Mainstream gulftown

Boostage

Limp Gawd
When is Intel expected to release a non extreme version for poor people like me?

I don't think poor people buy 6 core processors.

:D
Well, we can dream can't we? I was under the impression there will never be a 1366 non-extreme Gulftown or anything that would even remotely approach being called "The 920 of Gulftown" valuewise. BUT, then I also hear of a possibility (could just be dreaming fanboy on a forum somewhere) that there will be a 1366 Gulftown Xeon that might just squeak into the realm of "affordability" ala $500 range.

It would be nice to be able to upgrade just the CPU for once without having to buy a board.

Gamers, imho, will be using 4.0-4.5 920's and 930's for a long long time.

I lol'd

probably going to be at least a year if not more

A year dude? That's way too long. I'm thinkin' along the lines of 3-6 months or less even. That is if you're willing to google your mobo to see if it can accept a Xeon equivalent that's lower clocked. Info lower priced gulftowns were on posted on techpowerup a while back.

A year and sandy bridge will be out. New socket needed? I know AMD will need a new socket when buldozer comes out next year.

I would expect lower clocked 6 cores after more 32nm production goes online this year.

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for the rumored 970 at the ~$550 price point.

I've been looking to replace my over four year old rig. It was just old enough to miss Core2 by a couple of months, so it's a pretty crappy Pentium.. 805D or something that overclocks decently... but then someone decided that clock speed would stop getting faster, and you'd get more out of your system per clock... and you'd throw in more than two cores, etc.. Anyway... it just felt like my last upgrade was really poorly timed.

Everyone is getting these 920 processors these days? And they're like a year and a half old? And it seems like the same system will cost you more now than it would 6 months ago thanks to things like RAM prices? What the heck!

I like Intel, and I like Nvidia in general... I was kind of waiting on this new Gulftown stuff and... Fermi(?)... but it sounds like Fermi kind of sucks compared to ATI's offerings, and Gulftown released with only an extreme component. As someone who doesn't follow the latest tech that closely it's all pretty disappointing.

I'm still looking at something Intel based. Probably ATI 5870 type graphics... I like having lots of extra cores because I do a ton of multitasking across three 1920x1200 displays. I'd like to 'eyefinity' game on it... But that'll be split 50/50 with my software development work. I'd like to keep fairly memory hungry IDE's and lots of web reference/casual browsing open during my work and be able to hop into a game without going into a swap disk fit.. so I kind of want to go overkill with 12gb of RAM. But things like idle power consumption and heat are a pretty big issue for me since this is pretty much an 'always on' system.

Ok, I'm just rambling right now... but it just seems like I need to upgrade soon, and as it turns out this is another less than ideal time to do it. Any thoughts, anyone?

People keep saying that since there is no plans for a non-EE 6-core part in the roadmap for another year, that it won't happen til then. I think Intel will move that up and provide regular 6-cores at the end of this year.

I've been looking to replace my over four year old rig. It was just old enough to miss Core2 by a couple of months, so it's a pretty crappy Pentium.. 805D or something that overclocks decently... but then someone decided that clock speed would stop getting faster, and you'd get more out of your system per clock... and you'd throw in more than two cores, etc.. Anyway... it just felt like my last upgrade was really poorly timed.
I liked and still like my Core2 but it seems like there's a good 20%+ to be had by moving up in quite a few games even if they don't advertise multithreading design (like Far Cry 2). Middleware like UniGine will be hitting and cores will be ablaze evenly (hard problem).

Everyone is getting these 920 processors these days? And they're like a year and a half old? And it seems like the same system will cost you more now than it would 6 months ago thanks to things like RAM prices? What the heck!
I guess the 920s overclock nice. I like getting the top bining and going higher on air but whatever, the i7s kinda confused me with the memory voltage limits and very nit-picky memory compatibility on some boards. What the heck, since when does Mushkin not make the evga compatibility list? I'd like to have a 970 right now. New fab and threads. Yum.

I like Intel, and I like Nvidia in general... I was kind of waiting on this new Gulftown stuff and... Fermi(?)... but it sounds like Fermi kind of sucks compared to ATI's offerings, and Gulftown released with only an extreme component. As someone who doesn't follow the latest tech that closely it's all pretty disappointing.
I think you nailed it. Is it the economy? Is it a long string of popular console titles? DRM getting stupid? Bittorrent getting too easy? Watts getting crazy? Crappy PC console ports? Blizzard hasn't released their killer titles yet? Everyone is playing WoW? Is it not one thing but many things? If it's many things, which ones?

I'm still looking at something Intel based. Probably ATI 5870 type graphics... I like having lots of extra cores because I do a ton of multitasking across three 1920x1200 displays. I'd like to 'eyefinity' game on it... But that'll be split 50/50 with my software development work. I'd like to keep fairly memory hungry IDE's and lots of web reference/casual browsing open during my work and be able to hop into a game without going into a swap disk fit.. so I kind of want to go overkill with 12gb of RAM. But things like idle power consumption and heat are a pretty big issue for me since this is pretty much an 'always on' system.
I feel the same way but if you look it up many boxes are about the same as an old school lightbulb. Spin disks down after 2 hours. Unplug your PS3 at night. Buy an atom chip for surfing. Harness the limitless power of cake. ^_^

Ok, I'm just rambling right now... but it just seems like I need to upgrade soon, and as it turns out this is another less than ideal time to do it.
Try to wait for the next round of stuff. At least the 32nm chips or AMD's lineup. Play an old game, distract yourself with springtime, buy cheap games on steam.

Any thoughts, anyone?
Thoughts. Cake is pretty tasty and I like listening to coders. They have a goddamn handle on things (broad brush go!).

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Intel did release a non-EE hexacore chip this year as EE chips have never represented a good value and the 980 is a exception to that.

Good value is probably overstating the case, they are at least chips that have capabilities that can't be easily mimicked by overclocking a much cheaper part because of its hexacore design.

I don't think AMD's thuban will make any difference with Intel's 6 core plans unless the thuban performs significantly better than expected.

Does 'for poor people like me' mean 1366 in a sub-$500 price or are we extending it even further to mean a hexa-core 1156? I'm sure we will see ~$500 and lower 1366 processors in the lifetime of socket 1366, the question is will we ever see a six core 1156 CPU? By the time the next process shrink comes around, there will also be a new socket, so I'm not sure that they will ever release a larger 1156 CPU.

If the Phenom II x6 1090T out performs the Core i7 860, I could see Intel release a 1156 Hexacore CPU.

I don't think poor people buy 6 core processors.

I'm going to wait for people who think they have money. Eventually they'll need to sale their 980x here on the forums because they are low on cash, or poor as you say.

A year and sandy bridge will be out. New socket needed? I know AMD will need a new socket when buldozer comes out next year.

Sandy Bridge will replace the 1156 socket with the 1155. The 1366 socket will remain the enthusiast platform, it's not going anywhere.

incredibly (to the point of nearly impossible) unlikely.

Currently, the Phenom II 965 is faster than the i7 870 in games. In applications it's a different story. When the Phenom 1090T is release, I believe that it will be faster in both games and applications, making AMD very relevant again at the mid-high end. If this indeed turns out to be true, that may pressure intel to release it's own "budget" hexa-core cpu for 1156.

Link showing 965 is faster than the 870 in GAMES.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i3-gaming,2588-13.html

Last edited:
Hmmm, I am waiting for the Mainstream Gulftown as well, though I might just get somebody to pick up the 930 for 199 USD at Microcenter....

Back