Macbook went to sleep, woke up with a drained battery

shiek

Limp Gawd
So i stepped away from my Core2Duo macbook for long enough that it went to sleep automatically. When i returned to it, i tried to turn it on, however, it wouldn't budge. i picked it up to take it to the power connector in another room and i noticed that the processor area was rather hot, almost like the processor was being utilized.

After plugging it in the power, i turned it on and the macbook recovered from its sleep mode and the battery was at 1%. When it went to sleep it was at about 50%.

Now my question is, what could have caused this drain? Can a process still run while the macbook goes to sleep? what do you guys think?

thanks,

Are you sure it actually slept? Sometimes my MBP doesn't actually sleep when I close it (the LCD just turns off, but the fans still run). I'm not sure what causes it, since it happens so rarely, but a reboot fixes it.

i have this issue often. I put the macbook to sleep, but it has some sort of kernel panic or someothing, and the processor gets really hot and the fans run at max until the battery dies.
A reset fixes it, but I don't know why it happens.

i suppose ill just have to keep my eye on it. any activity monitor logs i can pull from it if this happens again?

I found that if you move the computer after closing the lid sometimes it won't entirely go to sleep. Maybe it has something with the sudden motion sensor? I don't know. But if I just watch it and make sure the light on the front goes into it's pulsing state before moving it, that means that it's sleeping and everything's good.

Be glad your battery didn't die completely. Mine lost it's charge and wouldn't even come back to life!

Windows, or OS X? on my MBP I never have problems for it falling asleep in Mac OS X, but whenever in windows eventhou its set up properly, it seems if it gets moved even lightly, the motiuon sensor sets it off and out of sleep again (keeping the display off till I open it it, but the cpu and etc still running and getting hot)

Back