MacWorld San Francisco Thread

Tutelary said:
Downloadable Keynote? Anyone? ... The stream is crap :(

Mine's runnin ok, I am updating my powerbook now and running it on windows though (/ducks :D )

Kadath said:
I ordered the Dual 1.83 with education discount, looking forward to my first mac.

One thing I was twisted on was upgrading to the 7200 hard disk, anyone have advice pro or con?

Sam

I'm considering the same model as well (first mac since college) and theres no way I wouldn't get the 7200 rpm model. Huge difference over the 5400.

swatbat said:
I think we need to get Kyle or Steve to try to review one of these or the new imac. I can just see Steve trying to water cool an imac. Come on Steve you know you want to be the first to do it........

Kyle is fucking nuts... He will be the first. I have faith. Go Kyle!

Loan for 3000$ will happen in Feb so I can Buy my Fully Loaded MacBook Pro

<3 you apple, you fcsking rock!!!!!

If someone finds an easy way to dual boot I am so buying one of these...

I already own Sibelius for windows, not relishing the idea of having to buy the mac version.

Did you notice that Steve Jobs negelected to mention that the Intel Core Duo doesn't support 64-bit?

nickcarr said:
Did you notice that Steve Jobs negelected to mention that the Intel Core Duo doesn't support 64-bit?
The two people who bought iMacs because they had 64-bit support will be heartbroken.

I thought I'd just share my thoughts as a reseller of Mac systems:

MacBook Pro: It's about damn time. Core Duo is the right way to go with the PowerBooks, considering most of the people I know who buy PowerBooks buy them (or used to buy them) are real power users who could use a boost for their multi-tasking. The X1600 with dual-link is an exceptional graphics solution, though I might have expected better. The I/O and the built-in iSight is cool, but I think some people might actually miss the fact that there is no longer FireWire 800 on the system. I doubt it's 4 times as fast as the G4, but I have no doubt that there will be a very noticeable speed increase, once again, mostly noticeable to power users. Nobody will really notice that Core Duo doesn't support 64-bit extensions, because, in Mac Land, the only reason to have a 64-bit processor is to address more than 4 GB of RAM (basically, for people who live and breathe Photoshop and Final Cut, and to operate Mac OS Server environment). Barely any of the programs available can really take advantage of 64-bit extensions for Mac OS, so it's a moot point if the processor can't handle it. PowerBooks will continue to sell for the freaks who are afraid of Intel, though, as I have already met several people who bought in the last few months who are afraid of the hardware changeover. What I find really stupid is that you can get a MacBook Pro 15" for the same price of a PowerBook 15".

iMac: I actually find this more interesting than the MacBook Pro, believe it or not. Essentially, the low end iMac is a high end MacBook, just with better storage capabilities and it costs a good $1200 less. You can't beat that with a stick. The fact that it has a mobile architecture inside of a SFF/all-in-one unit is even more intriguing (as a side note: RAM upgrades for the iMac require DDR2 PC5300 SODIMM's). Also, since this is the first system available at this time with Core Duo inside, I get the feeling that, if all goes well, the iMac will be the "golden standard" for Intel desktops that want to use Core Duo as well. We'll see when the first of them arrive in stock.

iLife '06: I'm glad that Apple believes that your computer should be the center of your "digital life" without going out of it's way to force itself into being the center of your digital life. Apple computers are becoming more media-centric, but by no means is it trying to be "Mac OS X Media Center Edition." The digital-content creation and management applications of iLife are just that: applications. They don't take over the whole OS like MCE does. You can choose which ones you use or not use them at all. My only problem with iLife at this point is the requirement for a .Mac account. I had .Mac when it was still free, and I paid for the first year of service for $49 because I was a beta user. I honestly didn't use it, and I got rid of it when my subscription was up. I know how to do all of the great things like podcasting and RSS and creating my own webspace without .Mac, but that's because I went out and learned how to. For those who want to take advantage of iLife to it's fullest extent, it means they have to have .Mac, and I find that to be rather annoying and selfish of Apple.

The rest of the keynote didn't hold anything else of particular importance to me, so I think that's it.

Thud said:
Still, multicore notebooks are the way of the future. Soon there will be other Core Duo notebooks out and we'll be able to do an apples-to-Apples comparison based on price.

No pun intended?

Im blown away by these machines, but I just bought a 12" iBook in december, so it wasnt like I could afford a MacBook Pro anyway.

Back