• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Macbook Pro and Merom

[H]ard On

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
80
I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that I was really disappointed at the lack of a "Merom's are going inside the Macbook Pro" announcement at the WWDC. I was really geared up to buy one, but with the possibility of a hardware upgrade so close, I can't really justify buying one now. I know it's foolish to get stuck in the waiting cycle, but I think this upgrade is too close on the horizon.

That being said, has anyone heard anything around forums, websites, or rumor mills about the when apple expects to start shipping Merom Macbook Pros? I'm hoping their expo in Paris will bring some good news, but if anyone has any tidbits to throw out, that'd be awesome.
 
They'll probably announce it in Paris if not earlier through a quiet release. All speculation of course :)
 
i dunno how many times have to say this. the memron isn't produced at large enough numbers yet to go into the MBP. As you might know the Memron was announced earlier then expected anyway, so you shouldn't complain. The best guess is Paris, since by then they should have large enough in stock.
 
merome isn't supposed to be avalible until the end of this month. They may be waiting until they can ship machines with it to announce it.
 
the performance difference of a MEROM over the yonah will be around the area of 10%...
 
basides, apple is going to milk yonah as much as possible before switching to merom.......most people are happy with the performace with their new intel macs, so apple won't have to much of a reason to switch real soon.....
 
Arcygenical said:
the performance difference of a MEROM over the yonah will be around the area of 10%...

The biggest reason of probably going with Memron over Yonah is the 64-bit support.
 
Arcygenical said:
the performance difference of a MEROM over the yonah will be around the area of 10%...

I've heard more along the lines of up to 30%.
 
Apple usually always waits until they have machines built and ready to sell that day before they make an announcement.
 
synergyo1 said:
The biggest reason of probably going with Memron over Yonah is the 64-bit support.

That may mean Merom may not really be worth it until Leopard ships when 64-bit support will be fully implemented in the OS. Of course, we've been hearing the 64-bit hype for so long and with so little to show for it that I'm beginning to doubt that, outside of very specialized situations like scientific work, there is really going to be large boost to performance from 64-bit.

Also, like someone else posted, Merom's boost over Yonah is fairly minimal with the current platform. It may not really show its colors until the new Santa Rosa platform comes out next year. Check out Anandtech's comparison of Merom and Yonah:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808
 
Lich said:
Apple usually always waits until they have machines built and ready to sell that day before they make an announcement.

very true cause what they did once was announce a product at MacWorld and didn't properly release until like 8 months later
 
Biest said:
i dunno how many times have to say this. the memron isn't produced at large enough numbers yet to go into the MBP. As you might know the Memron was announced earlier then expected anyway, so you shouldn't complain. The best guess is Paris, since by then they should have large enough in stock.
Supplying chips for Apple is probably the least of Intel's worries, the demand from Dell and the like is going to be much, much higher.

When Merom is offcially launched and avaliable to OEM channels there will be plenty for Apple to use.
 
outside of very specialized situations like scientific work, there is really going to be large boost to performance from 64-bit.

Therein lies my concern. I do a lot of scientific work, with programs like Amber, Gaussian, and MOE (www.chemcomp.com), so having a processor that's 10% faster can mean shaving hours or days off of long, arduous calculations.

Thanks for the tidbits so far though.
 
[H]ard On said:
Therein lies my concern. I do a lot of scientific work, with programs like Amber, Gaussian, and MOE (www.chemcomp.com), so having a processor that's 10% faster can mean shaving hours or days off of long, arduous calculations.

Thanks for the tidbits so far though.

That is true i experience that everyday with my work here, damn how I hate that slow Sun Blade Workstation
 
Biest said:
That is true i experience that everyday with my work here, damn how I hate that slow Sun Blade Workstation

It's a shame Sun has fallen behind lately, I loved working on the Sun machines when I was in college, I even preferred the Sun based X-terms to the dedicated Windows or Mac machines in the labs.
 
NulloModo said:
It's a shame Sun has fallen behind lately, I loved working on the Sun machines when I was in college, I even preferred the Sun based X-terms to the dedicated Windows or Mac machines in the labs.

the machine is 3 years old that is the main problem I guess. But yes Sun has fallen behing esp. in respect to Workstations. the servers are fine and processors are up there, but somehow nobody wants to use them anymore
 
Biest said:
i dunno how many times have to say this. the memron isn't produced at large enough numbers yet to go into the MBP. As you might know the Memron was announced earlier then expected anyway, so you shouldn't complain. The best guess is Paris, since by then they should have large enough in stock.


i dunno how many times have to say this. MEROM




that said, I wouldn't hold your breath. Merom isn't worth it until Santa Rosa comes out.
 
rayman2k2 said:
i dunno how many times have to say this. MEROM




that said, I wouldn't hold your breath. Merom isn't worth it until Santa Rosa comes out.

Hmm, memron has certain Enron overtones to it.
 
Hahahha, we actually have an SGI workstation at work too, running IRIX. Too bad it sucks balls now. Fun story, 2 summers ago it was so damn hot that one of our other SGI's actually MELTED. The motherboard was sagging and melty, and it was dead as a doornail. Good times.
 
Look what just popped up!

Reghardware claims cites a Chinese language report that Apple is readying both of its laptop models for Core 2 Duo "Merom" CPU's, due next month. There had been some Page 2 rumors that Apple would update the MacBook pro to include Merom at WWDC which failed to materialize, but this is the first report that has indicated that Apple would also move its more consumer-oriented laptop model to Core 2 Duo that quickly. AppleInsider has previously suggested that the MacBook would remain a Core Duo "Yonah" CPU for the time being.


While no hard insider information exists pointing to the specs of the new machines, currently Merom tops out at 2.33 GHz, so it is not unreasonable to believe that Apple will use the 2.33 GHz chip in its MacBook Pro, and slightly slower speeds in its MacBooks. Also of note, Merom being a Core 2 Duo chip has architectural advances over Core Duo ("Yonah") such as 64-bit support and a 4 MB L2 Cache in higher end models.

So, yeah, great!
 
Back
Top