MagicJack Vs. BOINC

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
9,053
I was curious if anyone in here tried using their MagicJack with a system running BOINC at 100% capacity? If so, did you notice your phone service quality degrade or did it run OK. What system specs were you running? I am debating getting a MagicJack and setting up a dedicated computer for it, but figured I would put it to more use then just a phone. I know I could just go buy one and experiment, but I wanted some user feedback first.
 
I would be shocked if Bonic effected it. Bonic does a great job of staying in the background.
 
I would think under a priority manager you'd be fine
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
shouldnt have any effect in performance.. BOINC does a good job at freeing up cpu resources when another program requires it..
 
If for some reason it does negatively effect it you can always go into preferences and limit CPU or RAM usage of the BOINC client or even just pause the client while you are on the phone. But like others have said I cant imagine that you would have many issues. :) Happy crunching!
 
also if need be set the magicjack software to high priority level..
 
I have both runing on a P4 2.8ghz (1GB RAM) and it DOES NOT affect the phone at all. So you should be perfectly fine
 
Thanks guys. I know BOINC doesn't interrupt my shows on the HTPC, but never tried MagicJack and I know that some people complained MagicJack used a bunch of resources when in use, but I don't know them personally and don't know how experienced with PC's they were. I think I will give it a shot. I wont use the phone much, which is why I wanted to run BOINC full throttle, but still wanted the phone to work without the hassle or changing settings each time. I don't plan on having a monitor, keyboard, or mouse on it. Logmein was gonna be my control method and just wanted to hook a phone or fax to it.
 
WCG, FreeHAL, Anansi on the system I am talking about, but I support almost all of them to some degree.
 
I HATE Magic Jack. Every time a start the stupid thing up, my PC will reboot in under a day. With nothing else different other than Magic Jack not running, it purrs like a kitten. I'm guessing it is some sort of Win 7 issue or 64 bit issue. It actually may have to do with the sound drivers since it complains about those constantly when it is running.

When it is running, F@H running full bore doesn't seem to affect it. I don't run Bionics, but I would think it would be similar.
 
Back
Top