Votes: 2 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • What is MAGFest?

Votes: 23 76.7%

• Total voters
I'm 21 and what is this? lol

What is MAGFest?
MAGFest is a video and computer gaming festival run by fans, for fans. It's similar to an anime or scifi convention, but aims to be more of a laid-back video game party. Nearly everything is open 24-hours. The show floors aren't crowded but still filled with lots of fan art, film and music. Our special guests fit right in and socialize with everyone. Game movies and cartoons are shown all weekend. In addition to our 10,000 square foot game room, lots of attendees set up games in their rooms and invite others inside.

Perhaps most importantly, MAGFest has a huge focus on game music -- multiple concerts' worth -- filled with video game music tributes, some even with the original composers! On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, multiple bands will perform on our main stage, and our JamSpace room is open 24 hours for collaborative music and special treats alike.

Hey guys! My name's nick and I help out with magfest. I found this thread, and thought I'd answer some of your questions!

First off, MAGFest is not related to sony's massive action game :p, and in fact, MAGFest has been around considerably longer. MAGFest is short for Music And Gaming Festival. It's an event that celebrates video games and video game music. Every year features live video game music cover bands, 24 hour gaming of all kinds (including 75+ arcade machines on free play), industry/fan guests, and all other kinds of activities. Another unique feature of magfest is the "Jamspace"; a second stage where there are provided instruments, and anyone is welcome to go up and play a solo piece, or form a band on the spot.

This will be the 8th magfest, and it's taking place on January 1-4,2010, right next to washington DC, and we even have a new years eve party too! The band lineup this year is amazing, and we've got some great guest speakers like sid meier and jon st. john (the voice of duke nukem).

The environment of magfest is kind of hard to describe. It's not a convention, it's not an expo, it's a party. Everything runs 24 hours, you meet a lot of great people, and all the guests co-mingle with everyone else. This'll be my 5th year attending, and I can't ever imagine missing it. It's really a great atmosphere that I have never seen anywhere else.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask, and I'll be glad to answer them. Also, check out our promo video! It's a parody of ventrilo harassment that the real duke nukem himself took part of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZnQxEhnsBc

I was asked to "loan" some networking gear to one of the first Magfests. It's been around for quite a while now, and while i have never been, i have heard good things about it.

Back