Major major major weird problem...

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
For all I know, since I am *operating* a system, this belongs here. Ha. It may be a hardware problem but who knows. This computer's specs:

Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Raidmax PSU - 16A/25A/14A - 350 Watts
WinFast K7NCR18D Motherboard
Corsair XMS PC-3200 512 MB RAM
ATI 9200 All In Wonder
Maxtor 60 GB Hard Drive
Lite-On 12x DVD-RW
Generic 48 x 24 x 48 CD-RW
Stock Heatsink + Delta Fan
Idle/Load Temps: 41C / 45C

This has happened quite a while ago. I ignored some of its "warnings" and suffered it more later. This computer decides to randomly reboot, with less likely to reboot as you leave it idle (vice versa-- more likely to reboot as you use it more). Suddenly, it refuses to boot up as its full speed (166 MHz DDR 333). I had to downclock it to 133 or 100 to even make it work. Then it gets worse, when I restart the PC or boot it up, the computer runs but not on display (monitor). Absoutely nothing shows on the display (monitor) It takes an on/off switch on the back of the PSU to make it work. But then again, it stops working again. Works onlyly when I force the FSB to be extremely low. Now sometimes it does work but now, it seems like everything doesn't work. Windows XP is unbootable, comptuer reboots by itself after the splash screen/loading bar runs. It does so every time. It shows a missing/corrupt file so I did Windows XP set up and did 'fixboot'. That did nothing. And by the next Windows XP set up, it came up with a BOSD with STOP: 0x0000008E (etcetcetc). It is the most painful thing I've ever had to come across. Everything is correctly set up. Is it because of the power supply? In fact, I've reformatted this PC three times with the same type of problems. Just that every format, it progressesly becomes worse and still comes back at you with the same problems. I don't get it. Now, I can't even format it, it comes up with a STOP error and such. It's right now rebooting over and over right here. Sometimes it won't even boot up unless I have it at default settings (bios). Yowch! Help someone?

-J.

Sounds like you have some hardware problems there, bub. Some of your explanations sound like a CPU heating issue, while others sound like a PSU issue, while still others sound like a motherboard issue.

I tend to agree with the above. I'd check PSU, Motherboard, CPU, and Memory; In that order. It's definately a hardware issue, and has probably never had anything to do with your software install.

If you don't have the latest BIOS for your mobo, flash it first and try it out. If you still have the same problems test the RAM. The BSODs and booting without it POSTing point toward a RAM problem. Try a different stick, or if you have 2x 256MB sticks try one at a time.

like above , see if u can flash the bios , maybe ull get lucky ? :) ... but it looks to me like its a ram or PSU problem .... the only other idea i have is that the motherboard could be causing problems . but i doubt it.

Don't forget to do all these things without the CD, HD, floppy, and unnecessaries connected.

Ok, I plan on doing memtest first. Prior to doing that, I'll unconnect the unnecessary add ons (CD-RW/Floppy/HDD) then do the testing. If it's the RAM, I will perhaps look for a testing replacement. Then perhaps do a BIOS flash for extra security's sake (that would be done on floppy, wouldn't it?). Then it'd probably point out to be the motherboard or PSU. I plan on getting another variant kind of motherboard (nForce 2) and testing with it. It should be good. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if it was my PSU. Will keep update.

TY for replies/suggestions. :cool:

-J.

Back