Major help...ethernet port and 56k modem.

HardLiner

Gawd
I just formatted my friends computer and installed XP and his drivers. I want to use the Ethernet port for my cable modem so I can download all the xp updates and other stuff then I want to give the computer back to him so he can use his 56k modem(already installed with drivers) but for some reason I can't connect to the internet.

Is it only recognizing the 56k modem because I do recall when installing xp it asked for area code and phone number.Do i have to go to network connections and start a new connection?

If the Ethernet is integrated, you'll need to install the chipset drivers for the motherboard.

If the Ethernet is integrated, you'll need to install the chipset drivers for the motherboard.

Yes it is integrated and I already installed them.It does say no connection or something like that in the bottom right hand corner..but the drivers are installed!!

can you have a 56k modem installed while using the integrated Ethernet for cable?

Yes, but you still need to setup the internet dial up account. Also, in the internet settings, in the connection tab, select "Connect when no network connection is present".

Yes, but you still need to setup the internet dial up account.

Where on my computer do I go to to setup the internet dial up account..

Also, in the internet settings, in the connection tab, select "Connect when no network connection is present".

I can't find where it says that.

is it in My Network Places ................. sorry I'm not used to this.

is it in My Network Places ................. sorry I'm not used to this.

No, go to Control panel > Internet options > Connections tab. In the middle you should see the option "Dial whenever a network connection is not present"

Where on my computer do I go to to setup the internet dial up account..

Go to Start > Run > and type "INETWIZ", without the quotes. It will walk you through a process to setup your dialup account. Then with the other box checked, if your ethernet isn't connected to the internet, it will go to the dialup and connect that way.

Back