutely fine on wireless, no spikes. I also repositioned the antenna on the router but it's only one room away as it is. Not sure if any of that did anything, I'm half expecting it to start spiking again, who knows. The windows updates just looked like security ones. Will update later.

Damn! Is that what is going on, it REALLY sucks and I couldn't troubleshoot properly. Gonna manually remove my wireless which is not used anyway.

Every 60 seconds or so Windows scans for wireless networks which causes a latency spike.

You can try this to turn off the background scan: http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/

Interesting I didn't realize Windows did that so often, but to be honest I don't think it should make that big of a deal. I've gamed and used wireless for many years on different machines, wireless routers, and wireless cards and never had an issues like that, especially spring up out of nowhere.

If things are ok now I would just roll with it. Half the problems I've ever troubleshooted in my life just seemed to just "work themselves out". So much crap goes on behind the scenes these days that sometimes things just act wonky.

Back