Mainboard Maker "Predicts" Launch of AMD FX "Bulldozer" Chips at Computex.

Whatever. You just go down your one track mind with your imaginary needs. 6gb is completely unnecessary for anything other than heavy transcoding work that requires lots of RAM. Gaming often requires no more than 3gb RAM. Yes, it is possible to squeeze a few hundred, increasing by 5mhz with a 33 multiplier does give you 165 mhz overclock.

Right now...with no games running and Aero turned-off, I am at 1.99 GB. With SupCom running 8 players @ 750 units each, I will run well over 2GB...something like 2.3 GB probably. I need the extra two GBs as a good buffer.

I don't want to spend good money after bad. If what i'll need to overclock the Phenom still doesn't cut it...I'll have to RMA and it will be hassle plus restocking fees.

Its your money. I hope for my sake that you are wrong and in 6 months your talking about how SB is disapointing and that you should have waited for SB. Its nothing personal but I am an AMD fan and I am hoping for the best. But I am building a new PC this year and the better CPU for me gets the purchase. If its SB then so be it. I just think don't think your way of going about it is smart.

I'm right there with you bro. I graduated from a 1 Ghz P3 to Athlon XP 1500+, to Barton 2400+ to Athlon 64 4000+ and a few AMD cpus in between. Then I read about hyperthreading with P4s so I got decent P4 system...totally disgusted with it. I installed it and boxed it up for return the same night.

The truth is with Core Duo and Core 2, Intel took over and they are quite far ahead. AMD's track record of late is price-performance and efficiency. I think Bulldozer will be a good platform...I just don't see the raw power that I want coming from BD.

If I am wrong in six months...I'll be back. :D

If I am wrong in six months...I'll be back. :D

Ugh 2nd quarter of 2011 would be April, May, June buddie. Six months from now is October 15 lol! Do you always miss the obvious in life?

Anyhow we will all know very soon how well BD will perform when it comes to high-performance computing single threaded performance, and multi-threaded against Sandy Bridge architecture.

There is no doubt in anyone's mind in this thread who has looked into Pi benchmarks comparing the SB high end (2011) architecture to the budget priced/performance Athlon 2 of (2009) architecture or the Phenom 2 of (2008) architecture. There is a difference in both areas of performance, and single threaded performance is AMD's weakest link at the moment. ;) Mr. excels in low blow posts.

To bad that moment is about over for you and anyone who is actually mentally capable of telling the time. :D You will see OC'ers getting <10 second Super Pi's with BD. Will AMD BD be able to pull 7 second or less runs like a dry iced Sandy Bridge...depends if you can tell the difference in orders of magnitude (time) hehe. From your post I'm not sure if you should try calculating that with your brain you probably installed yourself.

Also lets face it, it took SB 4 months to get some solid motherboards out for their SB CPU's.

How does that saying go....Patience is a Virtue, and herpes last for life! ;) Yeah something like that. Smooth move on the SB brown nosing though, herpes might be in your future broski.

The speed is in my sig...lets I can OC my Phenom II to about 3.8 GHz...my 830 is a custom model sold only through HP, it should be better than a Athlon II..bc the 840 has no 6M L3 cache but my 830 does have 6MB L3 cache...will my marks jump significantly? Maybe...but
lets face it...clock for clock it's on the level of a low-end Core 2 quad. That's generations ago.

Core i7 with same OC beats the pants off of Phenom...that's the point. In single threaded application..the speed of an i7 is more than double a phenom. There are stock i7's running the same multi-threaded benchmarks at similar speeds as AMD's latest six-cores.

Would I pick a Core i3 530 over the quad-core I have now?....abso-freaking-lutely.

If AMD wants some hearts and minds back....Bulldozer better be good. Which I kinda hope it is...I've liked AMD, esp. when they the gamer CPUs of choice. But as for me right now...i'm jumping ship. ;)

I haven't bought a Hewlett Packard since the 90's, don't do that. :D

I haven't bought a Hewlett Packard since the 90's, don't do that. :D

It's a good computer...motherboard crapped out on me. I sent it in for RMA to HP...1 and half week turnaround. Actually...it was at that point that I considered getting the overclocking motherboard. I wasn't quite sure what the problem was...I was getting random BSOD and crashes. I thought it was my power supply...bought a corsair @ Best Buy...still same crashes. I tested my RAM one stick at a time. All solid memtest 86 for hours. I actually baked my GTX 460 for a short time thinking overclocking damaged it and driver conflicts were causing the crashing. There was a big thread about 400 series video cards not being compatible with certain motherboards. After all that, I figured something was wrong with the mobo but I wasn't absolutely sure. I saw all the Core i5/ i7 overclocked benchmarks and I decided what I really wanted to do was go Core i5 but I would have to save up. Why should I buy another motherboard when HP was going to fix it for free? Then fortunately for me, SB came out and I almost had the money saved...so I waited for a few more weeks of saving and now I'll be rocking Sandy Bridge instead of the first gen. i5 I was going to get. :D

Plus a brain. :cool:

lol what? AMD fanbois can be so cruel...:( ;):p

And I'm telling you again, you don't need that extra 2gb. That 2gb is completely useless for any sort of gaming besides horrible console ports like GTA IV. And even then, I barely break 3.5gb usage, and GTA IV is more resource intensive than supreme commander 2 ever will be.

Sitting at desktop WITH Aero, I get about 1.7gb RAM usage. That's with many background programs (EVGA precision, 3 chat clients, teamviewer, automatic defragmentor, steam, and several others). I had absolutely no problems having Firefox 3 in the background (sending RAM usage to 2.2gb) and playing supreme commander 2 with 8 players on the largest map available with a 15 minute no rush land battle, so all the units being sent out are massive experimentals. In fact, my system was one of the faster running systems, and that was before I overclocked my CPU.

Not saying you shouldn't do whatever you want with your money, by all means, blow your money on useless stuff for all I care. Just trying to correct your misguided thinking.

) and playing supreme commander 2 with 8

Take out the "2" and you have a whole other ballgame. I do need the extra RAM. When you get to 5000-6000 units an hour into a game..you're up into 2.5 GBs easily. I play SupCom:FA online sometimes at a snails pace...with my game speed slipping to -3 and -4 when the unit count gets large. I can always pick out the Core iX owners...they never fall below +1.

I am running Unganged dual-channel 2x64-bit.

As I said, I would need different RAM for overclocking included with the cost of a new AMD motherboard.

I wish I was near a Microcenter...I am going with a Biostar H67 micro-ATX with two PCI-e slots....so now i'll have use for my shelved 9800 GT 1 GB as a Physx card. And I am going with a 2500 non-K. I cannot do overclocking with my RAM, so to keep costs down I am transferring it to the non-K system. I could set the memory divider very low to DDR3 800 Mhz, which should get me to 200 Blck, but I don't have faith in it. A stock 2500 should be perfect for my purposes...with a P67 I might be able to squeeze a few 100 Mhz out of it with limited overclocking. When I upgrade again, which will not be for a while...I am going to build a totally new rig. A new 2500k runs about $229...btw. The combo I am getting is on NewEgg for 285 dollars + plus tax and ship.

I am keeping the Phenom II and motherboard for HTPC, when I get some cheap parts to make it whole again.

You don't need new ram, you just need to know how to set it up. I was able to overclock my previous Athlon II 620 from 2.6GHz to 3.6GHz all with crap DDR2-"1066" memory that wouldn't even run any faster than 800MHz. If you have DDR3-1066 you are running a 8:3 multi, you can select lower settings manually, like 2:1, 5:3 or 4:3 on an overclocking board to keep it near 800 or 1066MHz: 2:1 will allow you to reach 266, 5:3 will allow you to hit 300, and technically 4:3 will allow you to hit 400. All three memory dividers will keep your ram at 1066 or less.

Its your money. I hope for my sake that you are wrong and in 6 months your talking about how SB is disapointing and that you should have waited for...

6 months can come really fast when......:eek:

When I said in six months I might change my mind...I was responding to Topweasel. Please read the posts before you respond.

You don't need new ram, you just need to know how to set it up. I was able to overclock my previous Athlon II 620 from 2.6GHz to 3.6GHz all with crap DDR2-"1066" memory that wouldn't even run any faster than 800MHz. If you have DDR3-1066 you are running a 8:3 multi, you can select lower settings manually, like 2:1, 5:3 or 4:3 on an overclocking board to keep it near 800 or 1066MHz: 2:1 will allow you to reach 266, 5:3 will allow you to hit 300, and technically 4:3 will allow you to hit 400. All three memory dividers will keep your ram at 1066 or less.

I know about the memory dividers...my complaints about needing new memory are a cop-out for not wanting to investing more money in a platform that I am not confident in. Deneb or Bulldozer... it doesn't matter...Sandy Bridge will do me just fine.

Last edited:
Hearing the complaints of spacing guild reminds me of when once apon a time I had to use OEM computers. The remedy for that was building my own. It doesnt matter how awesome the OEM computer is, they always cut a corner somewhere that destroys performance or reliability.

Best solution, build your own from the ground up, doesnt matter what brands/makes, it will be a better experience if you get quality components with a warrany. Probably wont cost you too much more, and the performance will be higher.

Hearing the complaints of spacing guild reminds me of when once apon a time I had to use OEM computers. The remedy for that was building my own. It doesnt matter how awesome the OEM computer is, they always cut a corner somewhere that destroys performance or reliability.

Best solution, build your own from the ground up, doesnt matter what brands/makes, it will be a better experience if you get quality components with a warrany. Probably wont cost you too much more, and the performance will be higher.

lol..unreal the ignorance. I could not have built this computer for the money I paid for it. HP has honored the warranty in quick fashion, having replaced the motherboard once...FOR FREE UNDER WARRANTY.

And when I'm done with my upgrades...I'll have a whole new computer and an HTPC- which was the long-term plan...and for people without a lot of money to spare...plans take time.

Stop blaming my motherboard or my OEM build......the truth is, the Phenom II platform stinks. And neither two extra cores or a 1 GHz overclock is going to change that.

I know about the memory dividers...my complaints about needing new memory are a cop-out for not wanting to investing more money in a platform that I am not confident in. Deneb or Bulldozer... it doesn't matter...Sandy Bridge will do me just fine.

That's fine and all, but you shouldn't base your confidence in a CPU platform off of what you get from an off-the-shelf OEM machine, for bargain basement prices, you will never get a fully optimized machine. That is the main reason I do not buy OEM for myself.

lol..unreal the ignorance. I could not have built this computer for the money I paid for it. HP has honored the warranty in quick fashion, having replaced the motherboard once...FOR FREE UNDER WARRANTY.

And when I'm done with my upgrades...I'll have a whole new computer and an HTPC- which was the long-term plan...and for people without a lot of money to spare...plans take time.

Stop blaming my motherboard or my OEM build......the truth is, the Phenom II platform stinks. And neither two extra cores or a 1 GHz overclock is going to change that.

for gaming purposes the Phenom II is just fine, shit i use it instead of my 2600k to game. Building a machine on your own, you would have gotten a bad mobo replaced FOR FREE UNDER WARRANTY as well....but the chances would be slim to none that it would have failed on you.

Price wise, i find that at the ~$500 and below mark the OEM's have better price-performance, above that, its pretty much even.

That's fine and all, but you shouldn't base your confidence in a CPU platform off of what you get from an off-the-shelf OEM machine, for bargain basement prices, you will never get a fully optimized machine. That is the main reason I do not buy OEM for myself.

Well, I am getting a fully optimized machine, I call her Sandy...and this HP can sit in a cabinet under my widescreen and serve-up Hulu, Net-flix and Blu-ray movies. ;)

Ignorance? I base my suggestion of of experience, and facts. I did not tell you to stay with your current system that you are complaining is not enough for you. I said that any computer you build yourself will give you a better experience than any off the shelf computer.

I know what a budget is like, I have one too, and it is probably lower than yours. If you chose components as low of quality that OEM's use, you would end up close to the price you paid. However the point is to get a higher quality components for a little more money that have flexibility, features, and support that the OEM's do not have.

If the phenom II platform sucks then why did you buy it? You are taking my comment as a personal attack on you when it was stating an obvious fact that most people know on this web site, and that is building your own computer is the best way to get the features and performance you want.

for gaming purposes the Phenom II is just fine, shit i use it instead of my 2600k to game. .

Yeah I see that...hook up that 6870 to your 2600k and run some comparison benchies for me. No loaded multi-threaded benchies either...I wanna see Vantage, 2006, 2005, wprime 1024M, Super Pi 32M, PCMark...maybe a couple of built-in benchmarks like Far Cry 2 or Crysis.

Looks like you have both those CPUs around the same speed...drop your i2600k to 4.2 Ghz also....should be interesting.

I want to see how overpowering the 2600K is in single-threaded benchmarks. That's what i'm looking for. Raw power to vastly improve RTS game speeds. Not StarCraft 2 or WarHammer...i'm talking about truly demanding RTS' with thousands of units that bring all but the best PCs down to their knees. Because as much as we wan't to believe it...most games that claim they are optimized for four cores do better with dual-core CPUs with more single-threaded power.

If the phenom II platform sucks then why did you buy it? You are taking my comment as a personal attack on you when it was stating an obvious fact that most people know on this web site, and that is building your own computer is the best way to get the features and performance you want.

I didn't have the means to build the computer I wanted...so I accepted a lesser computer in the short-run, planning to rebuild. Which I am doing...people seem to be mad that I am not buying another good overclocking motherboard and OCing what I have. It's not going to be better than getting Sandy Bridge...it's just not. I have always wanted Core iX from jumpstreet..it destroys one of my favorite games Supreme Commander (the first, not 2) where all other CPUs fail...but I couldn't afford it.. I have slowly upgraded my computer to the point where I am now that 85 percent of my HP will be reassembled with new parts. I am finally getting the Core iX that I have always wanted. And when I get
money for the rest of the parts I want...I'll have a completely home-built Sandy Bridge system as my gamer...and I will put my HP back together and use it for HTPC.

Last edited:
Yeah I see that...hook up that 6870 to your 2600k and run some comparison benchies for me. No loaded multi-threaded benchies either...I wanna see Vantage, 2006, 2005, wprime 1024M, Super Pi 32M, PCMark...maybe a couple of built-in benchmarks like Far Cry 2 or Crysis.

Looks like you have both those CPUs around the same speed...drop your i2600k to 4.2 Ghz also....should be interesting.

I want to see how overpowering the 2600K is in single-threaded benchmarks. That's what i'm looking for. Raw power to vastly improve RTS game speeds. Not StarCraft 2 or WarHammer...i'm talking about truly demanding RTS' with thousands of units that bring all but the best PCs down to their knees. Because as much as we wan't to believe it...most games that claim they are optimized for four cores do better with dual-core CPUs with more single-threaded power.

In single threaded programs you will see a difference, that is well known since the difference core-to-core comparison is sided toward intel(again comon knowledge that any review of the Phenom II chips brings up).

Also, of course in benchmarks (everything you listed), the 2600k will beat the Phenom II's, again this is due to the IPC advantage.....what would a HyperPi benchmark due to prove that the gaming is not similar ?

Cant do any of those anyhow, since the 2600k is now in linux, done with windows on it.

In single threaded programs you will see a difference, that is well known since the difference core-to-core comparison is sided toward intel(again comon knowledge that any review of the Phenom II chips brings up).

Also, of course in benchmarks (everything you listed), the 2600k will beat the Phenom II's, again this is due to the IPC advantage.....what would a HyperPi benchmark due to prove that the gaming is not similar ?

Cant do any of those anyhow, since the 2600k is now in linux, done with windows on it.

2600K just for linux? lol...lucky you. um why would you need that kind of power for linux..just curious.

It really surprises me how ignorant YOU are space guild.

The most important factor in gaming is the GPU. Any dual core clocked above 3.2 ghz will handle most modern games with ease, it is only the poorly scaled and console port games (like Crysis, GTA IV, etc) that will really eat up a system. And have you actually looked at your RAM usage while playing supreme commander? I doubt it, because I highly doubt that 4gb can ever restrict you in current games. Only in eyefinity/nvsurround at high resolutions would Phenom II at lower than 3.5 ghz restrict you. Benchmarks give no indicator whatsoever of actual gameplay experience.

At what point did we ever say the Phenom II would be better than Sandy Bridge? All we have ever tried to say is that getting a good overclocking motherboard would be a much more cost effective solution than getting a Sandy Bridge build. And since that is a C3 Phenom II processor, it can probably easily be overclocked to match a 2500, if not beat it.

And yes, I see you're talking about Supreme Commander. I know what those games are like, because I personally do actually play those games. At most, my system is maybe 1 or 2 less than the top systems in the game, which are probably i7's. To say that a Phenom II sucks is just... (insert extremely rude comment here, well.. maybe not that rude).

2600K just for linux? lol...lucky you. um why would you need that kind of power for linux..just curious.

Clearly he's using it for folding.

Last edited:

Its my home server, and MythTV backend, in the downtime it folds for F@H, i have no need for it as a desktop since the difference in game play is negligible for all I do. As said in the post above me, game is typically more GPU dependent than anything.

Clearly he's using it for folding.

go cancer research or um, whatever else...I've never folded so I wouldn't have known...last time I used linux was about 8 yrs ago.

I know a lot of games are GPU limited...I get it. Core iX is not a just a little faster or one or two steps faster in SupCom...it's a whole lot faster. Like game-changing faster...it's the only online game I know where you can monitor stats of the game's players and be able to tell what player is using what class of CPU with a fair degree of certainty. Sins of a Solar Empire is even worse..with 9 AIs and 60-70 planets...you're talking easily over ten thousand units at full tilt mid-game. I seriously doubt I'll pick-up more than 10 fps. by going to Sandy Bridge but it will be better.

I know it's insulting to AMD owners...no one wants to hear those type of things, esp. with limited resources for upgrades. But i'm not a fanboi for any side...I call it like I see it. I've used AMD and Intel...had a nice Core 2 e6300 @ 3Ghz for years. Had a nice mobile Barton 2400 that I used for almost as long. I've had ATi and nVidia...I don't care. I'll use whatever I think is best for me.

I have benched my system @ 8 mins 40 seconds in a custom SupCom benchmark...I'll report back this time next week and I'll let you know the difference. If you have SupCom installed, I'll email you the replay and you can use the same benchmark, if you're curious.

When I said in six months I might change my mind...I was responding to Topweasel. Please read the posts before you respond.

I apologize.

Hey you did bring up a good point about Super Pi single threaded performance. But you also have to remember now that AM3+ has a board officially out you could throw in your old Phenom 2 chip on one anytime now get some OCing in now, and/or wait for more boards with more versatility to become available. Seriously you could get a 30-45 or so dollar AM3 aftermarket cooler (that I would think would be compatible with BD cpu's), and an AM3+ mobo for 104.99 So you would only be out 150.00 but with a 500mhz-up to-1 GHZ performance boost quite easily, and Sata 6 USB 3.0 etc tech.

I think SB platform is about done anyhow (and it's great @ being a single threaded beast with four cores, but that might be all it can ever do. SB should get crushed in multi-threaded BD 8 Core comparisons because most PII X6's keep up nicely in those benches when stock speeds are compared to AMD's 3 year old tech. Yet BD is a whole new CPU IPC from AMD, it doesn't even resemble a Athlon II / Phenom II.

Intel is also moving to 2011 socket. So if you get a 1155 you are going to be cornered in on lockdown. Conversely with an AM3+ mobo it will hold up through alot more CPU upgrade cycles. You have the option of older easily affordable new/used Dual, Tri, Quad, Hex cores. Then you also have the all the new BD FX 4,6,8 cores, and whatever AMD releases beyond that cycle will surely be compatible as well with BIOS upgrade in a worst case scenario.

Options baby do you have it with 1155? Answer that question honestly. Trust me I don't deny the possibility of SB holding Super Pi benchmark crown over BD, but no way in hell would I be foolish enough to bet against AMD. For the simple fact that the Athlon32 bit Bartons & Athlon 64 939 was such a beast back in the late 90's to mid 2005 when it was their NEW* architecture. And yes the Core 2 of 2006 has crushed socket AM2+/AM3 in performance but never in cost! This year 2011 is a new bright era for AMD don't be foolish. AMD crushed p3/p4 back in the day as well anyhow, that's how the industry works ups and downs. History has a way of catching up with humans.

Also if your going to be building a HTPC with that CPU why not keep eyes on new AM3+ mobos and get one with alot of Sata ports so you can have plenty of HD space for shows/HD BRRiped movies? I know I'm itching to get 3TB support and 8-10 sata ports on the next mobo in my future when 7-8GB is not enough for me, on the Bulldozer platform.

I predict BD 8 core crushing SB 4 core in every multi-media benchmark available bro, and competing [H] in single threading as well. Look @ this newer article on [H] x6 gets basically a 6 score @ stock speeds in Cinebench. The 2600K stock gets close to a 7. BD will have better IPC and 4 more cores than a 2500/2600k, it will score an 8 no problem stock (Even in a Hewlett Packard build buddie) ;). SB might win the unzipping speed contest by a few seconds and the Pi benches by a thinning bald hair, but when it comes to audio and ALL video encoding, BluRay to MKV for example, MP3 encoding etc. BD 8 core will kill your 2600k by minutes/hours in the long haul. Sorry.

Gaming performance @ 1080p+ resolutions will be so close (which will be more determined by the GPU used anyhow) it is a silly comparison , but I really see BD being a smoother gameplay experience there as well with the added cores for the system to utilize well into the future.

It doesn't matter to me go get the SB now, and I bet you will be upgrading your other HTPC system to BD anyhow down the line when someone else shows you with colorful bar charts the advantages of an 8 core BD in multi-media and gaming situations built on the latest AMD architecture. ;)

SB = good @ unzipping files, gaming @ 640p, and canned benching.

For everything else real there is BD FX 8 Core. Have fun. :)

go cancer research or um, whatever else...I've never folded so I wouldn't have known...last time I used linux was about 8 yrs ago.

I know a lot of games are GPU limited...I get it. Core iX is not a just a little faster or one or two steps faster in SupCom...it's a whole lot faster. Like game-changing faster...it's the only online game I know where you can monitor stats of the game's players and be able to tell what player is using what class of CPU with a fair degree of certainty. Sins of a Solar Empire is even worse..with 9 AIs and 60-70 planets...you're talking easily over ten thousand units at full tilt mid-game. I seriously doubt I'll pick-up more than 10 fps. by going to Sandy Bridge but it will be better.

I know it's insulting to AMD owners...no one wants to hear those type of things, esp. with limited resources for upgrades. But i'm not a fanboi for any side...I call it like I see it. I've used AMD and Intel...had a nice Core 2 e6300 @ 3Ghz for years. Had a nice mobile Barton 2400 that I used for almost as long. I've had ATi and nVidia...I don't care. I'll use whatever I think is best for me.

I have benched my system @ 8 mins 40 seconds in a custom SupCom benchmark...I'll report back this time next week and I'll let you know the difference. If you have SupCom installed, I'll email you the replay and you can use the same benchmark, if you're curious.

BTW do you even know that the HP you purchased doesn't even have Gigabit LAN? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147680&Tpk=phenom 830 (Details clearly state 10/100 LAN)

Think about upgrading that or getting a new board with Gigabyte LAN if you want to play SupCom online in a smoother environment.

Look for a board with a sticker like this ;)
AM3+-ready.png

Last edited:

It's not that it's insulting, you may be calling it as you see it, but your configuration is messed up. The point is you're comparing vastly different CPU's at vastly different price points, yet you seem to be using your own made-up justifications to compare them as if they were targeted at the same demographic. Based on your posting though, you seem to be against any kind of overclock. So yeah, the 2500 would give you the best stock performance. If you had said that you were against any kind of overclock, none of us would have bothered you about getting an overclocking board for your Phenom II, and said go ahead with that 2500 purchase. Your posts, however, are misleading in that you seem to say you are for overclocking, yet everything you get would run at stock speeds.

At the price the 2500 is at, it would be competing with the Phenom II x6 1090T. It's not even competing with the Phenom II x4's, it's competing with the x6's. AMD knows at the moment they can't beat Intel in single or double-threaded applications, so they're pricing their processors accordingly so that they are at least equal to Intel with multi-threaded applications.

Go ahead and send me the replay. I would like to see how much of a difference .9 ghz makes (my processor runs at 3.7 ghz compared to your 2.8). But you have to tell me exactly what you do so that I can replicate what you do.

Gigabit LAN doesn't help with internet gaming performance. Internet speeds barely exceed 10mbps speeds, much less reach 1000mbps.

It's not that it's insulting, you may be calling it as you see it, but your configuration is messed up. The point is you're comparing vastly different CPU's at vastly different price points, yet you seem to be using your own made-up justifications to compare them as if they were targeted at the same demographic. Based on your posting though, you seem to be against any kind of overclock. So yeah, the 2500 would give you the best stock performance. If you had said that you were against any kind of overclock, none of us would have bothered you about getting an overclocking board for your Phenom II, and said go ahead with that 2500 purchase. Your posts, however, are misleading in that you seem to say you are for overclocking, yet everything you get would run at stock speeds.

At the price the 2500 is at, it would be competing with the Phenom II x6 1090T. It's not even competing with the Phenom II x4's, it's competing with the x6's. AMD knows at the moment they can't beat Intel in single or double-threaded applications, so they're pricing their processors accordingly so that they are at least equal to Intel with multi-threaded applications.

Go ahead and send me the replay. I would like to see how much of a difference .9 ghz makes (my processor runs at 3.7 ghz compared to your 2.8). But you have to tell me exactly what you do so that I can replicate what you do.

Gigabit LAN doesn't help with internet gaming performance. Internet speeds barely exceed 10mbps speeds, much less reach 1000mbps.

Exactly. Space Guild, one main problem people have had is for some odd reason, you compare highly overclocked i5/i7 SuperPI results with your Phenom II at stock clocks:

lol...ok

Super Pi 1.5 32m (a primarily single-threaded benchmark):

11min 47sec 720ms - Core 2 E6700 (2.66Ghz)@4300mhz

9min 2sec 690ms - Core i7 920@4190mhz

17m 43s E2160 @ 3600MHz

My quad core rig - 25 minutes 20.162s

not...even...close... ;)

Then another thing I don't understand is the comparison you made in 3DMark Vantage, you do know that Vantage has a physics test that uses multiple cores very well.

Vantage: CPU + GPU:

My quad core Phenom 2 + GTX 460 1 GB 3d Mark Vantage: 12008

Dual Core i3 530 + HD 5850: 12308

Here is a result from HWBOT of a Phenom II @ 4.2GHz with a GTX 460 @ 1GHz: http://www.hwbot.org/community/subm...erformance_geforce_gtx_460_256bit_16991_marks

BTW do you even know that the HP you purchased doesn't even have Gigabit LAN? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147680&Tpk=phenom%20830 (Details clearly state 10/100 LAN)

Think about upgrading that or getting a new board with Gigabyte LAN if you want to play SupCom online in a smoother environment.
LMAO. You don't have a clue about online speeds or networking do you? Once again spouting off useless info to try and make a non-existent point or just make it look like you won the argument in your mind by typing more posts than anyone else.

1. Most games barely use 1mb/s of data at a time to transmit data. SupCom is no exception. Try using a network monitoring program and you will see what I mean.
2. There are very few places in the world that have gigibit internet in the first place. The only place gigabit speeds will help is when transferring files. Even then the server on the other end becomes a bottleneck. If the game server could transmit gigabit speeds to you, it would be pointless because the game doesn't have that much info to transmit in the first place...see #1 above.

Go ahead and keep spouting off your mindless fanboy trolling though. It is nice for a good laugh. Try and leave the serious discussion to everyone else.

LMAO. You don't have a clue about online speeds or networking do you? Once again spouting off useless info to try and make a non-existent point or just make it look like you won the argument in your mind by typing more posts than anyone else.

1. Most games barely use 1mb/s of data at a time to transmit data. SupCom is no exception. Try using a network monitoring program and you will see what I mean.
2. There are very few places in the world that have gigibit internet in the first place. The only place gigabit speeds will help is when transferring files. Even then the server on the other end becomes a bottleneck. If the game server could transmit gigabit speeds to you, it would be pointless because the game doesn't have that much info to transmit in the first place...see #1 above.

Go ahead and keep spouting off your mindless fanboy trolling though. It is nice for a good laugh. Try and leave the serious discussion to everyone else.

I'll try, what's a good one?

Sorry guys...pushed the button on a 2500k used for $200 with unused stock HSF...fit right into my budget. I have my Asus P67 motherboard picked-out...EFI Bios..should be a decent clocker. Seller is %100 on 30 feedbacks... replied quick to my emails. I'm sure it's been over-clocked if he didn't use the stock HSF...I hope he just broke it in for me...and not burned it out.

I hope he stays %100.

Had to do it, tho...it was a big, shiny, red, candy-like button...:D

23j4yo0.jpg

I seriously considered the AM3+ boards...and waiting for BD...but when I did the math, I found-out I could afford a 2500K and P67 instead of the H67 and non-K I was planning on getting.

whoever said it was 50% faster than the new 2600k, big liar! only 50% faster than the phenom 2 so about as fast as a decent intel.

Had to do it, tho...it was a big, shiny, red, candy-like button...:D

23j4yo0.jpg

I seriously considered the AM3+ boards...and waiting for BD...but when I did the math, I found-out I could afford a 2500K and P67 instead of the H67 and non-K I was planning on getting.

At least you didn't purchase log from blamo eh ;) Rock on bro, it's pretty much the best Quad on the market today.

(I really wanted to say "STImpy you eeediot!!" though! (haha) I got the 10.5GB mkv torrent on my 2TB a few weeks ago, it's a great cartoon show.) :p When you get that 2500k up and running I want to see some single threaded Pi benches posted up here though. (I think by the time that happens we can compare it with BullDozer! :) + Someone will have to eat crow by then which is always funny :D

Back