Macbook wireless issues

FearTheCow

Supreme [H]ardness
Greetings, the wife has a 2 year old Macbook that has problems staying connected to our home network. She believes it has something to do with my computer being on and will swear up and down that her connection goes downhill when I power on my computer. Conversely, she says if I shut my computer down her connection gets better.

Router - Linksys WRT160N running DD-WRT v24-sp2 std nokaid-small
Security settings - WPA2 Personal, TKIP+AES
Connected devices - My PC (Ethernet), Blu-ray player (Ethernet), Macbook (wireless)

Any and all help is welcome and appreciated!

How often do you power cycle the computer? Can you try turning it on and off at various times during the day (if it's just going on and off at the morning/before bed then that's not enough data to draw a good conclusion). How about after work? What times is she trying to connect?

With her turning my computer off when I am not around it gets turned off just about daily and at random times. Her schedule means she connects at different times depending on the day of the week. Another piece of info, we live in an apartment and the router detects 10 other networks nearby. Thank you for the help.

10 networks, and only 3 non-overlapping channels. It's probably going to be interference, especially 5pm to 10pm or so when people are home from work.

Try removing the connection's in Keychain and re-making them. Your firmware updates are up-to-date on the routers right ?

Have you trie changing the default channel on the Router too ?

The problem is the first word in the title of the thread.

Half the support calls I get are from people with MBs or MBPs whining how they can't pick up wireless signal when they have an AP in the same f'ing room as them.

She can see the network, and can connect to it with supposed full strength (according to her laptop), but the connection randomly drops and she has to go up to the little wireless signal and click on our network (even though it is still supposedly connected) and hit connect. Any ideas on why this happens? I have searched google and made recommended changes to the routers settings with no effect. I really am getting desperate, and an FYI, I already tried telling her its what she gets for buying a mac and they do not "just work".

The problem is the first word in the title of the thread.

Half the support calls I get are from people with MBs or MBPs whining how they can't pick up wireless signal when they have an AP in the same f'ing room as them.

Must be your luck, I have never had any issues with any of the 20 laptops ( apple ) that I have had.

Uhh, I would confirm that her wireless signal gets worse when your pc is on. I can't tell you how many BS requests I get daily that contain bad information wich are not help to the problem....

Back