Made the Switch (DSL to Cable), possible to load balance the 2 together?

MATTRESS

Gawd
There's going to be about a month of overlap time where I will have Cable internet access AND DSL Internet Access.

I'm wondering, could i setup a routing box running windows 2000 server, with 3 nics?
NIC #1: Cable modem
NIC #2: DSL Modem
NIC #3: Uplink to switch

and then run a few computers off the switch to get a combined maximum bandwidth from the internet of about 4 almost 5 mbit? (Cable = 3.3mbit, DSL = 1.5mbit)

It all seems logical to me, but my only concern would be, CAN or HOW could you setup windows 2000 server to load balance? Could i just bridge the 2 modem nics together?

Thanks for any info!
-Matt

This should be in the networking forum...

It should be possible, I think you might have to use a Linux server to do that kind of load balancing (that's just what I've heard..)

yes there are routers that can do this... you can also run some *nix router and do this...

Yes you can do this, you have to "shotgun" them together

... you are right, you will need 3 NIC cards in a computer, if u have any knowledge of linux it would run much better...

NIC
1 - DSL \__ WAN
2 - CABLE /
3 - LAN

The hardest part is configuring the LAN card

first you will need to set up your LAN card to be a DHCP server (you will not be able to do this with "windows internet connection sharing" )

then you will have to set up your LAN card to use the Primary DNS servers from each service, DSL and CABLE, for the primary DNS server for your LAN card

note than when u are using a different computer, other than this one you're configuring, the ip address, the gateway, and the DNS servers would be the same if you were using an out of the box router

I hope this gave you some sort of start, I'm not really too keen on the specifics though.

Have fun!

i've tried using a linux distro in the past. it took me forever to actually install it. the only thing i ever got working was getting quake 2 to run :D

i'm too dumb to use linux ;)

what do you mean by shotgunning the modems together? Windows 2000 Server does have a DHCP service, and i would never use ICS ;)

i'm just trying to use the resources i have, that would be neat if i actually got this to work. I'll let you guys know if I get it running.

Thanks
-Matt

Back