• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Machine will occassionally not post when turned on, suggestions?

OsageCowboy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
139
So, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this or not, but every now and then (like once every three times or so), my machine will not post after it's been turned on. I don't believe that it's a problem with the 8800 GTX (although I do NOT get video when this happens), but it could be attributed to my voltages or some other settings I suppose. I get no video, and the DVD Rom drive blinks, and the hard drive blinks, and my floppy light just stays on.

I have the machine on a slight overclock at 2.6 GHz, but I have the CPU at the minimal voltage settings and the FSB at the default 1.3v setting. Should I raise either of these settings or what do you think?

I really have no idea what is going on here, but other than the occassional start up non-posting (which is remedied by just turning the machine off and on), the machine is stable. Thoughts?
 
probably just the motherboard. nothing to worry about. my p5b-deluxe does this occasionally too when overclocked at settings that are 100% stable under any stress tests. fi your settings are fully stable under dual othos small ftts and blend test for 24 hours then its definitely the motherboard. unfortunately cold boots do happen from time to time.
 
yes, the system is PERFECTLY stable running orthos for 24 hours. I'm guessing it's just the motherboard, but am not entirely sure. It probably does it 1 out of 10 times I would guess.

I just hope it doesn't have a detrimental effect on my HD when doing this. I originally thought it was something with the 8800 GTX, which I originally had running dvi/hdmi, but I switched it to VGA into my TV and had no problems for a while.

It's just done this recently again, and I'm wondering what the root cause is. Perhaps the RAM (which is slightly overclocked as well) occassionally does not boot, I dunno, but even where the RAM had a problem, I would presume I would get a video signal at the very least. Again, the DVD drive will blink, the hard drive will blink, but no visible posting. If it is just a cold boot problem with no detrimental effects on the HD, then I'm fine with it; but if it's something more, I'd appreciate any insights you guys have.
 
I had the same problem and it turned out I had to take my Hyper Transport off of Auto and put it on 3x, you obviously can't do that seeing as you have a C2D, but does Intel have something similar? That's all it took to fix mine, so before you go RMAing (like I did) just play around with some of the options.
 
I'm not sure if Intel has something similar, but I'd love to hear thoughts from other posters on this...is speedstepping similar? I may have that tured off already....
 
I'm not sure if Intel has something similar, but I'd love to hear thoughts from other posters on this...is speedstepping similar? I may have that tured off already....


no there is no equivalent. what FSB are you running?could be boot strap. btw it will definitely not damage your hardrives.
 
well the FSB is running at default 1.3v, and is set at 416 mHZ I believe, to get me up to the 2.6 GHZ minimal overclock and the RAM runs slightly overclocked at 833 mHZ.

Should I adjust the FSB voltage upward, is the "boot strap" an adjustable setting in the BIOS?
 
my Asus A8N32-SLI does something similar every 10 reboots or so - It posts fine, but just before the OS should start loading, it stops with a blinking underscore cursor at the top left... I have to shut it off, wait a few seconds then turn it back on. Otherwise it's rock solid
 
what is this "Boot Strap" feature? does it have anything to do with my aforementioned voltages or FSB speed, and can it be adjusted in the BIOS?

That's interesting that your machine does that...I don't even know if that qualifies as not posting; I can't even get video on mine in about 1 of 10 boots, but if it doesn't hurt the HDs, it isn't a big deal. I just wonder about the boot strap deal.
 
Back
Top