Mad Spin

Papa-Ming

2[H]4U
Since I installed The Neo 480 PSU my HDD spins horribly at boot and does not calm down for a full two or three minutes, or longer, after XP loads. Little 40 gig 7200rpm Maxtor. It did not do this prior to Neo install, the PSU before was Antec 400 no True, Smart, just 400.

The good news is that the screws keep it from attaining an altitude of 40,000 feet in 10 minutes flat!

The drive runs solo on a line of it's very own, "cause there's lots of them. Shares nothing with any other device.

Checked everything, don't know. Have not seen this before. The thing was working flawlessly. It's bad. :(

If your previous power supply didn't die, hook it back up and see what happens. If it works OK then, sounds like the new pwr sply is bunk. If it continues to happen, the new supply could have done some damage. Another thing you could try would be use an old AT power supply that has a power switch so you can turn it on by itself w/o using the motherboard, and attach it to just the drive and see what happens. Then again the drive could have just gone bad at the same time due to Murphy, coincidence, etc. All in all the first thing I would do in that situation is back up the data though....

Thanks.

As a process of elimination, I'll try the old Antec as you suggest. I thought of that but I worked so hard doing the swap and routing the wires. And I will obviously not be happy if the older works better :(

Thank you

I hear that. You can cheat and just hook up the cables from the old pwr sply. No need to rip the new one out and mount the old one again. Just be careful not to short anything out :p

Back