• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Major system issues tonight...

Devnull

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 21, 2000
Messages
8,486
My setup is as follows....
Abit NF7-S
Barton 2500+ @ 11x200
1 gig of kingston HyperX
550w Enermax
ATI Sapphire X800 XT PE
120GB WD SE IDE(Win2k, old stuff, stopped using the OS a few months ago when I got the newer drive and installed XP on it)
250GB WD SE SATA(WinXP, current stuff)
250GB Maxtor IDE (Misc. Storage/backups from other drives)
(All drives using NTFS)

So in windows xp I had been having some problems with poor prefomance in games and such recently. Tonight I decided to try reinstalling some drivers. I removed all my video card drivers then used driver cleaner and regclean in safe mode. As soon as I rebooted I got a BSOD "STOP: 0X0000007B..." I can't boot into safe mode or last known good configuration.

So I figure I will need to reinstall xp on my SATA drive so I boot into win2k without any problems and I copy a few files from my SATA drive onto my Maxtor storage drive and download some drivers from the internet that I would need to install. Copied them over to their own directory on the maxtor.

I then found my winxp CD and booted into the install when I realized I would need to find a floppy to hook up to try and install/repair on the SATA drive. I come back to my comp and it has rebooted itself, probably because I didn't do anything in the install prompts to continue.

So it goes through the setup again and when it shows me my install options I see my 120gb drive and then for my 250 GB maxtor storage it says that its all unpartitioned space. Now I think "that can't be right". I turn my comp off, reset the cmos and boot into win2k again and my maxtor drive which I had just been using fine before is now not showing up under my drives on my computer. Tried rebooting still no go. It's still listed under the device manager but I suppose there IS some kind of partition table damage.

Now I don't see how this can all be related but perhaps?
WinXP install takes a shit after removing catalyst drivers then using driver cleaner pro + regclean.
Used my win2k install on my old drive to copy some files from my SATA drive to my storage drive + downloaded some drivers onto it.
Storage drive is unreadable by windows.
Devnull going mad over it all...

I can't just format all the drives in question as I have plenty of files that I first need to recover atleast. Any ideas on what happened? recommendations? For now I am disconnecting my storage drive and I found my SATA drivers for my mobo so I am going to attempt a recovery or a repair install on my SATA WD SE drive but as for the other drive and my problems in general not sure.
 
well all the data would just be sitting there for a direct sector scan to recover if you have an OS to run it from and somewhere to write it to

but getti8ng to the root cause is likely a better idea
Id run both the ultimate boot cd > memtest86+
then the HDD manufacturers diagnostic
then ATACT

incase its not the OS
 
I am pretty sure I simply hosed the winxp install on my main drive but I'll download the WD drive utility. Right now I am just putting around in win2k. My main drive continues to read fine, but I couldn't get anything from my storage drive so I simply disconnected it and will worry about recovering it later.
 
I was just running a virus scan in case with AVG free7 on my main drive that won't boot and I see this: "kernel32.dll, wsock32.dll, user32.dll, shell32.dll, ntoskrnl.exe" all show as "reading error" under the scan.
 
Would you guys recommend I run chkdsk /f ? I would but I've had it hose a previously working parition before.
 
well no I recommend running it without /f
that way you know what its going to do first, well not really but if it comes back with alot of errors you know you might want to attempt recovery without it

sounds like some serious corruption
assume there where no power glitches
and that the memory checks

there are a few other filesystem checks available
a few are covered here with linkage to more (OS dependant)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=761272

the chkdsk might rescue partitions but generally its about the MFT
I use DIY Data Recovery's Disk Patch to attempt repairs
 
I've used the DIY recovery tools before, not a bad idea...


anyways here in my BSOD
bsod.jpg
 
well thats the demo right?

CFG 32 maxReadErrors
SCN 1 read errror
recovers the partitions
but Analysis aborted (assumed because its the demo)

and no repair wasnt selected in the MNU



You have scanned for a boot virus I assume
swapped cables that sort of thing

think it pretty obvious there is some serious corruption
just recovering the partitions may not be enough given the previous messages
If you havent bought diskpatch you might wnat to try a parallel install and try to access the drive with a directscan like File Scavenger for recovery (not repair)
if you lack a large HDD to recover to, a small one for the parallel and recover a bit at a time and backup to CD

fixing the partitions and MBR, followed by repairing the system files & registry if you have a backup might do it, but if the MFT is too borked it will likely autorecover and youll end up with a bunch of renamed orphans you might need to sift through for usable data

there are two copies of the MFT but from what i understand if the log goes Im not positive it can tell which is good

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/ntfs/archFiles-c.html
http://www.ntfs.com/

Im not thinking straight
try Knoppix ;)

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
 
Yes that is the log from the diskpatch demo on my main drive. I really don't think there is very serious corruption on my main drive... The used space is still reported the same before the issues. And MOST of the files I can still access, some direcrtories I am having trouble with the permissions to access them(which would seem to be security BS rather than corruption).


I ran a virus scan with AVG7 free which I assume would have checked for boot sector viruses and it found nothing.
 
knoppix sounds like a good idea to recover the data

then reformat and go from there i guess

i doubt its a dead hd but you never know
 
I'm having good luck with my repair install on XP :)

It's a little quirkry browsing since it won't let me install any video drivers. Will atleast allow me to back up all the files I have here... As for the other drive I will have to get back on that matter.
 
Back
Top