Mail Server software

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
What do you guys use? We currently have IceWarp's Merak Mail Server 8.9 and looking to either upgrade it or migrate it to something else. Any recommendations? We host websites and sometimes the email for realestate companies (or regions of a company).

All we want is the mail server, nothing extra (such as VoIP, SMS, or IM) that would increase the cost.

EDIT:
200 clients or so, our company is expanding so we will need that can grow as well.
Volume isn't overwhelming, I can't give you an exact number as I just started in this company.

Last edited:
A bit more details on your requirements might help. How do your clients access their mail? What is the volume of message traffic you anticipate?

A bit more details on your requirements might help. How do your clients access their mail? What is the volume of message traffic you anticipate?

200 clients or so, our company is expanding so we will need that can grow as well.
Volume isn't overwhelming, I can't give you an exact number as I just started in this company.

If all you need is the basics, nothing beats sendmail + dovecot. Mix in a little tls loving, and you're gold.

howtoforge.com has a lot of tutorials that cover the postfix/sendmail dovecot mysql. Also there is a linux distro/install script called iredmail that is supposed to be pretty good.

We used Horde before when we were hosting on our own servers. Decided to keep it out of house a while ago, so all our POP and www hosting is done over at RackspaceCloud.com
It's dirt cheap over there, we make more money than if we ran our own hardware locally and added to our electric bill.

What do you guys use? We currently have IceWarp's Merak Mail Server 8.9 and looking to either upgrade it or migrate it to something else. Any recommendations? We host websites and sometimes the email for realestate companies (or regions of a company).

All we want is the mail server, nothing extra (such as VoIP, SMS, or IM) that would increase the cost.

EDIT:

out of curiosity, where do you work, pm is fine. I used to work for a software development company that did hosting for real estate agent/brokers and used merak mail, maybe just a huge coincidence? haha.

probably not the same place though, I think they finally trashed merak mail and now use rackspace to host their client mail.

http://www.afterlogic.com/mailsuite/linux-email-server

They actually have Linux and windows versions. But the Linux version has mobile sync along with LDAP authentication, Webmail and Outlook sync. So umm yeah, it's $399 for 250 user license on a single server. I'm planning on trashing icewarp in favor of afterlogic. Also going to use OpenFire+Spark for internal IM, which also has LDAP authentication and SSO capability. :)

I installed Zimbra for 450 users here where I work. It's absolutely wonderful... and free :)

the web interface is intuitive and the administration console makes life so simple. I would highly recommend it if you're looking for a quick and easy way to get a high powered mail server going. The amount of options you have and the ease of set up rival exchange in so many ways.

http://www.zimbra.com/

Back