macbook pro multiple monitors

contitego

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
173
I have a Macbook pro mid 2011. I have thunderbolt on it. I am thinking about doing a dual monitor display using either two 23" or two 21".

I was looking at a Matrox Dual Head to power the two displays.

Here is the product on Amazon, and Newegg:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OV818I/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=6063461727&ref=pd_sl_4ey5qa5g53_b

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815106015

Has anyone used this model, and how well does it work to have two separate displays? I have read that the menu bar spreads across both, is this true?

Thanks.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wouldn't expect to run Thunderbolt down through VGA and get very good results.

It says max resolution is 2560x1024 (1280x1024) x2. It wouldn't even drive two newer 21s or 23s at native resolution. 2 screens at 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 would be way outside the max.

It looks like there is a "digital" edition and a displayport version, if you really want to do this I'd go with the displayport one - max 3840x1200 (1920x1200) x2.
Though it seems to me you could get into a 27" running 2560x1440 (HP zr2740w) for not much more $ and less hassle....
 
All the solutions I have seen are pretty bad. The matrox is an extended desktop, and the diamond usb to dvi causes slow response time.

I am looking at that monitor. Buy.com has it for $680 I think. Leaning that way instead of the dual monitor. There doesn't appear to be a quick and easy method of doing two displays.
 
Back
Top