Macy's Is Adding Virtual Reality to Nearly 100 Stores

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In what is described as the largest virtual reality rollout in retail history, Macy’s and Ohio-based Marxent is rolling out virtual reality to nearly 100 stores by January 2019. Courtesy of a virtual reality helmet, customers will be able to “browse and visualize a much larger assortment of furniture than can typically be held in a physical space.”

The technology was piloted in three stores, and Macy's claimed that virtual reality in stores reduced returns to less than 2 percent of orders. Those tests show that VR customers also purchase 60 percent more because customers more accurately visualize their space and add more furnishings.

Interesting. I think Ikea might have something similar? I recall trying out an augmented reality app from them - you could visualize their products in your room/office.

Macy's is still in business? They closed the store near me (OTOH, the mall it's attached to is in a death spiral... Collin Creek Mall in Plano)

Macy's is still in business? They closed the store near me (OTOH, the mall it's attached to is in a death spiral... Collin Creek Mall in Plano)
Doing better than Sears at least. :\

Great, so I can see a couch and a chair but I can't sit in it. How will I know if I can tolerate sitting on it for more than 5 minutes? It'll be like my wife's shoes - bought for looks, not comfort.

Yes, they are. Macy's is actually profitable. Typically profitable operations stay in business, just sayin'.

That being said, I'm not sure if adding VR is a good investment.

Back