Major Permisisons Problem Server 2008

Sayth

Gawd
Hey guys,

would really appreciate some help here.

- User logs into domain controller and Group Policy maps him his appropriate shared drive.
- User copies MS Office 2007 document (Excel, Word etc...) to shared drive under his own folder.
- User edits the MS Office 2007 document and clicks save.
- Document is suddenly gone from folder

- I remote into server and can see document, but all permissions are gone.
- I must take ownership of the file
- re-add the user so he has full control
- Then he can see file, but same problem if he hits save

Any ideas? I'm looking fr my MS support info now, but thought I'd post here anyway.

More info, all users have read/execute in all of the folders on shared drive
each user has full control of his/her own folder

Thanks in advance

Is this one specific user, whereas other users work fine under the same GP and under that same Users folder?

Hmm. It seems re-booting has fixed the problem. I'll keep digging, but I don't know if I'll find the cause. Perhaps if I contact MS and describe the problem, they can tell me how to avoid it again in the future.

All is well for now...

Hmm nope I was wrong. The problem still exists.

When I thought the problem went away, it was because I recovered a file by taking ownership, then giving the user full access again and then tested using that same file. I can edit and save no problem.

Once I tried again with a NEW word docx, the problem returned.

So I'm still searching for an answer...

More info... this is happening on every share.
Different group, different user, different permissions... same problem.

Can local users on the 2008 Server access and write to those files?

Test with Administrator, Power User, and User accounts.

If all those CAN access and edit those files, the problem is a Domain wide permissions issue. Somehow revolving around credentials given to domain users.

So if I log on as user, map one of the shared drives again, but using administrator credentials, there is no problem.

I am currently installing Office on the server so I can try locally saving files, but this test may have ruled that out as a problem since it doesn't affect a share mapped with Adminstrator creds.

Huge development in the problem.

This ONLY happend on drives that are mapped via "\\servername.local\*ShareName*"

This does not occur if I map the drives using the server IP address (\\10.0.0.2\*ShareName)

I'm blown away right now. HOw did this become a DNS issue?
Any suggestions?

Back