Machine check errors

AgrFan

[H]ard DCOTM x2
I'm getting machine check errors and random reboots on a old AMD Sempron 3000+ box that serves as our family computer. I cleaned out the heatsink and case thinking that was the problem but it rebooted again today with the same errors. CPU temp is 47C at 100% load. No overclocking. It's been running a single FAH client and WCG for the past couple of years with no problems.

Time to put it out to pasture?

Not sure which of my other PCs to dedicate as the family computer ... E5200 or Athlon II 640?

its a voltage issue. due to the age and usage on the mosfets your probably going to need more voltage to keep it stable. is that a socket A or socket 754 sempron 3000+?

The PSU could also be about to kick the bucket.

It's definitely possible the PSU is starting to go bad. How do these voltages look? 3.3v and 12v seem a little bit low. Socket A boards use 3.3v primarily?

Hardware monitor Winbond W83697HF
Voltage 0 1.60 Volts [0x64] (CPU VCore)
Voltage 1 3.28 Volts [0xCD] (AUX)
Voltage 2 2.93 Volts [0xB7] (+3.3V) <==
Voltage 3 5.08 Volts [0xBD] (+5V)
Voltage 4 11.67 Volts [0xC0] (+12V) <==
Temperature 0 32°C (89°F) [0x20] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 49°C (119°F) [0x61] (TMPIN1)
Fan 0 1298 RPM [0x82] (FANIN0)
Fan 1 3924 RPM [0x56] (FANIN1)

I would get MCE errors about 6 months before my mobo died, it started getting flaky and would not boot first time, and once in windows now and then I would get the MCE that pointed to a hardware fault.

Eventually the bastarding thing refused to boot ever again.

I suspected the nf4 chipset had died as the fan on it would constantly fail and I just got pissed off replacing it every 6 months, so after about the 6th time of replacing it, I didnt anymore, so I suspect the nf4 chipset just burnt out on me, either that or it was somethign else on the mobo, as I got a new mobo and all the hardware that was on the pc previously still worked, so it was def a mobo issue.

yeah those chipsets sucked. once the fan dies on them they are toast. also had the same problem with an old sayo socket A board. fan died on the chipset and not even 15 seconds later the entire thing powered down and refused to turn on again even after putting a new fan on the chipset.

SiS 741GX chipset on the board. No fans to die and burn it up.

The power supply voltages look ok, but when they cause faults its usually from transient spikes or dropouts which happen too fast for a software monitor to see.

Also,
SiS chipset were often on budget boards, which also can have those plague capacitors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague maybe some of them are giving up the ghost.

SiS 741GX chipset on the board. No fans to die and burn it up.

Moral of the story wasnt the fact that the fan died and killed the chipset, the moral was, over time even witht he fan working the chipset would of probably died anyway, as certain chipsets run hot as fuck and are really only designed to last a few years, so even with a heatsink on the chipset or wherever, the thing could still burn up and die on you simply because over time all electrical things suffer from electromigration, i.e electricity and heat cause them to die.

Back