Mac's Bad Monitors?

gaer42

Limp Gawd
I bought a g5 with a 23 inch apple cinema monitor about 4 months ago. If any of you read the thread that I started then.. you will know that I had a problem with 3 (which turned out to be 15) dead pixels on my monitor.

They fixed the problem by RMA'ing the monitor and giving me a brand new one. Well I have had it for about 2 and 1/2 months... and as of yet I use it very little (still have to learn more)... anyway Last night I noticed 8 Dead Pixels in this new monitor.

Is there something wrong with their 23 inch cinema displays? or did I just get a bad draw on 2 monitors?

Has any one else had these problems?

I really like my mac.. but this monitor issue is really making me upset with them.

I think you got a bad draw my friend, I have 4, one from last March, September and two new ones now. All a ok ;)

Yea as far as I know they haven't had any major problems with the screens. Sounds like either the ups man doesn't like you or you have bad luck.

My experiences with Apple displays have been nothing but positive. I even have a 20" CRT that's over ten years old and still running just fine.

Luck of the draw...that is definitely too bad. Hopefully they'll see to it that you get it replaced.

So I took the monitor to the Mac store...(rubbing the pixels did not work).

The guy looked at it and could only find 1 bad pixel.... before I took it in I set the screen to black and counted every pixel and even drew them a diagram (as this was the 2nd time this has happened).

He claims that besides the 1 bad pixel in the 'MIDDLE' of the screen that the monitor is well with in working limits and that the monitor is not the problem.

He said that the problem is the video card and wants me to bring in the monitor and the system....

Has Anyone Heard of this? I have never heard of a video card causing dead pixels... at least not only on one system and not another.

They spec LCD panels from large LCD manufactures just like everyone else.

There is nothing special about an Apple display besides the plastic case (kinda like alot of MAc products now * ok ok its a cheap shot I know. ;)) so they are all going to be prone to the quality control issues everyone else has.

The bigger the panel, the higher the chance of dead pixels-

Which leads me to ask, If it took you 2.5 months to see these dead pixels, and you couldn't find them again without a DIAGRAM, then how big of a problem is it really?

Can you really see them during your ever day use?

Im just asking becuase exhcanging your monitor is a pain, and alot of stress, over something you might or might not even notice.

I know there is nothing special about Mac monitors, but I got it because I could cover that and my computer under the same apple care program instead of dealing with more than one retailer.

The reason I did not notice right away is that the Mac does not yet get the use that it will as I am still learning final cut pro and we are now in the middle of wedding season and the amount of editing that I have been doing (on my pc until I get the hang of the Mac) has not let me work with it as much.

The pixels on it are a big deal to me for 2 reasons.

1. I shoot a lot of horror films, which means that the images are going to be dark when I bring them over the the Mac. Editing a dark film with bright green and white pixels in the center of the screen will be extremely annoying.

2. I paid $1500 for the monitor alone... and bought the apple care... If I spend that money for something I want something that is not just workable... I want it to be good... excellent... at least for a year... that type of money should not be charged for something that will not be in pristine condition for at least 12 months, especially when there are other outlets on the market.

Am I wrong for wanting what I pay for...? I could have gotten the monitor for 700 + an additional 150 for a warranty. I instead chose Mac… Maybe that was my mistake…

I will say this though… besides the monitor issues I am extremely happy with my Mac purchase.

The Mac store (the same one I went to that said the monitor was fine and it was the video card) Replaced the monitor.

It turns out that the warmer the monitor got the worse the image got. The pixels went from 1 dead one on the right when we got there at 515 to 10 before we were going to leave at 550. The new one had 1 stuck pixel of blue and one of black.... the black one does not matter much as I work on dark screens for the most part. Well see what happens...

Is any one else having this problem? If you are not sure... make your screen completely black... change the background to black and look along your screen and see if you can see any discolored pixels... the most common colors for me were green, and blue... I did have a few white black and red ones but most were green or blue.

UPDATE:

My oldest 23" Cinema Display has 'issues'. When OS X is loading the 'grey' screen is pink tinged and my wallpaper which is a lighter shade of brown has a slightly noticeable 'greenish' border. I purchased the display just over a year ago. I'm probably going to sell it very soon for a good price-any takers? The tinge isn't noticeable once you're in OS X but when I'm doing colour proofing it 'irks' me haha.

Back