Magic Mouse

morgrar

Limp Gawd
Anyone get one of these yet? I definitely want one from the announcements and the promo videos. I haven't been able to hit up an Apple store yet to get a feel for 'em myself.

I'm going to have to try one first, because Apple's track-record with mice has been poor at best. At least in my opinion.

Agreed, but this one looks promising. Thinking I might cruise by the local Apple Store this weekend and check them out...

I got one and I like what I can use of it. Just arrived a few minutes ago. The click and right click works just fine... too bad the scroll and gestures do not and I can't find any section to configure them. :(

Interesting take on the Magic Mouse from SA:

So after getting used to my Magic Mouse I really like it. I've found it works best if you turn the sensitivity up pretty high then just push it around with your fingertips instead of moving your wrist like a normal mouse. Once you get used to it, it's like the best things about a mouse and the best things about the new laptop track pads all in one.

I got one and I like what I can use of it. Just arrived a few minutes ago. The click and right click works just fine... too bad the scroll and gestures do not and I can't find any section to configure them. :(

did you install the wireless mouse software update? should have config settings after installing.

snow leopard 10.6.1:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/maco...elessmousesoftwareupdate10forsnowleopard.html

leopard 10.5.8:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/maco.../wirelessmousesoftwareupdate10forleopard.html

i'm just wondering why they didn't allow one finger tap for left click and two finger tap for right click as on the macbook pro track pads in addition to physical buttons?

Last edited:
I tried it out at the Apple store the other day. I decided to pass on it, as it is so low profile.. it feels like I am trying to mouse around with a deck of cards. It's too thin for my hands and "claw" style mouse grip. Neat idea though! :cool:

I saw one at BB the other day they do look small, but I love the multitouch on my macbook and find myself trying to use it on my pc laptop heh.

did you install the wireless mouse software update? should have config settings after installing.

snow leopard 10.6.1:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/maco...elessmousesoftwareupdate10forsnowleopard.html

leopard 10.5.8:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/maco.../wirelessmousesoftwareupdate10forleopard.html

i'm just wondering why they didn't allow one finger tap for left click and two finger tap for right click as on the macbook pro track pads in addition to physical buttons?

I had the update installed. I figured out what the issue was. Apparently (at least for now) you cannot have USB overdrive installed with the Magic Mouse and have use of its other features. Removed USB Overdrive and it worked just fine. I really love it. Very impressed. The only thing I wish was different is I wish they would let you do the flip back and forward with one finger. Would be much more natural and I use back forward a lot more than a horz scroll.

I disagree about apple having made poor quality mice. I had excellent luck with the apple magic mouse and the previous version.

I wonder if Apple will make appropriate Bootcamp drivers for it to use it in Windows. I doubt it.

I disagree about apple having made poor quality mice. I had excellent luck with the apple magic mouse and the previous version.

Quality has never been the problem; poor mouse design has traditionally been Apple's main hurdle. I have an old iMac "puck" mouse floating around - that thing's built like a tank, but you couldn't pay me to use it. LOL

I'm going to have to try one first, because Apple's track-record with mice has been poor at best. At least in my opinion.
Pretty much everyone agrees with you on this one. I even caught Leo Laporte giving Apple a hard time about their past mice last week.

Tried it today. Multitouch does not feel good on a typical plastic surface.
I guess that stands to reason. Glass would've been better, but I imagine mass producing molded glass reliably would be fairly tricky.

I wonder if Apple will make appropriate Bootcamp drivers for it to use it in Windows. I doubt it.
I hope so, but I too doubt they will.

After reading comments and reviews, I'm less excited about the mouse than when it was first announced. I really need to find the half hour and head to an Apple store to check it out for myself.

...then again, I have a MacBook Pro. Do I even need it? I might as well just use my trackpad and save the $69. That poses my next question - is it worth it to get it for a MBP, or only for desktops?

...then again, I have a MacBook Pro. Do I even need it? I might as well just use my trackpad and save the $69. That poses my next question - is it worth it to get it for a MBP, or only for desktops?

Only for desktops. There's really no need to get the MM for an Apple notebook. You already have the multitouch gestures built right in.

need to buy a new wireless mouse for my macbook pro when i'm hooked up to my external display at home.

i like the idea of bluetooth being no wires or dongles to hook up. Any better alternatives for cheaper?

I used one for a bit at an Apple store while using the new 27" iMac. I would say that I like the gesturing, and it feels good and intuitive. But my problem with it is still as stated above, that the mouse is just too small. If they would use Logitech ergonomics with Apple's technology, I would considering switching my MX Revolution for it.

I finally had a chance to check it out at an Apple store. While it looks cool, and seems to function alright, I can't imagine using it for more than 5 minutes. Then again, if I had an iMac, it'd be a must-have accessory, but not worth it for my MBP.

We got a bunch at work due to ordering a ton of the new iMacs. I personally hate it. Being a traditional PC gamer with the claw type grip, feels insanely weird and awkward due to the empty space.

I love my Magic Mouse.

I had a weird problem where I could not configure it right away either. After a reboot, I got it working perfectly.

The gestures are super convenient. At first I was kinda ticked that there was no back button, but then I realized swipe counts as that too.

What they should of done was just take the trackpad from the MBP, make it bigger, and put a cord on it, i would be on that in seconds.

I'm not such a big fan of trackpads, when I can avoid it. But I never did use the MBP trackpad either.

I'm pretty happy with my magic mouse though. I wish it had the zoom function, that would round the features off nicely.

the MBPs trackpad is amazing. The whole pad being a giant button so you can click anywhere, the 2,3,4 finger gestures and applications that take advantage of these have been huge for me. I would never go back to a mouse on this laptop again. If they put a cord on it and made some windows drivers i would replace my mouse at work as well.

Yeah I like this mouse a lot better than most mice I have used in the past. I wish they had proper drivers for it in Windows as well. I tried using it in Synergy to control my Windows PC so that I don't have two sets of keyboards floating around, but only the most basic functions work right.

Oh well, maybe in time. We can always hope I guess, lol.

hmm, tried this guy out today while picking up the new 2 battery bluetooth keyboard. Think the magic mouse is going on the XMAS list.

Has anyone tried one on a glossy/shiny surface (glass, highly reflective marble/granite, etc.)? I know it's a laser mouse, but wondering if it's like the new Logitech ones that work on highly-reflective surfaces.

Has anyone tried one on a glossy/shiny surface (glass, highly reflective marble/granite, etc.)? I know it's a laser mouse, but wondering if it's like the new Logitech ones that work on highly-reflective surfaces.

Not sure. I will say that I will probably be getting a mouse pad though, because the rubber or plastic or whatever the contact surface is, is very hard and it maeks kind of a grating sound on the surface of my desk that gets annoying.

I just got a Mac Mini. Other than this Magic Mouse, is there any other way to get multitouch on the Mini?

Try the new Wacom touch or pen&touch pads. I picked one of these up. While it is not as good as the trackpad on a macbook- it works pretty well- REALLY sensitive by default. Just my opinion.

I disagree. I like this mouse quite a bit. And I hated Apple quite a bit before I got this guy...

I'm not such a big fan of trackpads, when I can avoid it. But I never did use the MBP trackpad either.

I'm pretty happy with my magic mouse though. I wish it had the zoom function, that would round the features off nicely.

What kind of zoom do you mean? You can hold down control and scroll with it to scroll the screen right? Or do you mean like in an app like MS Word or Safari?

What kind of zoom do you mean? You can hold down control and scroll with it to scroll the screen right? Or do you mean like in an app like MS Word or Safari?

Like the two finger pinch zoom thing on pictures.

I have never really used it so I don't know what I am missing out on but I hear it's pretty slick.

I hope it doesn't suck like the mighty mouse I'm using right now.
The inability to click two buttons at once makes the mouse 90% worthless.

I hope it doesn't suck like the mighty mouse I'm using right now.
The inability to click two buttons at once makes the mouse 90% worthless.

What do you mean? Like right and left click or back and left click for example? I am just trying to find out why you would need that. I haven't come across that need yet. I can test it out if you'd like.

I can't imagine playing video games using my MBPro without an external mouse with dedicated left and right buttons.
Or heavy use of some productivity software.

I can't imagine playing video games using my MBPro without an external mouse with dedicated left and right buttons.
Or heavy use of some productivity software.

I really liked the magic mouse when i played with it, but i don't think i would like it at all for gaming. It's not as fast and i like a true wheel for switching weapons.

Back