Mach1 for gpu....

centvalny

2[H]4U
I need some info about using mach1 to cool a gpu. Mounting issue and temp. etc. Also, stock or mod. Thanks and merry xmas..... :D

centvalny said:
I need some info about using mach1 to cool a gpu. Mounting issue and temp. etc. Also, stock or mod. Thanks and merry xmas..... :D

I've been looking around for mounting methods for the last while and keep coming up short.

My dream setup right now if I had a dedicated benchmark machine would be a PC70 with a single stage phase change setup mounted under the case, and have no soundcard so the hole coudl be directly under the GPU......and then have a second Vapo or whatever else mounted in teh top of the case above the PSU for the CPU.

It should would be fun, but $1500 on cooling is a tad out of my reach....for now. ;)

I'll be sure to let you know if I can find out how most peeps are mounting their Vapor units on their GPU's.

James Earl Ray said:
Man, things are getting crazy around here now! :D

Hehe, better believe it.......man, my Visa I'm getting is "only" starting out at $1000.....but if I work at it for awhile I might be able to end up with two phase change setups in my comp later this year....of course, the comp would NOT be mobile. ;) :p

EDIT: Only thing is that tha'ts an ASS load of power I'd be usin'.......ppl on XS have found that a 1500VA APC is one of the only UPS' that can handle having a PS setup and something like an FX-55 comp running off it......as with an FX-55 at 3.3GHz or so and a Vapo both on the APC, it was monitoring about a total of 645W usage between teh two....think of adding a second PS. :eek:

That's my thread :D
Edit: With APC 1500VA now I don't have to worry with voltage fluctuations. Only Vapo and psu(comp) hooked up. Monitor(load sucking 22'crt), speakers etc. on separate line.

My 1500VA APC can keep my 19" LCD, Vapochill LS, and FX-53 machine running for 12 minutes when the power goes out. That's pretty good, me thinks.

centvalny said:
That's my thread :D
Edit: With APC 1500VA now I don't have to worry with voltage fluctuations.

Really? Guess I didn't notice......cool stuff, what'd it set you back? :p

Protoform-X said:
My 1500VA APC can keep my 19" LCD, Vapochill LS, and FX-53 machine running for 12 minutes when the power goes out. That's pretty good, me thinks.
I'm not worry with saving files etc. The only think is at high oc acpower fluctuation can kills, especially winter when my local utility co. can't be trust... :(

centvalny said:
I'm not worry with saving files etc. The only think is at high oc acpower fluctuation can kills, especially winter when my local utility co. can't be trust... :(

Haha, I hear ya.....and my area has HORRIBLE power....the lights in my room fricken dim for a split second when my brother turns on the 32" TV in teh other room....its SOOOOO bad.

I think the APC should actually be in my future, what'd you pay for your 1500VA?

cornelious0_0 said:
Really? Guess I didn't notice......cool stuff, what'd it set you back? :p
Overload with Belkin 1200VA
belkin1.JPG

And this is with APC1500VA. Load wattages can reach 650Watts+ at 3.38Ghz benched with vapo
apc2-1.JPG

Edit: $199......

Good lord man......its nice to see those screenies again....and $199 USD aint that bad at all.....maybe I should pick up that 1500VA APC first off and get it done with. :D

thx

centvalny said:
Back to post......anyone with phase on gpu?

You could always end up being (one of) the first around here, 'cus I really haven't seen that many ppl doin' it......not a lot of folks are up to dropping $700+ on their video card cooling. :p

We'll see, if I can get this job I'm looking at I'll be making twice as much as I am now, and I'll stay in teh game for sure.....and see what I can do about setting up a dual Vapo setup with my 3.4E at 4.7GHz or so and the XT-PE hitting well over 700MHz. :D

By June I should be running dual Vapo's. And maybe a dual core FX-? But I want to see how ATI counters SLI first. :D

James Earl Ray said:
By June I should be running dual Vapo's. And maybe a dual core FX-? But I want to see how ATI counters SLI first. :D

If I can get this job I'm looking at (already applied and got called on it, but was already working) pretty soon I should also be running dual Vapo's by June, and hey, my 20th birthday is June 23rd.....what a birfthday gift eh? To myself.....from myself of course. ;) :p

Of course I'm going to be tempted to stick with Intel, just to be different and go "against" the rest of you guys. ;)

Ok, I ran 3dmark 01 at 3.37Ghz/1.75V and vapo with fans on 100%/heaters 50%, vapos evap.temp. dipped from -50C to -34C and tried to back up from there(it was at lobby high). It was too late, it just reseted to windows. Tried a few times w/ same results. I think that was the limit :( . I will try with heaters on 10% or 0, probly this will help....

James Earl Ray said:
Ill have first hand info, If Fedex ever shows up with my rad!!! I am tempted to set it up now with my DTek. :D
Set it up.....you can change rad later... :D

I have no place to put the 120mm rad in the case without cutting. Thats why I want to try the BIM rad first. Plus to quote and old pal that would be a "Vulgar display of power" Hehe! :D

James Earl Ray said:
I have no place to put the 120mm rad in the case without cutting. Thats why I want to try the BIM rad first.

Makes sense I guess.....I will admit, a dual fan BIM would fit in my Lian-Li a lot better too, so it'd be interesting to see how it does....just out of curiousities sake.

All that you need to do is send the unit to Chilly1, PC_ICE, Baker, or Bowman and have them put a mount kit on it. They all have similiar mounting systems, and all will work very well. Prices vary, so I can't quote them.

If you are getting a MachI, I would suggest having them re-gas the unit with r404a or r507, and put a different block on it. It will function much better, and recover alot faster.

Overall its easy to setup a MachI for GPU cooling. Insulating a gpu card is a bit trickier than a CPU, as you'll need your own way of stopping condensation. Anyone who has dealt with a Vapo or any other PS system before will do fine.

VO_Nuclear said:
All that you need to do is send the unit to Chilly1, PC_ICE, Baker, or Bowman and have them put a mount kit on it. They all have similiar mounting systems, and all will work very well. Prices vary, so I can't quote them.

If you are getting a MachI, I would suggest having them re-gas the unit with r404a or r507, and put a different block on it. It will function much better, and recover alot faster.

Overall its easy to setup a MachI for GPU cooling. Insulating a gpu card is a bit trickier than a CPU, as you'll need your own way of stopping condensation. Anyone who has dealt with a Vapo or any other PS system before will do fine.
Thanks for the info. Preppin the vc is not gonna be a problem...we all aware that condensation is enemy #1 ;)
I have to find info about mounting and regassing/tuned up for gpu... if neccessary.

I really don't know of any "how-to" links for GPUs right now. If you look thru XS or XR, I'm sure you will find a few threads dealing with the subject.

Regassing the MachI isn't necessary for a GPU, but it would surely help. A Baker or Chilly block would make a big difference, espcially running r507 :D With the regassing and all, you'd need to change the cap tube and probaly re-adjust with the sensors and control board.

What I want to find out here is how much it might cost to GET a MachI regassed with r404 or 507....because the MachI ST for example runs r134 but is almost $500 cheaper then the Vapo LS for me to buy new.....and I'd rather save some cash if I can.

cornelious0_0 said:
What I want to find out here is how much it might cost to GET a MachI regassed with r404 or 507....because the MachI ST for example runs r134 but is almost $500 cheaper then the Vapo LS for me to buy new.....and I'd rather save some cash if I can.
That is a smart way to save :D Definitely, i need that info too...

Sry, I meant MachII ST back there, but everything else still stands.....it's a HUGE price difference based on different refridgerants and frilly extras......but in terms of raw performance it has to be cheaper to just get the ST regassed I'm thinkin'.

To have a MachI re-gassed and re-tuned is around or slightly above $200 from someone like Bowman or Baker. I'm not sure about the other guys, but I would bet it's close in price. The mounting system and config would add to the price, but I'm not sure how much.

In the end, the price ends up being about the same. You buy a MachI for $500, pay shipping and all to you. Then you pay at least $200 to have it re-gassed and then shipping to and from again. All of the shipping, boxing, actual cost, etc.. easily add up to a LS or GT.

The canadian guys may want to find a refigeration shop around that can re-gas the unit. It may be cheaper, and you won't have to pay shipping. You'll have to create your own mounting system though.

VO_Nuclear said:
To have a MachI re-gassed and re-tuned is around or slightly above $200 from someone like Bowman or Baker. I'm not sure about the other guys, but I would bet it's close in price. The mounting system and config would add to the price, but I'm not sure how much.

In the end, the price ends up being about the same. You buy a MachI for $500, pay shipping and all to you. Then you pay at least $200 to have it re-gassed and then shipping to and from again. All of the shipping, boxing, actual cost, etc.. easily add up to a LS or GT.

The canadian guys may want to find a refigeration shop around that can re-gas the unit. It may be cheaper, and you won't have to pay shipping. You'll have to create your own mounting system though.

I suppose you're right....in terms of the regassing I'd be better off just saving myself the time and buying an LS.....but I'd still need the mounting done for the VGA, so there'd still be a LITTLE bit of extra cost, just not to the same extent.

What I need actually a mach1 and modified the mounting to fit...got that. Can it sustains minimum raise on evaporator temp if mounted on xtpe with heavy oc?? Without regassed
ie: Vapo ls evap. temp upped to -42/39C from -53C under load from fx55 at 3.35Ghz/1.75V, more than that it will reboot.....

centvalny said:
What I need actually a mach1 and modified the mounting to fit...got that. Can it sustains minimum raise on evaporator temp if mounted on xtpe with heavy oc?? Without regassed
ie: Vapo ls evap. temp upped to -42/39C from -53C under load from fx55 at 3.35Ghz/1.75V, more than that it will reboot.....

I would think it would be alright, I realise that the LS is running r507 and the Mach I is (I think) using r134.....but you should be fine. I look at my setup for example.....under load, my XT-PE @ 1.85v and my 3.4E at 1.53v both get up to about the same load temp.....about 42C.....and while this isn't AS contrete information/evidence as you'd like.....its something. :p

cornelious0_0 said:
I would think it would be alright, I realise that the LS is running r507 and the Mach I is (I think) using r134.....but you should be fine. I look at my setup for example.....under load, my XT-PE @ 1.85v and my 3.4E at 1.53v both get up to about the same load temp.....about 42C.....and while this isn't AS contrete information/evidence as you'd like.....its something. :p
Thanks. How you can set or find out the gpu voltage? is it through agpV in bios?

centvalny said:
Thanks. How you can set or find out the gpu voltage? is it through agpV in bios?

Part 1: Measuring your GPU voltage

With our X800's it's really easy.....

(have a multimeter on hand)

The measuring point for the vGPU on these cards is actually pretty easy to find. Near the end of the card by back of the case, there is what looks like the but end of a screw sticking up through the backplate of the card, you can use that "screw" for your ground. The measuring point is nearby.....almost directly next to that screw-end is a row of little "dots" or "circles". One of them is silver/metal and the others aren't, this silver circle is the measuring point for your cards voltage.

Stock should be around 1.4v.....mine was at 1.38v so don't worry if it's a little low at first.

Part 2: Increasing your GPU voltage

This is a little tricky, but not too bad. If you continue further down the edge of the card from the vGPU measuring point you'll come across a chip with a lot of legs on it, surrounded by small resistors.....its one of these resisitors that we get to play with. Find the resistor labeled R1597 first off. What you're going to have to do is grab a 2HB pencil, sharpen it, and go back and forth a few times over the edge of the resistor.....essentially using the graphite to lower resistance between the two points and increase the cores voltage. Be carefull, because depending on specifically where you apply the pencil and how hard you push, the voltage might increase quite quickly. It's a good idea to go back and forth a few times and then stop and power the computer back on, and immediately checking your GPU voltage again.

Initially you can try raising it from 1.4v up to 1.5v or 1.6v 'cus I know you've got it on watercooling. It's up to you if you want to go slow with this and cataloge your results at different voltages, but even with my 3.4E on the same water (just before the card actually) my load temp at 1.85v is only about 42C or so....which isn't bad.

Ask me or James if you've got any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

You are running your X800 at 1.85v on just water Corn? That's a bit much don't you think :D

The MachI would be okay with the stock r134, but it would have a slow recover time and eventually heat up. It would be good to use until you could afford new gas and a tune-up.

Also: You may wanna check out XS classifieds every once in a while. You can usually pick up a used MachI or custom unit for pretty cheap.

James Earl Ray said:
1.85 is fine for water. Come on and do it already!! :D

I agree, hell.....it was fun to just jump into things not knowing what to expect. ;) :D

I would like to try more then 1.85v, but soon after that the OVP starts to kick in, and I'd have to redo the OVP mod.....that and the card becomes less and less forgiving in the temperature department once your voltages and clock rates start scaling that high.

Good luck.

THey should make some unit jsut for this. I would drop the $ on it. I already have around $850 into my XT/PE. I would not mind getting rid of the TEC and using some sort of Pahse change on it.

Back