Mainstream Penryn launch nearing

madgun

[H]ard|Gawd
Mainstream Penryn quad cores are going to launch in a few days. I have kept myself from buying the Q6600 for quite a long time, seems like this should be a good time to strike.

20071218192008081742783353.jpg

That is true, we're getting Wolfdales on 20th Jan, then quads on Feb-March...

I'm not sure I can wait till March for a price drop on the q6600. The only thing missing from my build is a mobo and cpu.

any idea when the quad core mobile stuff is coming out?

I'm going to be getting a laptop for college this summer, and it will probably be the only computer I'll have till I graduate so quad core would be nice. Oh well it looks like I miss it by a few months.

so looks like i have to wait till April for the price gouging to stop before i can pick up a quad...

any idea when the quad core mobile stuff is coming out?

I'm going to be getting a laptop for college this summer, and it will probably be the only computer I'll have till I graduate so quad core would be nice. Oh well it looks like I miss it by a few months.

Looking at that picture its 3Q 08. I will be interested in seeing how the battery life on such a monster would be. Wonder if this will start putting fuel cells into laptops like they have been talking about for years.

so looks like i have to wait till April for the price gouging to stop before i can pick up a quad...

Price gouging? Just exactly how cheap are do you expect quads to get? Intel and AMD both have affordable quads. I dont know what it is exactly that you're expecting?

Price gouging? Just exactly how cheap are do you expect quads to get? Intel and AMD both have affordable quads. I dont know what it is exactly that you're expecting?

I wasnt talking about amd or intel more about the etailers. I guess gouging is a little strong but when something is suggested to be a price and can't be found for it i don't mind waiting.

I'm not sure I can wait till March for a price drop on the q6600. The only thing missing from my build is a mobo and cpu.

Wont the Q6600 be going EOL soon ? Why would they lower the price more ? Why not just replace it with the 9300?

im ready for the launch, I have a whole computer build right next to me, all togeather, because I just couldn't sit looking at those boxes, it has everything except for the processor. Im getting the e8500, and can't wait.

I have been waiting for that E8500 for some time now :D. I really do hope that it comes out on the 20th :(.

im ready for the launch, I have a whole computer build right next to me, all togeather, because I just couldn't sit looking at those boxes, it has everything except for the processor. Im getting the e8500, and can't wait.

Which motherboard do you have? I have everything save the mobo and cpu and I was thinking about an Abit IP35 (pro).

Mainstream Penryn quad cores are going to launch in a few days. I have kept myself from buying the Q6600 for quite a long time, seems like this should be a good time to strike.

20071218192008081742783353.jpg

Is feb/march "a few days" for you? That's a few months in my book.

All these release rumors are making my life hard. I kinda want to move from my Opty 170 but I don't know which direction to go. 45nm is coming within a couple months. The nehalem rumors have me wanting to wait. Because they won't be on 775 correct. I just don't want to be stuck on a outdated platform again like I did with 939 but then again for as much as I upgrade it prob wouldn't matter. I still think my comp is a decent performer and I have used C2D rigs.

Sorry I'm just babbling now this is what I get for posting on no sleep.

All these release rumors are making my life hard. I kinda want to move from my Opty 170 but I don't know which direction to go. 45nm is coming within a couple months. The nehalem rumors have me wanting to wait. Because they won't be on 775 correct. I just don't want to be stuck on a outdated platform again like I did with 939 but then again for as much as I upgrade it prob wouldn't matter. I still think my comp is a decent performer and I have used C2D rigs.

Sorry I'm just babbling now this is what I get for posting on no sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Nehalem All kinds of new cool stuff, that is even more exciting! These are supposed to come out late 2008. The 32nm shrink and improved version should come out after that in 2009. Then we get sandy bridge (32nm) in 2010, and the shrink to 22nm in 2011.

Intel has said that they will like to flip flop between a new microarchitecture and the shrink of it every other year. 08: Nehalem. 09: Nehalem shrink. 10: Sandy Bridge. 11: Sandy Bridge shrink.

My predictions say that in 2012 we will get a new microarchitecture with 22nm, then the shrink in 2013 to 16nm. This will continue infinitely...

Not sure if this is correct but atoms have a diameter of 0.06 to 0.6 nm.:p

PLaYaHaTeD, did you even read the chart properly, the dates are mentioned under January.

Mainstream Penryn quad cores are going to launch in a few days.

Last time i checked, penryn quad core processors have the codename Yorkfield, which says feb/march on that chart.

Unless the op was talking about mobile cpus (i don't think he was), then "a few days" makes no sense. Believe me, I more than anyone wish that i could shell out some dough for a Q9450 and x48 tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

oh I wasn't aware of that, what about the widespread pricing charts available over the web? :(

Looks like people here having a problem with understanding what is what:

Penryn CPUs:
  • Wolfdale - Dual Core CPUs - e8190-e8500 - 20th January
  • Yorkfield - Quad Core CPUs - q9300-q9550 - Feb/March

Being that I'll be moving on from my K8 based rig (it's been a long time since I considered Intel), I'm having some issues understanding something about Penryn: Does the Q9450 still run with a FSB of 333, thereby calling for DDR2-667 RAM?

Also, is there a consensus on the best $100-$250 Penryn motherboard?

Being that I'll be moving on from my K8 based rig (it's been a long time since I considered Intel), I'm having some issues understanding something about Penryn: Does the Q9450 still run with a FSB of 333, thereby calling for DDR2-667 RAM?

Also, is there a consensus on the best $100-$250 Penryn motherboard?

Divide 1333 in half you get 667. Run memory in dual channel mode at 667. But these should be great overclockers, you would OC the fsb to 1600 and run the memory at 800.

Divide 1333 in half you get 667. Run memory in dual channel mode at 667. But these should be great overclockers, you would OC the fsb to 1600 and run the memory at 800.

So the base FSB is 333mhz quad pumped. Some 1066 Tracers should do just fine with maxing out an overclock then.

So the base FSB is 333mhz quad pumped. Some 1066 Tracers should do just fine with maxing out an overclock then.

If you can continue to OC the FSB no problem, then you can keep going up.

1700 fsb : 850 mem
1800 fsb : 900 mem
1900 fsb : 950 mem
2000 fsb : 1000 mem etc etc
If you can OC the FSB to 2132, your ram would be great. Otherwise you could underclock the ram.

If memory controllers could support quad channel, you'd run 4 sticks each at 333 if you were using a 1333 fsb. It may sound slow but you are getting too more pathways to memory, this would only get impressive if you could run each at 800 let's say (3200 fsb :eek: )

These penryns are only going to last around Q3/Q4 2008 Q1 '09, around that time intel is whipping out the Nehalem.

Mines missing video and cpu. I think I can hold out the next few months... Q9450!

If you know you won't finish your build, then what's the point of buying certain computer parts early? I mean, wouldn't it feel like your existing parts are obsolete ( or they might have went down in price or maybe something better came out ) by the time you buy the remaining components?

Back