Machine is Power Cycling Itself?

My PC has been power cycling itself at random times. It doesn't act like a reboot, it acts like I have pushed a hardware reset button, the tower goes dark for a few seconds (all the LEDs and fans go down), then the computer comes up to the booting POST screen.

I thought the PSU might be going bad, so I bought a new one. All was well for several days, until about 10 minutes ago....

What are the possible culprits here? It doesn't seem to be happening when I'm putting any kind of load on it - temps seem normal - usages seem normal.

Any troubleshooting steps or help is greatly appreciated..... Thanks! :confused:

I'd try removing your current Overclock to see if that changes anything (assuming the machine is the one in your sig)

Do you have another video card to try? I'd have to say it's time to strip the box to the minimum required to POST and operate for testing (min RAM, no opticals, only a boot drive, known good VGA, etc) and then see if the issue persists. Unfortunately, as with any intermittent problem, you're kinda stuck with a shitty scenario until/unless you're able to narrow down the source of failure.

I'll have to see if I can scrounge a tester card, this x58 platform didn't come with integrated video...

Actually since you mention this, yesterday I had a display driver crash and recovery that turned all my windows blank. It was kind of a one off event but I wonder if this points to the video card.

Thanks...

You could check your system event viewer to see if there's been a string of errors related to the VGA as well.

Memtest ran good over night no errors.

Furmark for an hour and a half ran fine no issues.

All hard drives test out with no errors.

I rolled the GPU drivers back to a previous version.

Been a couple days with no restarts, I guess it's just wait and see. Thanks for the advice.

Just happened again loading up a webpage.

This is registered in the Windows log... I guess I need to try a UPS...

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I left the PC on for 72 hours - no reboots. It only seems to happen when I am using it - this time I was just loading a page in Firefox. But the random issue is the most frustrating cause just when you think you have described it - something else will happen!!!

Last edited:
Intermittent issues are always the worst. :(

Since it's power related I can really only recommend power-related troubleshooting at the moment.

Start at the wall and work your way out. Replace the power strip, replace the power cable you're using between the strip and the PSU. You replaced the PSU, so I'd say it may be good to go through and carefully unplug, check all plugs, then re-plug everything. Particularly your 24v and 12v mobo links.

Your idea to add a UPS may be a good idea as well. I know the power in my house is a long ways from consistent, and when I had a UPS it would absorb those blinks and such a lot better than my PSU on its own (which reminds me, I need a new UPS!)

Last edited:
Are the led fans plugged into the motherboard? If so I bet it is the motherboard. You could also have a short in the reset switch on your case, try disconnecting that plug. I have been having issues with my i7-970 system where after about 45 minutes of being powered off or in sleep, I have to power cycle 2-3 times to get it to post, won't wake from sleep either. I am fairly certain that it is a mobo issue as I have replaced the PSU and no change.

Ok I replaced the power cord - I actually recycled this from the old PSU - now using a new one, plugged into a new socket on the surge protector.

The LEDs comment made me think. No, they are not plugged into the MOBO. The LEDs are on fans that are using molex power directly from the PSU. So by the same logic, this might point to the problem NOT being the MOBO?

Good point on the reset button, I lifted the wires for the reset button.

I'll continue to monitor, thanks for all the suggestions!

Yeah, with behavior like that I would either buy a new surge supressor or go all-out and get a UPS.

About 3 days since I lifted the reset button wires. Seems weird to me if this fixes the problem. I am hopeful. Probably call it a success if I can make it a week!!

About 3 days since I lifted the reset button wires. Seems weird to me if this fixes the problem. I am hopeful. Probably call it a success if I can make it a week!!

I had serious issues with my HTPC case shorting the reset button because of static electricity. I wound up solving it by running several ground wires from the case's front faceplate to the chassis and the PSU. I wonder if you're in the same bag.

That's awesome bro!

It nuts some of the off the wall issues we can run into eh?

Excellent troubleshooting! Not enough ground causing the reset to trigger. Who would've thought?

Big sigh. :(

I went six days without a power cycle with the computer on 24 hours a day.

Found one in the log from last night after I went to sleep.

Power cord was replaced and reset button disconnected. New PSU installed. Connections checked. Ram has been tested. Temperatures are rock stable.

I haven't done the UPS yet because my battery is dead.

I'll be picking up a new surge protector and ordering a battery for my UPS.

Can the power button be shorted in the same way the reset button can?

The search continues.

Thanks for listening.

Big sigh. :(

I went six days without a power cycle with the computer on 24 hours a day.

Found one in the log from last night after I went to sleep.

Power cord was replaced and reset button disconnected. New PSU installed. Connections checked. Ram has been tested. Temperatures are rock stable.

I haven't done the UPS yet because my battery is dead.

I'll be picking up a new surge protector and ordering a battery for my UPS.

Can the power button be shorted in the same way the reset button can?

The search continues.

Thanks for listening.

Damn, dude. I been watching your thread hoping not to see this. What's the static electricity situation like in your house? I know here in Colorado during the winter that the static discharge issue is insane. I have to ground myself every couple steps in the building I work in and I get to see a visible arc every time I put my key up to the door lock. If you live somewhere with low humidity during the cold months, it may be time to look into something like a grounding mat for your PC or even your entire desk situation.

Anecdote time: My HTPC would start to do weird shit like reset on its own, or the audio would start to slowly "destroy itself" into a crackly mess until I would walk up and touch the chassis, which would just cause it to reset again. I was really afraid I was going to toast the machine with that shit. I solved it by running some tip-stripped wires cut from a dead PSU between the front metal plate and the chassis, as well as the chassis of the PSU. After that having done that, I can touch the plate on my HTPC and see the visible static arc hit it, with no effect on the PC.

Damn, dude. I been watching your thread hoping not to see this. What's the static electricity situation like in your house? I know here in Colorado during the winter that the static discharge issue is insane. I have to ground myself every couple steps in the building I work in and I get to see a visible arc every time I put my key up to the door lock. If you live somewhere with low humidity during the cold months, it may be time to look into something like a grounding mat for your PC or even your entire desk situation.

Anecdote time: My HTPC would start to do weird shit like reset on its own, or the audio would start to slowly "destroy itself" into a crackly mess until I would walk up and touch the chassis, which would just cause it to reset again. I was really afraid I was going to toast the machine with that shit. I solved it by running some tip-stripped wires cut from a dead PSU between the front metal plate and the chassis, as well as the chassis of the PSU. After that having done that, I can touch the plate on my HTPC and see the visible static arc hit it, with no effect on the PC.

You need to get a humidifier for the house. I have the same problem here in Rochester, NY where it's very, very dry in the winter. One way to keep yourself un-staticy is to spray some water on yourself or just use a humidifier.

I don't really have much static problems in the house, really nothing like you describe.

I found a post on another forum with a similar issue. I disabled the AMD audio driver on my system, leaving only the high def audio driver enabled. Long shots all at this point.

It goes without saying that you've tried formatting the machine to eliminate software issues right??

I have not been seeing BSOD with these system resets, but I downloaded the Nirsoft bluescreenview utility and this coincided with the reset last night while I was asleep:

==================================================
Dump File : 020715-15187-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2/7/2015 12:50:42 AM
Bug Check String : UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Bug Check Code : 0x0000007f
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000008
Parameter 2 : fffff801`ae9cae70
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 4 : fffff801`ace49fa8
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+150aa0
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.3.9600.17476 (winblue_r5.141029-1500)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+150aa0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020715-15187-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 9600
Dump File Size : 274,832
Dump File Time : 2/7/2015 12:52:09 AM
==================================================

It goes without saying that you've tried formatting the machine to eliminate software issues right??

Bump this.

Also, I spent a good 20 minutes researching the error code you posted. If you ram has
passed memtest and gfx card has passed furmark, then it boils down to either drivers
or your motherboard.

If you haven't tried a format yet, I'd say now is the time. (I know it sucks but you're running out of options)

Thanks a lot for spending the time to help me. No, I have not tried the format. Yes, I will do this next. :) Going out of town for a few days, so I will bump back on the thread after I have tried the reformat.

Thanks, I really do appreciate everyone helping me here!!!

Just to close out this thread for future reference, I wanted to make note that I have determined the issue was Windows/OS related by ditching Windows on the system and running Ubuntu.

Thanks for pushing me to take the OS out of the equation in previous posts.

Back