MacBook Pro battery cycle rate

Colonel_Panic

Limp Gawd
My mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro has been in heavy daily use since the end of 2009 and the AppleCare is done at the end of 2012. Checking iStatNano, I see charge cycles of 188 and a health of 88% new.

Anyone know what rate might allow a battery replacement through AppleCare?

Those with similarly aged machines, what are your cycles and health?

ezrem

Limp Gawd
AppleCare still only replaces batteries in the first year, like the original warranty, if I recall correctly.

At least that was the case with my 2008 MacBook pro.

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
It would have to be an abnormal amount of battery loss denoting a defective battery.
I had a battery replaced in my (almost) third year of Apple care because I had a battery that cycled 40 times and was at like 70%.
Applecare doesn't cover "normal wear and tear."

Morazl

[H]ard|Gawd
Colonel Panic,

88% sounds about right given the age/cycle count. Are you noticing some large amount of lost battery life or something? Or you just see 88% and think that needs replacement? I'm not really seeing a problem here. This is normal wear and tear.

I know your question was specifically about what Applecare covers in this department - wouldn't it be simple enough to just.. check with them? I don't mean to sound like an ass, but they can give you a quick answer. Probably much faster than these apple forums, given their low activity for the most part.

lamboman

Gawd
It's "supposed" to be 80% after 1000 charge cycles; it's presumed that this is what the battery health percentage means.

To be honest though, I'd ignore it. Concentrate on battery life instead; after all, isn't that what the battery is for? :)

Colonel_Panic

Limp Gawd
Colonel Panic,

88% sounds about right given the age/cycle count. Are you noticing some large amount of lost battery life or something? Or you just see 88% and think that needs replacement? I'm not really seeing a problem here. This is normal wear and tear.

I know your question was specifically about what Applecare covers in this department - wouldn't it be simple enough to just.. check with them? I don't mean to sound like an ass, but they can give you a quick answer. Probably much faster than these apple forums, given their low activity for the most part.

Thanks for the thoughts. 88% is in the "butter zone", so to speak, so I'm more interested in seeing at point I should consider an AppleCare replacement before the warranty runs dry.

ryken

2[H]4U
Thanks for the thoughts. 88% is in the "butter zone", so to speak, so I'm more interested in seeing at point I should consider an AppleCare replacement before the warranty runs dry.

It would have to be so bad that they determine it's defective. If it couldn't hold a charge for an hour with normal internet use, then maybe you'd get somewhere, but it would probably have to be like <30-45 minutes.