• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Macbook Pro vs. Mac Pro

brownkk

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
103
Hey guys, i mite be picking up a new computer soon and i wont be replacing it for at least 3 years. I know with the Mac Pro i have some flexibility to changing parts down the road but will the macbook pro have the power to run games such as bf2142? Im llooking more at the macbook pro instead of the mac pro because of the portability since ill probably have to move the computer around.

Thank You
Feel free to say which one i should chose!

Thanks again

Edit: will it run Final Cut Pro HD?
 
I own both machines, brown, but am not a gamer so can't vouch for how well either will run your game. However, if I had to go with one or the other, I'd go with the Mac Pro (mobility and portability aren't really issues for me). As you mentioned, you'll have more flexibility down the road and lots will change over the next three years.

From the Apple site regarding Final Cut Pro:

Minimum system requirements to install all Final Cut Studio applications

• A Macintosh computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor.
• 1GB of RAM
• An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)
• A display with 1024-by-768 resolution or higher
• Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
• QuickTime 7.1.6 or later
• A DVD drive for installation
Recommended Configurations

The following are recommended for all applications:

• 2GB of RAM when working with compressed HD and uncompressed SD sources
• 4GB of RAM when working with uncompressed HD sources
 
I'm not sure how different is BF2142 from BF2, but I can tell you that I can definitely run BF2 at 1440x900(native resolution) with all medium settings(and 2x AA I think) at a VERY playable frame rate.(40+)
 
I play Source games at 1440x900 and on my 1680x1050 monitor. Frames are pretty solid around 45-50 for both. BF2 usually plays around 40 frames, it lagged a little but I think it may have been due to latency. Haven't played much else on it. Haven't used Final Cut either.
 
The GPU's in both are dated - its hard to recommend either at this point. They should have been updated months ago. I can only assume this will not be an issue in a few weeks, after the update.
 
k..thanx for your input..ill wait till the update and see what comes out of it..if the mac gets the mobile HD2600 (i think thats wht its called) can it play crysis via bootcamp?
 
I believe so, I think the HD2600 should be the minimum requiremends for Crysis -- but it'd be smarter to wait until the card is out -- for benchmarks.

I used to play Call of Duty 2 at the highest resolutions my MBP 15" could support. It ran fine. Core Duo 2.16ghz w/ 2gb ram. X1600 ATi I believe was the gpu.
 
Back
Top